INDIANAPOLIS--(BUSINESS WIRE)--Summer is well under way, and that means the dulcet tones of hammers and saws will be filling the air in neighborhoods across America.
Requests for information on remodeling contractors in June, July and August account for about one-third of the total remodeling requests for the other nine months of the year. Angie’s List members conducted nearly 80,000 searches for remodeling contractors in June alone.
Angie’s List (NASDAQ: ANGI) has gathered consumer reviews on home-related, local service companies for 20 years. In a November 2014 Angie’s List survey of more than 1,000 service providers, 62 percent said they were expecting bigger budget projects compared to last season.
“Economic indications say they were right, which is great news, but it means it’s time for a refresher for consumers on how to hire smart,” said Angie’s List Founder Angie Hicks. “Too many homeowners will hire too quickly and regret it.”
Hicks offers the primer below on how to hire smart but also encourages consumers to check out the plethora of hiring guides and information on the Angie’s List website free of charge.
5 Things You MUST do Before Hiring a Contractor:
- Research 5-10 potential companies to determine local reputation, how well their work stands the test of time and if they specialize in the work you want done.
- Get at least three written estimates to compare costs and timelines.
- Verify applicable trade license, bonding and insurance status.
- Insist on a payment schedule tied to project progress and keep at least 10 percent back until the job is complete to your satisfaction.
- Include the payment schedule in your written contract and a termination clause that allows you to walk away easily if terms aren’t met.
The most popular projects cited in the Angie's List survey involve kitchens, bathrooms, bedrooms and lighting. Customers are also asking for bigger closets and pantries.
Angie's List helps facilitate happy transactions between more than three million consumers nationwide and its collection of highly rated service providers in 720 categories of service, ranging from home improvement to health care. Built on a foundation of authentic reviews of local service, Angie's List connects consumers directly to its online marketplace of services from member-reviewed providers, and offers unique tools and support designed to improve the local service experience for both consumers and service professionals.