AUSTIN, Texas--(BUSINESS WIRE)--Red Hat, Inc. (NYSE: RHT), the world's leading provider of open source solutions, today announced that leading organizations across Europe, including Fastweb, Paddy Power Betfair, and Produban, have deployed Red Hat OpenStack Platform as the backbone of their cloud initiatives.
Research firm IDC noted in early 2015, “As European enterprises enter the most critical phase in the 3rd Platform era – the innovation phase, they want new, yet cost-effective technologies to bring their ideas to fruition. Their desire to avoid vendor lock-ins, and reduce software licensing fees are steering them to evaluate OpenStack for building their cloud infrastructures.”1 According to the 2016 Red Hat Global Customer Tech Outlook, OpenStack proofs-of-concept (POCs) and deployments are expected to accelerate in 2016, with 39 percent of respondents planning to implement OpenStack POCs or production deployments this year.
Red Hat is a private and hybrid cloud leader, with open source solutions spanning the datacenter’s four footprints - from bare metal and virtualized environments to private and public cloud. Red Hat is also a staunch supporter and leading provider of OpenStack - both in contributions to the upstream OpenStack community as well as delivery of a production-ready OpenStack platform to enterprise customers. Red Hat OpenStack Platform, a highly scalable, production-ready Infrastructure-as-a-Service (IaaS) solution, has emerged as the open source cloud platform of choice for a growing number of global organizations. Co-engineered with Red Hat Enterprise Linux and hardened and backed by Red Hat's support lifecycle, Red Hat OpenStack Platform offers a proven, fully open foundation for cloud deployments.
In Europe, Red Hat has seen strong momentum, highlighted by several successful production deployments, including:
- Fastweb, a leading Italian telecommunications company, provides enterprise cloud-based information and communications technology (ICT) services to Italian businesses that lack internal resources to independently develop and support them. As its user uptake grew, Fastweb needed to improve the automation and self-service capabilities according to the highly dynamic customer needs. Therefore, in order to meet the market needs with an agile and flexible approach, Fastweb migrated to Red Hat OpenStack Platform.
- Paddy Power Betfair, one of the largest online betting companies, and the largest betting exchange in the world, built its success by using technology as a strategic advantage to disrupt the betting industry. Paddy Power Betfair’s i2 program, which aims to create a greenfield private cloud platform for Paddy Power Betfair using Red Hat OpenStack Platform and software-defined networking (SDN) in order to support continuous delivery of Paddy Power Betfair’s applications. With its new OpenStack-based private cloud, Paddy Power Betfair can deliver a new network and hosting infrastructure based on IaaS principles, hosting all development, test and production applications, and the associated tooling in a single location. Using SDN, Paddy Power Betfair reports that it has been able to reduce its reliance on physical networking equipment and simplify network operations, enabling them to process more transaction volume per second with less server downtime.
- Produban, Santander bank’s IT services company, specializes in the continuous design and IT infrastructure operation. Produban’s global footprint includes 10 datacenters to support all of Grupo Santander’s businesses, including Banco Santander, S.A., one of Europe’s largest banks and among the largest banks globally by market value. To support its global datacenters, Produban built a hybrid cloud infrastructure based on Red Hat OpenStack Platform, Red Hat Ceph Storage, Red Hat CloudForms, and software-defined technology from Nuage Networks, a Red Hat certified partner. Produban also deployed OpenShift Enterprise, Red Hat’s container application-development platform, as the default Platform-as-a-Service (PaaS) solution to develop and deploy its enterprise banking applications. The new solution meets Produban’s requirements for an open hybrid cloud that includes core infrastructure (IaaS), DevOps (PaaS), and multi-cloud management, all built on an underlying virtualized network.
Radhesh Balakrishnan, general manager, OpenStack, Red Hat
“Red Hat is making an impact on the global marketplace as a growing number of companies recognize the benefits of OpenStack. We are thrilled that so many industry leaders are embracing our vision for cloud computing across both private and hybrid deployments, and hope to grow our community of customers experiencing similar success with OpenStack.”
Mirko Santocono, product manager, Cloud Computing Services, Fastweb
“Fastweb, a leading Italian telecommunications company, provides enterprise cloud-based ITC services to Italian businesses that lack internal resources to independently develop and support them. As its user uptake grew, Fastweb needed to improve the automation and self-service capabilities according to the highly dynamic customer needs. Therefore, in order to meet the market needs with an agile and flexible approach, Fastweb migrated to Red Hat OpenStack Platform.”
Paul Cutter, CTO, Paddy Power Betfair
“The primary factor that justified our investment in Red Hat was the excellent cultural fit between our two companies. We rely as a business on a wide range of Red Hat technologies including Red Hat Enterprise Linux, Red Hat OpenStack Platform, and Red Hat Enterprise Virtualization. The i2 program enabled by OpenStack is a massive part of our business and impacts millions of active customers on a daily basis."
Juan Antonio de la Fuente Osuna, director, Cloud Engineering,
“The IaaS deployment enabled by Red Hat OpenStack Platform provide next generation capabilities to Produban taking us to the next level as an IT service provider. It is important to note that arguably the most influential part of the OpenStack solution came from Red Hat Consulting, which played a significant role in our architecture designs, and worked with us in deployments, upgrades and fine tuning, and also provided workshops when necessary.”
Connect with Red Hat
- Learn more about Red Hat
- Get more news in the Red Hat newsroom
- Read the Red Hat blog
- Follow Red Hat on Twitter
- Like Red Hat on Facebook
- Watch Red Hat videos on YouTube
- Join Red Hat on Google±
- Follow Red Hat on LinkedIn
About Red Hat, Inc.
Red Hat is the world's leading provider of open source software solutions, using a community-powered approach to reliable and high-performing cloud, Linux, middleware, storage and virtualization technologies. Red Hat also offers award-winning support, training, and consulting services. As a connective hub in a global network of enterprises, partners, and open source communities, Red Hat helps create relevant, innovative technologies that liberate resources for growth and prepare customers for the future of IT. Learn more at http://www.redhat.com.
Certain statements contained in this press release may constitute "forward-looking statements" within the meaning of the Private Securities Litigation Reform Act of 1995. Forward-looking statements provide current expectations of future events based on certain assumptions and include any statement that does not directly relate to any historical or current fact. Actual results may differ materially from those indicated by such forward-looking statements as a result of various important factors, including: risks related to the ability of the Company to compete effectively; the ability to deliver and stimulate demand for new products and technological innovations on a timely basis; delays or reductions in information technology spending; the effects of industry consolidation; the integration of acquisitions and the ability to market successfully acquired technologies and products; uncertainty and adverse results in litigation and related settlements; the inability to adequately protect Company intellectual property and the potential for infringement or breach of license claims of or relating to third party intellectual property; risks related to data and information security vulnerabilities; ineffective management of, and control over, the Company's growth and international operations; fluctuations in exchange rates; and changes in and a dependence on key personnel, as well as other factors contained in our most recent filings with the Securities and Exchange Commission (copies of which may be accessed through the Securities and Exchange Commission's website at http://www.sec.gov), including those found therein under the captions "Risk Factors" and "Management's Discussion and Analysis of Financial Condition and Results of Operations." In addition to these factors, actual future performance, outcomes, and results may differ materially because of more general factors including (without limitation) general industry and market conditions and growth rates, economic and political conditions, governmental and public policy changes and the impact of natural disasters such as earthquakes and floods. The forward-looking statements included in this press release represent the Company's views as of the date of this press release and these views could change. However, while the Company may elect to update these forward-looking statements at some point in the future, the Company specifically disclaims any obligation to do so. These forward-looking statements should not be relied upon as representing the Company's views as of any date subsequent to the date of this press release.
Red Hat, Red Hat Enterprise Linux, OpenShift, CloudForms, Ceph, and the Shadowman logo are trademarks or registered trademarks of Red Hat, Inc. or its subsidiaries in the U.S. and other countries. Linux® is the registered trademark of Linus Torvalds in the U.S. and other countries. The OpenStack mark is either a registered trademark/service mark or trademark/service mark of the OpenStack Foundation, in the United States and other countries, and is used with the OpenStack Foundation's permission. We are not affiliated with, endorsed or sponsored by the OpenStack Foundation, or the OpenStack community.
1 IDC, “OpenStack – Ready for Prime Time in Europe?,” available at http://nordic.idc.com/eng/about-idc/press-center/60698-openstack-ready-for-prime-time-in-europe