CHICAGO--(BUSINESS WIRE)--Humana Inc.’s (NYSE: HUM) signature Humana Healthier Choices program has guided festival-goers to healthier items available at Taste of Chicago, the world’s largest free admission food festival, for 10 years. Since its inception in 2008, the program has grown from 11 to 71 healthy dishes, reaffirming that eating healthy is possible – and delicious – for food festival attendees.
The 2017 Humana Healthier Choices – selected based on calories, saturated fat, sodium and ingredients by a panel of physicians and nutrition experts – showcases 71 healthy food options from 29 Chicago restaurants. Nearly half of the festival’s food vendors are offering the healthier items this year. To accommodate various diets, the list also highlights 17 vegetarian items and 16 gluten-free items—nine of which are also Humana Healthier Choices—available at Taste of Chicago.
“At Humana, we’re extremely proud of a successful program that has, over the years, become part of the festival’s culture and made Taste-goers more conscious of healthier food options available to them,” said Neal Fischer, M.D., Humana Regional Medical Director. “This is a continuation of the commitment Humana has always shown to the health and well-being of the Chicago community.”
Several local restaurants that have offered healthier choices since the program’s inception have noticed the crowds’ growing interest in making calorie-conscious choices at Taste.
“We’ve been part of the Humana Healthier Choices program since the beginning, and every year we look forward to participating,” said Chris Bober, owner of Kasia’s Deli, a restaurant involved in the program since the start. “We’re thankful to Humana for making festival-goers aware of healthier dishes they can enjoy, such as our chicken kebob, for the past 10 years.”
All restaurants participating in the 2017 Taste of Chicago were invited to submit their dishes and nutritional details, including calories, sodium, saturated fat and ingredients, for consideration by Humana.
Humana Healthier Choices for Taste of Chicago 2017 (vegetarian options noted by a V and gluten-free options noted by GF):
Appetizers/Starters – 320 calories, 300 mg sodium and 2 g saturated fat
- Taste Portion: Veggie Burger—Beat Kitchen (V)
- Taste Portion: Mustard Fried Catfish—BJ’s Market
- Taste Portion: Grilled Chicken Taco—Carbon Live Mexican Grill
- Chili Lime Watermelon—Farmer’s Fridge
- Taste Portion: Avocado Toast—Farmer’s Fridge (V)
- Taste Portion: Chili Lime Watermelon—Farmer’s Fridge
- Ginger Garlic Wings—Iyanze
- Taste Portion: Malnati Salad—Lou Malnati’s (V)
- Celtic Corn on the Cob—O'Brien's Restaurant
- Taste Portion: Sweet Potato Fries—O'Brien's Restaurant
- Taste Portion: Chili Coconut Curry Chicken Bowl—Brightwok Kitchen (GF)
- Taste Portion: Chap Chae—Jin Ju (V)
- Pig Candy—Pork & Mindy's
- Taste Portion: Cauliflower Hummus—The Little Beet Table (GF) (V)
- Taste Portion: Cucumber Gazpacho—The Little Beet Table (GF) (V)
- Taste Portion: Chicken Tacos—La Cocinita
Main Dishes –500 calories, 500 mg sodium and 4 g saturated fat
- Veggie Burger—Beat Kitchen (V)
- Mustard Fried Catfish—BJ’s Market
- Grilled Steak Taco—Carbon Live Fire Mexican Grill
- Grilled Chicken Taco—Carbon Live Fire Mexican Grill
- Taste Portion: Smoked Alligator—Chicago's Dog House
- Mini Chicago Style Hot Dog—Chicago's Dog House
- Spinach Artichoke Quesadilla—Doom Street Eats (GF) (V)
- Avocado Toast—Farmer's Fridge (V)
- Vegetarian Greens and Plantains—Iyanze (V)
- Jerk Chicken—Iyanze
- Chicken & Vegetable Skewer w/Curry Basmati Rice—Kasia's Deli
- Malnati Salad—Lou Malnati's (V)
- Pulled Chicken Sandwich—Porkchop
- Pulled Chicken Slider—Porkchop
- Pulled Chicken Sandwich—Robinson No1 Ribs
- Grilled Chicken Satay with Peanut Sauce and Cucumber Salad—Star of Siam
- Taste Portion: Pot Stickers—Star of Siam
- Taste Portion: Pad Thai Noodles—Star of Siam
- Gyza - Shrimp and Vegetable—Ukai Japanese Restaurant
- Taste Portion: Gyza - Shrimp and Vegetable—Ukai Japanese Restaurant
- Yakisoba—Ukai Japanese Restaurant
- Tempura - Shrimp and Vegetable—Ukai Japanese Restaurant
- Tahini Ginger Tofu Bowl—Brightwok Kitchen (GF) (V)
- Taste Portion: Ginger Tofu Bowl—Brightwok Kitchen (GF) (V)
- Chili Coconut Curry Chicken Bowl—Brightwok Kitchen (GF)
- Lamb Shammi Burger—Hakka Bakka Indian Kati Rolls
- Chap Chae—Jin Ju (V)
- Thai Chicken Crunch Salad—Just Salad
- Cauliflower Hummus—The Little Beet Table (GF) (V)
- Cucumber Gazpacho—The Little Beet Table (GF) (V)
- Chicken Tacos—La Cocinita
- Black Bean & Cheese Arepa w/Salsa Verde—La Cocinita (V)
- Grilled Cheese—The Fat Shallot
Desserts – 320 calories, 300 mg sodium and 2 g saturated fat
- Taste Portion: Limone (Lemon) Sorbet—Caffe Gelato
- Taste Portion: Strawberry Sorbet—Caffe Gelato
- Lemon Italian Ice—Connie's Pizza
- Watermelon Italian Ice—Connie's Pizza
- Italian Lemon Ice—Franco’s Ristorante
- Taste Portion: Italian Lemon Ice—Franco's Ristorante
- Italian Watermelon Ice—Franco's Ristorante
- Taste Portion: Italian Watermelon Ice—Franco’s Ristorante
- Strawberry Paleta—La Mexicana
- Mango Paleta—La Mexicana
- Lemon-Lime Paleta—La Mexicana
- Watermelon Paleta—La Mexicana
- Mini Watermelon Paleta—La Mexicana
- Mini Strawberry Paleta—La Mexicana
- Mango Sorbet—Star of Siam
- Chocolate Dipped Strawberry—The Fudge Pot
- Dark Chocolate Covered Pineapple—The Fudge Pot
- Dinky Donut (1)—Dinky Donuts
- Frozen Mango Kefir—The Lifeway Kefir Shop
- Taste Portion: Frozen Mango Kefir—The Lifeway Kefir Shop
- Frozen Original Kefir with Blueberries—The Lifeway Kefir Shop
- Taste Portion: Original Kefir with Blueberries—The Lifeway Kefir Shop
A panel of five top Chicago-area physicians and nutrition experts carefully reviewed each item to assure that nutritional values were met. The panel included: Kathleen Duffy, M.S., R.D., Diabetes Nutrition Educator, Rush Oak Park Hospital Diabetes and Endocrine Care Center; Neal Fischer, M.D., Humana Regional Medical Director, Medicare Operations, Great Lakes Region; Amy Hess-Fischl, M.S., R.D, Advanced Practice Dietitian and Program Coordinator at University of Chicago’s Kovler Diabetes Center; Donna Perisee, M.D., Ph.D., Humana Medical Director, Medicare Great Lakes Region, Health Services Organization; and Donna Prost, MS, RD, LDN, CDE, Adult Diabetes Education Manager, Amita Health Diabetic Education Services.
The Humana Healthier Choices food items are identified by a green “H” with a circular arrow around it and can be found on the menu boards at participating restaurant booths. The Humana Healthier Choices list will be handed out at the Humana tent, located on Columbus Drive between Jackson Boulevard and the Buckingham Fountain. The list can be found in the Taste of Chicago brochure. It can also be downloaded at the Taste of Chicago website, via facebook.com/TheTasteOfChicago and through the Taste of Chicago app.
Humana Healthier Choices Rewards Program
The Humana Healthier Choices Rewards Program will provide Taste-goers with incentives to participate in a host of well-being offerings. After receiving a free Humana Healthier Choices Rewards tag, which comes with a lanyard for a hands-free and convenient experience, participants can earn stamps by sampling Humana Healthier Choices food items and by participating in healthy activities at the Humana tent.
Once Taste-goers collect six stamps, they can drop off their tag at the Humana tent to be entered into random drawings for prizes donated by Taste of Chicago restaurants. Prize winners will be announced at the Humana tent on the evening of July 9 at 9 pm CST.
The Humana Healthy Challenge for Charity with 93XRT
Humana, along with WXRT-FM, will host The Humana Healthy Challenge for Charity streamed live from the CBS Radio Culinary Kitchen on June 22 via www.CulinaryKitchenChicago.com. The challenge will feature a cook-off between Jeff Mauro, Food Network star and Executive Chef of Chicago’s Pork & Mindy's, against WXRT DJ Mary Dixon, a seasoned and triumphant veteran of Humana’s challenges at Taste. The two will compete to cook the “tastiest snack for your soul”; Mary Dixon will compete for the Beth Emet Soup Kitchen, while Jeff Mauro pulls for the Hephzibah Children’s Association in Oak Park. The judging panel will consist of local personalities, including WXRT DJ Johnny Mars, John Meyer, Chef/President of BJ's Market and Supreme Lobster & Seafood Co.’s Carl Galvan.
Additional Offerings from Humana
Attendees are welcome to join in the musical-themed fun at the Humana tent – the “House of Healthy & Happy” – located on Columbus Drive between Jackson Boulevard and Buckingham Fountain. The tent will teach Taste-goers how to prioritize their mental health, as well as physical health, in an environment that showcases ways music can be incorporated into everyday life to promote peace of mind and improve overall well-being. Attendees can also reduce stress by coloring or doodling on Humana’s stress-free graffiti wall, which will be displayed at the tent along with a photo booth and trivia wheel. More information about Humana offerings is available at www.TasteofChicago.us.
Taste-goers are also encouraged to join the social media conversation and share their favorite Humana Healthier Choices food items throughout the 2017 Taste of Chicago on Facebook, Twitter and Instagram, mentioning @Humana, #StartwithHealthy and #TasteofChi.
The 37th Annual Taste of Chicago is July 5–9 in Grant Park. Hours are 11 a.m. – 9 p.m. from Wednesday to Friday, and 10 a.m. – 9 p.m. on Saturday and Sunday. For more information on the FREE admission festival, call (312) 744-3316 or visit www.TasteofChicago.us.
Humana Inc. is committed to helping our millions of medical and specialty members achieve their best health. Our successful history in care delivery and health plan administration is helping us create a new kind of integrated care with the power to improve health and well-being and lower costs. Our efforts are leading to a better quality of life for people with Medicare, families, individuals, military service personnel, and communities at large.
To accomplish that, we support physicians and other health care professionals as they work to deliver the right care in the right place for their patients, our members. Our range of clinical capabilities, resources and tools – such as in-home care, behavioral health, pharmacy services, data analytics and wellness solutions – combine to produce a simplified experience that makes health care easier to navigate and more effective.
More information regarding Humana is available to investors via the Investor Relations page of the company’s web site at www.humana.com, including copies of:
- Annual reports to stockholders
- Securities and Exchange Commission filings
- Most recent investor conference presentations
- Quarterly earnings news releases and conference calls
- Calendar of events
- Corporate Governance information