AUSTIN, Texas--(BUSINESS WIRE)--BigCommerce, the leading ecommerce platform for fast-growing brands, today announced the winners of the 2016 BigCommerce Design Awards recognizing excellence in ecommerce design. Winning retailers included Di Bruno Bros., Marucci Sports, Nine Line Apparel, Sierra Designs and SISU Guard, which received awards for their distinctive storefront designs, compelling use of photography and exceptional user experience in their respective industry categories. The next BigCommerce Design Awards will commence in September, when the contest will also be expanded internationally.
BigCommerce’s Design Awards were judged by design leaders in the technology and fashion industries, including Josh Bisch, design lead at Uber; Mike Morello, COO of Digital for Inc. magazine; LaQuan Smith, Fashion Designer; and Andrea Wagner, head of design at BigCommerce.
“The award winners are incredible examples of thoughtful, immersive online store design, and were selected for their ability to create beautiful online experiences,” said Mike Morello. “These businesses see the value of sharing their brand through visual storytelling, and have a captivating approach to product merchandising.”
BigCommerce Design Awards finalists were selected based on five criteria: originality of storefront design, storefront navigation, quality and presentation of product imagery, mobile responsiveness and product page design. Winners were selected and awarded in several categories, including:
- Best Overall: Marucci Sports. Marucci, a sports equipment and apparel brand, placed as ‘best overall’ for its mastery of balancing high-quality, isolated product shots with vibrant colors and lifestyle imagery to lead customers through an exceptional purchase journey.
- Best in Food & Beverage: Di Bruno. Specialty food retailer Di Bruno Bros. was selected for its use of vivid product photography coupled with informative content and a user-friendly navigation designed to help customers explore and discover a wide range of culinary products.
- Best in Apparel: Nine Line Apparel. Veteran-owned Nine Line Apparel won best design in the apparel category for its engaging homepage, detailed product pages and mobile-friendly responsive design, all of which contribute to a store that makes shopping easy and intuitive on any device.
- Best in Sports & Recreation: SISU Guard. SISU Guard placed first in the sports and recreation category for bringing its brand to life through design, storytelling and an effective use of product reviews to compel customers to purchase its unique line of athletic mouthguards.
- People’s Choice: Sierra Designs. Sierra Designs received thousands of votes to win the ‘people’s choice’ award for its thoughtful navigation, crisp typography, large-scale product imagery and seamless customer experience.
“We’re incredibly humbled to be chosen as the winner of the BigCommerce Design Awards,” said Diana Perkins, lead web designer for Marucci Sports. “Our new design was built from the ground up to focus on mobile devices, which represent over 60% of our traffic; since launching on BigCommerce in November, we’ve seen a 50% increase in our mobile conversions and a 24% increase in our tablet conversions.”
“A well-designed online store will express the seller’s brand to their shoppers while also making their products easy to find, inviting to learn about, and frictionless to purchase,” said BigCommerce’s Andrea Wagner. “As judges, we felt that this year’s Design Awards winners did an exemplary job of balancing beauty and functionality with ecommerce best practices that drive demand.”
Merchants selling on the BigCommerce platform have access to a wide variety of ecommerce themes that are built for conversion, as well as one-click integrations, flexible APIs and a robust network of leading design and development agencies to customize and optimize their sites. The BigCommerce Design Awards recognize brands selling online through BigCommerce’s platform that exhibit industry-leading design, photography and customer experience. Winners received cash prizes, a feature placement in Inc. magazine and tickets to the 2016 Inc. 5000 Conference.
To learn more about the awards, visit: https://www.bigcommerce.com/blog/design-awards/
BigCommerce is the leading ecommerce platform for fast-growing and mid-market brands. According to analysis conducted by market research firm Ipsos, online stores built on BigCommerce grow approximately twice as fast as the ecommerce industry average. BigCommerce’s cloud-based platform enables merchants such as Dorco, Gibson, Martha Stewart, Saint Heron, Toyota and Travelpro to cost-effectively grow their businesses with more traffic, higher conversion and superior performance. BigCommerce supports clients from its headquarters in Austin, Texas, and offices in San Francisco and Sydney. For more information, visit BigCommerce.com.