NEW YORK--(BUSINESS WIRE)--NHK WORLD TV (nhk.jp/nhkworld), a stand-alone 24-hour English language TV channel produced by NHK, Japan’s sole public independent broadcasting corporation, is launching a July promotion in six key U.S. markets to celebrate the network’s Japanese and Asian news and lifestyle programming availability in the United States for more than five years.
“We are working closely with our affiliates in New York, Los Angeles, Chicago, Philadelphia, San Francisco and Washington, DC to help raise awareness for our high-quality news and entertainment programming,” said Yoshihiko Shimizu, President and CEO, Japan International Broadcasting, the distribution company of NHK. “We have selected five of our flagship lifestyle programs to air in primetime slots the week of July 13, and have made strategic media buys with local and national cable, radio and digital media outlets to also bring attention to our news programming. ‘Newsroom Tokyo,’ ‘Newsline’ and ‘Global Agenda’ all provide U.S. viewers with independent, credible reporting on Japan and Asia from 29 news bureaus around the world.”
“Over the past five years, the presence of NHK World in the United States has continued to grow at a steady pace,” said Jay Campbell, President of CAV International, who handles U.S. distribution for NHK WORLD TV. “The network’s leading news program, ‘Newsline,’ has an especially strong presence, airing in more than 85% of U.S. homes on public broadcasting channels.”
The programs that will be featured in this July promotion include:
- Newsroom Tokyo (image, right) - Weekday news program with comprehensive, in-depth coverage and commentary on Japan and Asia.
- Newsline - Journalists from around the world report news and breaking news, including the latest in politics, business, technology and culture in Asia.
- Global Agenda – An ongoing series featuring debates among global leaders, who take on challenging issues currently facing Japan and the rest of the world.
- Samurai Wheels - Hosts introduce the latest Japanese-made automobiles and celebrate the country’s car culture.
- Kabuki Kool (image, right) - An exploration of the world of Kabuki, with shows selected based on modern themes and featuring Kabuki’s creative staging.
- Tokyo Eye 2020 – Discover the greatest aspects of the world’s most exciting metropolis as it begins a new transformation in the run-up to the 2020 Tokyo Olympic Games.
- Journeys in Japan – Foreign reporters travel around Japan, meeting new people, exploring the local culture and offering travel hints rarely found in guidebooks.
- Dining with the Chef – This program introduces the worldview and attraction of Japanese cuisine and contemplates with the overall harmony of a variety of ingredients.
NHK WORLD TV is available 24 hours a day in 280 million households across 150 countries and regions. Available in six of the top 10 television markets, the network can be viewed on:
- New York – WRNN-TV
- Los Angeles – KCETLink
- Chicago – WYIN-TV
- Philadelphia – WYBE MiND
- San Francisco – KRCB-TV
- Washington, DC – WNVS-TV (MHz)
About Japan International Broadcasting, Inc.
Japan International Broadcasting Inc. (JIB), a subsidiary of NHK, is responsible for the worldwide distribution of the HD English language news/lifestyle program “NHK WORLD TV”, as well as the Japanese language program “NHK WORLD Premium.” Currently, the two channels are broadcast around the world the two channels are broadcast around the world on three international satellites plus domestic satellites in their respective markets and reach households, hotels and others via DTH, cable, IPTV and terrestrial broadcast.