SEATTLE--(BUSINESS WIRE)--(NASDAQ:AMZN) – The second annual Prime Day was the biggest day ever for Amazon. Amazon today announced customer orders surpassed Prime Day 2015 by more than 60% worldwide and more than 50% in the U.S. It was also the biggest day ever for Amazon devices globally and record Prime Day for each Amazon device category including Fire TV, Fire tablets, Kindle e-readers and Alexa-enabled devices. Prime Day was a great savings day too – members globally saved more than double on deals over Prime Day 2015.
“Prime itself is the best deal in the history of shopping, and Prime Day was created as a special benefit exclusively for our Prime members,” said Greg Greeley, Vice President, Amazon Prime. “We want to thank our tens of millions of members around the world for making this the biggest day in the history of Amazon. We hope you had as much fun as we did. After yesterday’s results, we’ll definitely be doing this again.”
Prime Day 2016 highlights globally:
- Sold over 2.5x more Amazon Fire TV devices compared to Prime Day last year – Fire TV Stick was the best-selling Amazon device.
- More than two million toys and more than one million pairs of shoes were purchased by customers on Prime Day 2016.
- More than 90,000 TVs were purchased on Prime Day 2016.
- Hundreds of thousands of Kindle e-readers sold on Prime Day.
- Prime member orders on the Amazon app surpassed Prime Day 2015 mobile app orders by more than 2x.
- More than a million customers used the Amazon app for the first time on Prime Day to shop and to watch-a-deal.
- The Prime Photos sweepstakes had two million submissions worldwide during the lead-up to Prime Day, the winner will be randomly selected on or about July 14.
Prime Day 2016 highlights from the U.S.:
- Amazon devices were up over 3x compared to Prime Day last year.
- Biggest day ever for Amazon Echo – up over 2.5x compared to previous record day.
- The most popular Amazon Dash Button brands purchased on Prime Day were Cascade, Charmin and Tide.
- Members purchased over 215,000 Instant Pot 7-in-1 Multi-Functional Pressure Cookers.
- Members purchased over 200,000 headphones.
- Members purchased over 24,000 Double Hammocks by Vivere.
- Members purchased over 23,000 iRobot Roomba 614 Vacuum Cleaning Robots.
- Members purchased over 14,000 Lenovo laptops.
- Members purchased on average one Alexa-exclusive deal per second during Prime Day using their voice.
- Prime members had exclusive access to deals on top rated TV series and blockbuster movies to rent or purchase and instantly stream on the Amazon Video app on TVs, mobile devices, Amazon Fire TV, Fire TV Stick, and Fire tablets, or online – the top three Prime Day deal titles purchased or rented were: Deadpool, Kung Fu Panda 3 and 13 Hours: The Secret Soldiers of Benghazi.
- Customers saved over $1 million on Kindle Unlimited memberships on Prime Day and the Prime Day Lead-up Deal on July 5.
- The most selected Audible audiobook on Prime Day was A Game of Thrones: A Song of Ice and Fire, Book 1.
Fire TV Stick was Amazon’s best-selling device globally. Other top sellers around the world, excluding Amazon devices were:
- U.S.: Instant Pot 7-in-1 Multi-Functional Pressure Cooker
- UK: Oral-B Pro 6000 CrossAction Electric Toothbrush with Bluetooth Connectivity and Smart Series
- Spain: SanDisk USB memory stick
- Japan: Calbee Breakfast Cereal 800 grams
- Italy: Lexar JumpDrive
- Germany and Austria: Tefal Jamie Oliver Frying Pan
- France and Belgium: Game of Thrones DVD – season 1 to 4
- Canada: Sennheiser HD 598 Special-Edition Over-Ear Headphones
Prime Day was another record-breaking success for the sellers and small businesses worldwide participating in the event. Small businesses and sellers on Amazon offering deals to Prime members saw orders nearly triple year-over-year on Prime Day – both worldwide and in the U.S. Feedback from sellers includes:
- “On Prime Day we had one of the largest sales days in our company’s 108 year history. Prime Day is a win for sellers and customers.” – Larry Frankel, Director of Business Development, Huppins/OneCall
- “Prime Day was our biggest day of the year! We more than quadrupled the number of sales from our previous biggest sales day.” – Emily Wilcox, Founder, Fayebeline
- “We offered customers our best products at great deals and they responded in a big way. Prime Day helped us reach our highest sales day ever.” – Dovi Brafman, CEO of Sharkk
- “On Prime Day we offered customers a great deal for the Nikon D3300 camera and the deal sold out within the first hour!” – Elazar Klein, Merchandising Director, Ritz Camera
- “We are absolutely thrilled. Gaining access to millions of Prime members on Prime Day was a huge win for us.” – Brian Buccella, Vice President of Marketing at Segway
- “Prime Day introduced Cielo to countless new customers and increased my daily sales 1000% in a single day!” – Christine Boerner, Founder, Cielo Pill Holders
- “On Prime Day this year Etekcity experienced unprecedented growth not just in the U.S. but globally through Fulfillment by Amazon.” – James Li, Director of Marketing, Etekcity
- “Amazon gives small businesses an amazing opportunity to get in front of a new audience with Prime Day. Prime Day was our biggest sales day of the year!” – Bridget Hilton, founder, LSTN Sound Co.
More to Prime
Tens of millions of Prime members around the world enjoy the many benefits of Prime. In the U.S., that includes unlimited Free Two-Day Shipping on more than 30 million items across all categories, unlimited Free Same-Day Delivery on more than a million items in 27 metro areas and one and two-hour delivery with Prime Now on tens of thousands of items available in more than 25 metro areas. In addition to fast, free shipping, members have access to unlimited streaming of tens of thousands of movies and TV episodes with Prime Video, more than one million songs and thousands of curated playlists and stations with Prime Music, early access to select Lightning Deals all year long, free secure unlimited photo storage with Prime Photos and one free pre-released book a month with Kindle First.
Amazon is guided by four principles: customer obsession rather than competitor focus, passion for invention, commitment to operational excellence, and long-term thinking. Customer reviews, 1-Click shopping, personalized recommendations, Prime, Fulfillment by Amazon, AWS, Kindle Direct Publishing, Kindle, Fire tablets, Fire TV, Amazon Echo, and Alexa are some of the products and services pioneered by Amazon. For more information, visit amazon.com/about.