SAN FRANCISCO--(BUSINESS WIRE)--This week Invitae Corporation (NYSE: NVTA), a genetic information company, is participating in the National Society of Genetic Counselors (NSGC) 35th Annual Education Conference in Seattle, highlighting new research on genetic testing for preventive care and new strategies for providing remote access to genetic counseling services.
NSGC is the largest scientific session for genetic counselors. Invitae’s presenters will discuss:
- The role of genetic testing in guiding preventive care is an area of keen interest for many patients and their primary clinicians. A presentation describing a medically actionable genetic test panel aimed at supporting prevention of disease will outline a model for how preventive genetic testing should be provided and can yield useful results for healthy patients (Presentation #D12-1377).
- Interest in genetic testing continues to rise, but the number of genetic counselors has not kept pace with demand, creating significant challenges for patients in need of genetic counseling. Invitae’s genetic counseling team will describe a novel model for providing remote genetic counseling services to patients with limited access to genetic counselors (Presentation #C04-1030).
- Understanding the significance of genetic variants for risk of inherited disease continues to expand, with important implications for the diagnosis and treatment of inherited disease. The company will present our findings on the genetic analysis of inherited pediatric cardiomyopathy patients and how such analysis provides insight into the significant clinical variability among all cardiomyopathy patients (Poster #A-142).
In addition to the scientific program, the company has partnered with Genome magazine and NSGC, supported by Global Genes and Genetic Alliance, to establish the inaugural Code Talker Award to recognize genetic counselors who have had a significant impact on the lives of their patients.
“Genetic testing is quickly reshaping how clinicians diagnose, treat, and potentially even prevent disease,” said Sean George, president and chief operating officer at Invitae. “At Invitae, we are committed to bringing genetics into mainstream medicine. Ensuring patients have access to testing and genetic counseling is critical to improving and optimizing outcomes.”
The full titles and schedule of the Invitae posters and presentations are as follows:
- Poster #A-142: Inherited cardiomyopathies in the pediatric population – what molecular testing reveals | Presented by Sienna Aguilar, MS, CGC, Invitae. 6:15 pm PDT, September 28.
- Poster #B-290: Mammalian species conservation data and the implication for clinical variant classification | Presented by Yuya Kobayashi, PhD, Invitae. 5:45 pm PDT, September 29.
- Presentation #C04-1030: A novel approach to lab-based clinical genetic counseling | Presented by Kate Lynch, MS, LCGC, Invitae. 10:00 am PDT, September 30.
- Poster #C-69: Novel large rearrangement of RAD51D in an ovarian and breast cancer family | Presented by Brittany Burnett, MS, CGC, Sharp Healthcare in collaboration with Karen Ouyang, PhD, FACMG, Invitae. 11:30 am PDT, September 30.
- Educational Breakout Session #D04: Bioinformatics for Genetic Counselors 2.0: (More) Knowledge is Power | Presented by Michelle Fox, MS, LCGC; Erica Ramos, MS, LCGC, Illumina; Eric W. Klee, PhD, Mayo Clinic; Steve Lincoln, Invitae. 10:15 am PDT, October 1.
Lunch symposium: Hereditary Cancer: Current and Future Challenges.
11:45 am PDT, October 1. Presentations include:
- The current state of genetic testing and counseling | Presented by Andrea Forman, MS, LCGC, Fox Chase Cancer Center
- Asking the right questions and testing your test provider | Presented by Steve Lincoln, Invitae
- Emerging challenges in genetic counseling | Presented by Julie Cohen, ScM, CGC, Kennedy Krieger Institute
- Presentation #D12-1377: Creating a medically actionable genetic screening panel for healthy individuals | Presented by Eden Haverfield, PhD, FACMG, Invitae. 2:15pm, PDT, October 1.
For additional information on Invitae’s presence at NSGC, please visit www.invitae.com/nsgc2016. Additional information on the NSGC Annual Education Conference is also available at http://nsgc.org/2016aec.
Invitae Corporation's (NYSE: NVTA) mission is to bring comprehensive genetic information into mainstream medical practice to improve the quality of healthcare for billions of people. Invitae’s goal is to aggregate most of the world’s genetic tests into a single service with higher quality, faster turnaround time, and lower price than many single-gene and panel tests today. The company currently provides a diagnostic service comprising hundreds of genes for a variety of genetic disorders associated with oncology, cardiology, neurology, pediatrics, and other rare disease areas. For more information, visit our website at invitae.com.
Safe Harbor Statements
This press release contains forward-looking statements within the meaning of the Private Securities Litigation Reform Act of 1995, including statements relating to genetic testing and its impact on diagnosis, treatment and prevention of disease; the company’s commitment to bringing genetics into mainstream medicine; and that patient access to testing and genetic counseling is critical to improving and optimizing outcomes. Forward-looking statements are subject to risks and uncertainties that could cause actual results to differ materially, and reported results should not be considered as an indication of future performance. These risks and uncertainties include, but are not limited to: risks associated with the company’s ability to use rapidly changing genetic data to interpret test results accurately and consistently; laws and regulations applicable to the company’s business, including state licensing requirements and potential regulation by the Food and Drug Administration; the company’s ability to develop and commercialize new tests and expand into new markets; and the other risks set forth in the company’s filings with the Securities and Exchange Commission, including the risks set forth in the company’s Quarterly Report on Form 10-Q for the quarter ended June 30, 2016. These forward-looking statements speak only as of the date hereof, and Invitae Corporation disclaims any obligation to update these forward-looking statements.
NOTE: Invitae and the Invitae logo are trademarks of Invitae Corporation. All other trademarks and service marks are the property of their respective owners.