CHILLIWACK, British Columbia--(BUSINESS WIRE)--Petcurean, the award-winning manufacturer of premium pet food brands GO! SOLUTIONS® and NOW FRESH®, is thrilled to share a number of notable sustainability achievements and announcements to mark Zero Emissions Day, a day set aside to encourage people to be mindful of their environmental impact and reduce the emissions they produce. These achievements demonstrate Petcurean’s commitment to being a sustainability leader in the premium pet food industry and contributions towards the growing industry movement for increased accountability and transparency. Today’s announcement also includes highlighting ongoing company partnerships with like-minded organizations including the Pet Sustainability Coalition, and sustainability improvements, both big and small, across all areas of the business.
As part of the premium pet food manufacturer’s sustainability milestones, and as highlighted in their recently released Second Annual Sustainability Impact Report, Petcurean has achieved carbon neutrality for Scopes 1 and 2 by offsetting 100% of its greenhouse gas (GHG) emissions for the past three years. This was done through a carbon offset partnership with Native Energy, a certified B Corporation dedicated to developing sustainability solutions. The total amount offset is equal to 288 tonnes CO2e, and includes emissions from Petcurean’s electricity, natural gas, and fleet vehicle usage, and is equivalent to the GHG emissions of more than 123,000 litres of gas, 192 homes’ electricity for a year and 12,000-barbeque propane cylinders. Moving forward, Petcurean's priority is to reduce the Company's Scope 1 and 2 emissions and then to offset any remaining emissions.
Petcurean’s carbon neutral status is just one part of a four-year plan to improve all aspects of the Company’s sustainability practices. Another key element of the Company’s sustainability commitment is its membership with the Pet Sustainability Coalition (PSC) since 2017. As a PSC Accredited Company, Petcurean’s sustainability performance has been measured, verified, and improved annually. In fact, Petcurean was the first Canadian company to sign-on to the PSC’s Packaging Pledge, which publicly commits Petcurean to switching the majority of their pet food packaging to be 100% recyclable by 2025.
“In 2021 we put our four-year sustainability plan in action, including releasing our first-ever Sustainability Impact Report to highlight the measurable actions we’re taking to reduce our ‘pawprint’ on the environment,” says Christine Mallier, Sustainability and Community Relations Manager, Petcurean. “A year later, we’re excited to share the progress we’ve made through our Second Annual Sustainability Impact Report, which showcases our vision to contribute to a more sustainable future, and how we’re committed to making a positive impact on the planet for our beloved pets and community of pet parents.”
Currently, Petcurean is at the midpoint of the Company’s four-year sustainability plan, which focuses on making positive changes in four main impact areas:
- Protecting the planet by optimizing business practices to reduce the Company’s environmental footprint, protect the natural world, and contribute to a more sustainable future. In the last year, Petcurean began manufacturing in Europe for the Company’s Europe, Middle East and Africa (EMEA) markets to reduce transport GHG emissions. Petcurean has also signed the Pet Sustainability Coalition’s pledge to have the majority of their packaging be 100% recyclable by 2025.
- Empowering the Petcurean team by supporting team members’ physical, social, professional, and financial well-being. Petcurean was one of the first premium pet food companies to appoint a dedicated Sustainability Manager to oversee and support sustainability-related initiatives. Additionally, Petcurean now offers a flexible, home/office hybrid work environment for the health, safety and well-being of its team members, and to reduce GHG emissions produced by employees commuting.
- Uplifting the community by giving back purposefully to the communities Petcurean serves through year-round support and leadership. In the last year, Petcurean has partnered with non-profits, rescue organizations and pet-centered companies to raise funds and donate food to pets in need. This includes non-profit organizations that support the welfare of animals such as the Regional Animal Protection Society, and an ongoing partnership with CUDDLY. In the past year to date, Petcurean has donated 918,878 pet food meals to cats and dogs in need.
- Commitment to governance by becoming more accountable, transparent, and ethical. Petcurean was the first Canadian pet food company to release a public-facing Sustainability Impact Report in 2021. In 2022, the Company also launched a Supplier Code of Conduct to hold major suppliers accountable for specific environmental and social performance.
“For over two decades, our focus has been on doing the right thing as a Company, and to create premium food that is both nutritious and delicious. Two years ago we were thrilled to kick things into high gear to define and achieve new sustainability goals, while keeping pets first as our motto,” says Christine Mallier, Sustainability & Community Relations Manager, Petcurean. “We recognize the responsibility we have to implement sustainable practices to produce responsibly, reduce consumption, and empower our team while doing so. Being intentional and transparent in these practices is important to us, and we look forward to sharing more of our sustainability goals and results in the months ahead.”
Learn more about Petcurean’s commitment to sustainability and download Petcurean’s second annual Sustainability Impact Report here:
- GO! SOLUTIONS: https://go-solutions.com/en-us/were-taking-sustainability-seriously
- NOW FRESH: https://nowfresh.com/en-us/our-commitment-to-sustainability
Petcurean is a proudly Canadian company that creates premium-quality pet food recipes for dogs and cats (and cats and dogs) through its family of flagship brands including: GO! SOLUTIONS®, NOW FRESH®, and GATHER®. Petcurean pet foods are sold exclusively through select pet specialty retailers in Canada, the United States, and more than 35 countries internationally. The Petcurean family of brands is committed to sustainability as it pertains to pets, people and the planet. With every decision they make and every recipe they create, they put pets first. For more information, visit www.petcurean.com.