-

75,000 Ontario Hospital Staff Hold Day of Action to Protest Provincial Pandemic Pay Fiasco

TORONTO--(BUSINESS WIRE)--Ontario hospital workers who the Premier calls heroes are mystified as to why nearly two months after pandemic pay was announced, not a dime has reached their paycheques and why thousands of hospital workers are still excluded from receiving pandemic pay.

Tomorrow (Wednesday, June 17) staff working at hospitals around the province will take part in a collective action under the banner of “It takes a team to care” and urge the Premier and the health minister to include all hospital workers in the pandemic pay. They will also be asking the province to pay up.

The hospital staff participating in the action are members of the Canadian Union of Public Employees (CUPE), Unifor and SEIU Healthcare. Together the three unions represent 75,000 hospital workers at Ontario’s public hospitals.

Following hospital workers’ protests more than a month ago, more hospital staff have been included in who gets the premium. However, the province has again “wrongly” decided that nearly 20,000 highly skilled front-line hospital staff are not eligible for the premium.

Those still excluded include direct patient contact staff and others who clearly are key members of the care team. They include pharmacy and lab technicians, diagnostic imaging staff, occupational therapy assistants and physiotherapy assistants, as well as multiple administrative staff who keep the patient medical records system going.

The fumbling by the province of what could have been a significant signal of appreciation of the work of hospital workers fighting the COVID-19 pandemic has deflated morale in the workforce and devalued the contribution of some of the care team in fighting a pandemic. “It is up to the Premier to fix the fiasco,” say the unions.

Collective action is not new to the three unions. In the spring of 2018 SEIU Healthcare, Unifor and CUPE joined forces to bargain a new provincial contract for their registered practical nurses, personal support workers,

WHAT: 75,000 hospital staff, pandemic pay ‘It takes a team to care’ workplace action

WHEN: Wednesday, June 17, 2020 (all day)

WHERE: All Ontario hospitals where Unifor, CUPE, SEIU Healthcare hospital sector members work

Contacts

Stella Yeadon
CUPE Communications
416-559-9300
syeadon@cupe.ca

Hamid Osman
Unifor Communications
647-448-2823
Hamid.Osman@unifor.org

Corey Johnson
SEIU Healthcare Communications
416-529-8909
c.johnson@seiuhealthcare.ca

Canadian Union of Public Employees


Release Versions

Contacts

Stella Yeadon
CUPE Communications
416-559-9300
syeadon@cupe.ca

Hamid Osman
Unifor Communications
647-448-2823
Hamid.Osman@unifor.org

Corey Johnson
SEIU Healthcare Communications
416-529-8909
c.johnson@seiuhealthcare.ca

More News From Canadian Union of Public Employees

CUPE Alberta calls for an election, says Smith’s referendum is a dangerous distraction from government’s mismanagement of public services

EDMONTON, AB--(BUSINESS WIRE)--CUPE Alberta is condemning Premier Danielle Smith’s announcement of an anti-immigrant referendum that seeks permission for her government to make it harder for Albertans to vote. “She should get back to work and focus on the issues that actually matter to Albertans,” said CUPE Alberta President Raj Uppal. “Albertans are facing actual crises in health care, in our classrooms, with the cost of living, and with jobs. Instead of taking accountability and fixing any of...

Dalhousie’s Part-Time Architecture Faculty Join CUPE 3912

HALIFAX, NS--(BUSINESS WIRE)--Canadian Union of Public Employees (CUPE) Local 3912 is pleased to announce that part-time faculty in the Architecture Department at Dalhousie University (Dal) are officially members of our Local as of January 14, 2026, retroactive to November 2025. Architecture was one of only four departments at Dalhousie previously exempted from the part-time faculty collective agreement. With this change, only part-time faculty in Computer Science, Engineering, and Law remain o...

CUPE Nova Scotia: “Long Term Care Is Dying, and Houston Is Letting It Happen”

HALIFAX, Nova Scotia--(BUSINESS WIRE)--Today, President of CUPE Nova Scotia Alan Linkletter sent a letter to Premier Houston calling on this conservative government to stop ignoring the hardworking long term care workers of this province and offer them a fair deal instead of lining the pockets of private companies. “Since Houston entered office, we have been overrun with examples of his government offering up millions of dollars in contracts to private companies instead of using that same money...
Back to Newsroom