FRAMINGHAM, Mass.--(BUSINESS WIRE)--According to the International Data Corporation (IDC) Worldwide Quarterly Enterprise Client Device Tracker, worldwide thin client and terminal client device shipments totaled 1.2 million units in the first quarter of 2013 (1Q13), a decrease of 8.4% from the same quarter a year ago and 14.2% lower than IDC forecast for the quarter. IDC expects the market to recover over the remainder of the year with 5.6 million units forecast to be shipped in 2013, representing 7% year-over-year growth for the year. By 2017, these devices are expected to reach 9.2 million units shipped worldwide.
"With increasing adoption of cloud and virtualization, growth is expected in all form factors, including mobile and with liquid crystal display (LCD), although standalone will still dominate," said Jennifer Song, Research Analyst, Worldwide Trackers. "The United States will continue to capture the majority of the market and is expected to grow, but the strongest growth will be in China. These two major markets will lead the shift towards virtualization in the commercial segment."
- Thin Clients make up the vast majority (96%) of enterprise client devices.
- The standalone form factor constitutes the largest segment of the overall market at 89% share. The mobile form factor is growing the fastest in Japan. Thin clients with LCD are dominant in Asia/Pacific (excluding Japan)(APeJ), the U.S., and Western Europe.
- Thin Clients without operating systems (zero clients) hold 24% share among the thin client segment. Linux-based thin clients are slightly larger at 25%.
"The worldwide enterprise client device market is highly concentrated, with the top five firms capturing more than 74% of the total market," said Rajani Singh, Research Analyst, Personal Computing at IDC.
- HP – HP continued to rank number 1 in 1Q13 with 28.2% worldwide market share. They also rank first in 4 out of 8 regions.
- DellWyse – While Dell held the number 2 position with 24.7% worldwide market share in 1Q13, it was the number one vendor in the U.S., which is the largest region.
- NComputing – Despite being ranked number 3 worldwide, NComputing was the number 2 vendor in APeJ and the Middle East and Africa (MEA).
- Centerm – Centerm continued to hold the number 1 position in the APeJ market for 1Q13, with 28% share. It has been the leader in this region since the first quarter of 2012, previously competing with NComputing and HP for leadership in the region.
- Igel – Igel saw the biggest annual growth among the Top 5 vendors with a 10% year-over-year increase at the worldwide level.
Worldwide Enterprise Client Device Unit Shipments, Market Share, and YoY Growth, First Quarter 2013
Source: IDC’s Worldwide Quarterly Enterprise Client Device Tracker, 1Q 2013.
In addition to the table above, a graphic illustrating actual and forecast quarterly thin client shipments by form factor for 2013 is available here. Instructions on how to embed this graphic into online news articles and social media can be found by viewing this press release on IDC.com.
About IDC Trackers
IDC Tracker products provide accurate and timely market size, vendor share, and forecasts for hundreds of technology markets from more than 100 countries around the globe. Using proprietary tools and research processes, IDC's Trackers are updated on a semiannual, quarterly, and monthly basis. Tracker results are delivered to clients in user-friendly excel deliverables and on-line query tools. The IDC Tracker Charts app allows users to view data charts from the most recent IDC Tracker products on their iPhone and iPad.
International Data Corporation (IDC) is the premier global provider of market intelligence, advisory services, and events for the information technology, telecommunications, and consumer technology markets. IDC helps IT professionals, business executives, and the investment community to make fact-based decisions on technology purchases and business strategy. More than 1,000 IDC analysts provide global, regional, and local expertise on technology and industry opportunities and trends in over 110 countries. For more than 49 years, IDC has provided strategic insights to help our clients achieve their key business objectives. IDC is a subsidiary of IDG, the world's leading technology media, research, and events company. You can learn more about IDC by visiting www.idc.com.