LONDON--(BUSINESS WIRE)--Market research firm Infonetics Research released excerpts from its latest Carrier WiFi Equipment market share, market size, and forecast report, which tracks WiFi equipment deployed by operators in public spaces for wireless internet access.
“The carrier WiFi space is red hot right now, driven by the explosion in demand from mobile operators using WiFi to augment their 3G/4G deployments and offload a portion of mobile data traffic to unlicensed spectrum,” notes Richard Webb, directing analyst for microwave and carrier WiFi at Infonetics Research.
“Mobile operators by and large have held WiFi at arm's length, fearing that it could cannibalize their opportunity to derive data revenues,” Webb continues. “Now operators are embracing WiFi to offload excess data and enhance the broadband experience for users. For the long-term success of carrier WiFi, though, integration with the mobile network is key."
CARRIER WIFI EQUIPMENT MARKET HIGHLIGHTS
- Carrier WiFi equipment revenue, including carrier WiFi access points and WiFi hotspot controllers, jumped 53% worldwide in 2012 from 2011
- Perennial market leader Cisco again led carrier WiFi revenue share in 2012, followed by Ruckus Wireless and Ericsson; all 3 vendors achieved notable year-over-year growth
- Dual mode cellular/WiFi access points began shipping in 2012 and are expected to undergo significant growth as more and more mobile operators build out carrier WiFi networks
- While all world regions are experiencing robust demand for carrier WiFi, Asia Pacific—especially China, Indonesia and India—will be the strongest drivers of growth through 2017
- Mobile operators are in the midst of a land-grab, rapidly claiming prime small cell locations by deploying carrier WiFi and then later replacing the WiFi access points with dual mode 3G/WiFi and LTE/WiFi small cells
- The global carrier WiFi equipment market is forecast by Infonetics to top $3.9 billion by 2017, primarily driven by mobile operators deploying carrier WiFi for data offload
CARRIER WIFI WEBINAR
View on demand: Leveraging Hotspot 2.0 for Carrier WiFi Networks:
Infonetics’ carrier WiFi report provides worldwide and regional market size, market share, forecasts through 2017, analysis, and trends for WiFi hotspot controllers and WiFi-only and dual-mode cellular/WiFi access points. The report includes carrier WiFi vendor announcements and customer wins and a Mobile Operator WiFi Offload Strategies Tracker. Vendors tracked include 4ipnet, Airspan, Alcatel-Lucent, Alvarion (Wavion), Aptilo, Cisco, Aruba Networks, Edgewater Wireless, EION Wireless, Ericsson (BelAir Networks), GoNet Systems, Huawei, Motorola, Nokia Siemens Networks, Ruckus Wireless, ZTE, and others. To buy the report, contact Infonetics: http://www.infonetics.com/contact.asp.
Visit https://www.infonetics.com/infonetics-events to learn more or register for Infonetics events.
- Leveraging Hotspot 2.0 for Carrier Wi-Fi Networks (View on demand)
- Fiber in the Air: An Alternative for Next-Gen Backhaul (View on demand)
- SDNs and NFV: Why Operators Are Investing Now (June 26: Learn more / register)
- Small Cells Reality Check (Available for sponsorship)
- Latest Infonetics Small Cells and Carrier WiFi research brief: http://bit.ly/18sU0Xj
- Mobile operators reveal plans to monetize WiFi
- Small cell market forecast to hit $2.7 billion by 2017
- Small cell operators face myriad operational and financial challenges
RECENT / UPCOMING MARKET FORECASTS AND SURVEYS
- Femtocell Equipment - 1Q13 Edition
- 3G and 4G Mobile Broadband Devices and Subscribers - 1Q13 Edition
- Small Cell Mobile Backhaul Equipment
- Microwave Strategies and Vendor Leadership: Global Service Provider Survey
TO BUY REPORTS, CONTACT:
N. America (West), Asia, Latin America: Larry Howard, firstname.lastname@example.org, +1 408-583-3335
N. America (East), Texas, Midwest: Scott Coyne, email@example.com, +1 408-583-3395
Europe, Middle East, Africa: George Stojsavljevic, firstname.lastname@example.org, +44 755-488-1623
Japan, South Korea, China, Taiwan: http://www.infonetics.com/contact.asp
Infonetics Research (www.infonetics.com) is an international market research and consulting firm serving the communications industry since 1990. A leader in defining and tracking emerging and established technologies in all world regions, Infonetics helps clients plan, strategize, and compete effectively. View Infonetics’ About Us slides at http://bit.ly/QUrbrV.