NEW YORK--(BUSINESS WIRE)--Energy Impact Partners (EIP), one of the world’s leading investors focused on the clean energy transition, announced today it has issued its 2021 ESG and Impact Performance Report. EIP’s impact expanded in 2020 with increased carbon savings across its portfolio – notably, lifetime carbon savings increased by 42 percent - and a new fund devoted entirely to founders and leaders from underrepresented groups in its industry.
EIP’s ESG and Impact Performance Report measures the environmental impact and DE&I efforts of the firm’s investment activities in 2020, as well as its portfolio companies’ ESG performance. Highlights from this year’s report include the following:
Measurable impact generated by EIP:
- Coalition of strategic investors achieved CO2e emission reductions of 40 percent
- Launched the Elevate Future Fund, which aims to create a more diverse founder community and inclusive venture capital ecosystem within the broader energy transition
- Provided additional DE&I training and a summer internship program focused exclusively on expanding DE&I in the clean energy sector
- Portfolio supported over 3,500 jobs and created over 1,000 new clean energy jobs
Measurable impacts generated by EIP’s portfolio companies:
- 2.8 million metric tons of CO2e avoided – equivalent to planting 46 million trees or taking 590,000 cars off the road – an increase of 56% over 2019
- Saved 150 million gallons of fuel– the equivalent of 3.7 billion vehicle miles driven per year – an increase of 59% over 2019
- Reduced the consumption of electricity by 3.2 million MWh – equivalent to the annual electricity consumption of 290,000 homes per year – up 90% from 2019
- Mitigated the use of 1.9 billion gallons of water – the equivalent of 22,000 households per year – up 46% from 2019
As its platform has grown, EIP has expanded and improved its ESG and impact measurements to increase transparency and accountability in the industry. This year, EIP measured its impact in four distinct pathways including direct impacts, foundational impacts, partner impacts and industry thought leadership. The firm also improved its ESG data collection and evaluation questionnaires and systems, particularly for evaluating potential investments DE&I impact, policies and goals.
“We are a data driven organization. We were custom-built on the premise of having an impact on both our partners future and the environment. Measuring that impact has always been an integral part of fulfilling this mission. As our platform has grown, we have expanded and improved our ESG and impact measurement across all our funds, starting with formal impact reporting more than three years ago,” said Hans Kobler, Founder & Managing Partner at EIP.
“Tackling climate change and the path towards net zero carbon is a massive challenge. Collaboration between key stakeholders is the key to getting us there on time,” said Peter Fox-Penner, Chief Impact Officer and Partner at EIP.
EIP is deeply engaged with an industry that is at the core of the energy transition. The firm brings together a diverse group of forward-looking utilities, companies and entrepreneurs that are committed to reduce greenhouse gas emissions. EIP’s partner networks owns and manages massive energy and industrial systems across four continents; serves more than 200 million residential electric customers, and collectively spends more than $65 billion in capital expenditures each year.
For more information about EIP’s ESG and Impact Performance Report, click here.
Energy Impact Partners, LP (EIP) is a global investment platform leading the transition to a sustainable energy future. EIP brings together entrepreneurs and the world's most forward-looking energy and industrial companies to advance innovation. With over $2 billion in assets under management, EIP invests globally across venture, growth, credit, and infrastructure – and has a team of more than 50 professionals based in its offices in New York, San Francisco, Palm Beach, London, Cologne and Oslo. For more information on EIP, please visit www.energyimpactpartners.com