NEW HYDE PARK, N.Y.--(BUSINESS WIRE)--Kimco Realty Corp. (NYSE:KIM) today announced that it has published its 2015 Corporate Responsibility Report. This third annual report provides a comprehensive account of Kimco’s performance on a range of social, environmental, and governance aspects.
“Since our formal corporate responsibility program launched in 2011, we have reduced same-site energy consumption within the company’s operational control by over 15 percent, a significant accomplishment considering the size of our shopping center portfolio,” said Conor Flynn, President & CEO of Kimco. “These results demonstrate our operating team’s dedication and commitment to improving the efficiency of our properties while improving the communities they serve. The report is intended to provide our stakeholders with insights into how we are making our business more sustainable through a concise, easy-to-read format.”
In addition to providing quantitative results for calendar year 2015, Kimco’s Corporate Responsibility Report offers insights into the company’s strategic motivations and approaches to corporate responsibility in areas such as operations, retail tenants and leasing, communities, employees, and governance.
“As we enter the next five years of our Corporate Responsibility program, we have three major priorities,” said Will Teichman, Senior Director of Strategic Operations at Kimco. “First, we will continue to lead by example, reducing energy and water consumption within our operational control. Second, we will implement sustainable construction standards as a part of the company’s significant strategic investment in redevelopment and development. Finally, we will foster closer partnerships with tenants on sustainability to address the largest driver of environmental impacts at our properties and lower the total occupancy cost at our shopping centers.”
Kimco’s environmental achievements for 2015 include:
- Decreased same-site energy consumption within operational control by over 15 percent since 2011, the direct result of significant investments in property efficiency upgrades and adoption of management best practices.
- Completed 172 sustainable improvement projects with a total investment of $9.7 million.
- Produced 3,380 megawatts per hour in solar energy.
- Diverted approximately a quarter of all operational waste (54,495 metric tons) from landfills.
- Contributed 361 hours of employee volunteer service through Kimco’s Community Connection program, which gives participants two full days of paid time off each year to help their communities.
- Added to the Dow Jones Sustainability North America Index and achieving a consecutive designation as a GRESB Green Star recipient.
- Honored by multiple third-party organizations including a 2014-2015 Green Lease Leader Award, 2015 Newsweek Top Green Companies in the U.S., and multiple Lighting Energy Efficiency in Parking (LEEP) awards.
The 32-page Corporate Responsibility Report follows the Global Reporting Initiative’s (GRI) G4 Sustainability Reporting Guidelines. The summary report is intended for all audiences and covers the most relevant content for stakeholders. The report appendix is designed as optional supplemental reading for those stakeholders interested in more detailed GRI indicator data on Kimco’s performance.
Access the digital version of the report at www.kimcocr.com.
About Kimco Realty
Kimco Realty Corp. (NYSE:KIM) is a real estate investment trust (REIT) headquartered in New Hyde Park, NY, and North America’s largest publicly traded owner and operator of open-air shopping centers. As of March 31, 2016, the company owned interests in 550 U.S. shopping centers comprising 88 million square feet of leasable space across 36 states and Puerto Rico. Publicly traded on the NYSE since 1991, and included in the S&P 500 Index, the company has specialized in shopping center acquisitions, development, and management for more than 50 years. For further information, please visit www.kimcorealty.com, the company’s blog at blog.kimcorealty.com, or follow Kimco on Twitter at www.twitter.com/kimcorealty.