NEW HYDE PARK, N.Y.--(BUSINESS WIRE)--Kimco Realty Corp. (NYSE: KIM) announced today the release of its 2016 Corporate Responsibility Report. This fourth annual report provides a comprehensive account of Kimco’s performance on a range of environmental, social and governance aspects.
“Over the past several years, we’ve been hard at work transforming Kimco’s business—reshaping our portfolio, cultivating new leaders from within, and establishing a 2020 Vision that will provide the strategic direction to deliver steady and recurring growth for many years to come,” said Conor Flynn, Chief Executive Officer at Kimco Realty. “During this period we’ve also developed a robust corporate responsibility program, establishing Kimco as an early industry leader and earning recognition from the Dow Jones Sustainability Indices, Global Real Estate Sustainability Benchmark, and others.”
“As we reflect on recent milestones and plan for the future, our team is committed to going beyond expectations to build a next-generation Real Estate Investment Trust,” said David Jamieson, Executive Vice President and Chief Operating Officer. “We understand that we must not only identify challenges, but seek solutions and innovations that will position Kimco for success. Sustainability serves as one of the lenses through which we are evaluating these emerging opportunities in our business.”
Kimco’s achievements for 2016 include:
- Named to the Dow Jones Sustainability North America Index, GRESB Green Star, and Newsweek’s Top Green Companies in the U.S.
- Achieved a cumulative 18 percent reduction in same-site energy consumption since 2011 by investing in property improvements that are delivering significant operational savings. The company is going beyond existing operations to embed sustainability criteria into the design of new properties and major redevelopments.
- Completed 170 sustainable improvement projects for a total investment of $10.1 million.
- Produced 3,564 megawatt hours of solar energy.
- Diverted approximately a quarter of all operational waste (57,313 metric tons) from landfills or incinerators.
- Launched initiatives that exemplify Kimco’s commitment to developing its talented team. Kimco’s employees are its most important asset, and the company made significant investments in diversity, education, and wellness programs in 2016.
- Contributed 476 hours of employee volunteer service through Kimco’s Community Connection program.
- Continued to build upon its long-term commitment to best practices in areas such as stakeholder engagement, corporate governance, ethics, and external reporting. Kimco recently expanded board- and executive-level involvement in its corporate responsibility program, and has also published a comprehensive ESG (environmental, social and governance) policy to clearly articulate program governance to external audiences.
The 34-page Corporate Responsibility Report follows the Global Reporting Initiative’s (GRI) G4 Sustainability Reporting Guidelines. The summary report is intended for all audiences and covers the most relevant content for stakeholders. The report appendix is designed as optional supplemental reading for those stakeholders interested in more detailed GRI indicator data on Kimco’s performance.
The digital version of the report can be accessed here.
About Kimco Realty
Kimco Realty Corp. (NYSE: KIM) is a real estate investment trust (REIT) headquartered in New Hyde Park, N.Y., that is one of North America’s largest publicly traded owners and operators of open-air shopping centers. As of March 31, 2017, the company owned interests in 517 U.S. shopping centers comprising 84 million square feet of leasable space across 34 states and Puerto Rico. Publicly traded on the NYSE since 1991, and included in the S&P 500 Index, the company has specialized in shopping center acquisitions, development and management for more than 50 years.