HARTFORD, Conn.--(BUSINESS WIRE)--The Travelers Companies, Inc. (NYSE: TRV) today released its annual Community Report, announcing that the company provided more than $24 million in charitable donations in 2019. Travelers distributed these funds to programs and organizations dedicated to improving academic and career success, developing thriving neighborhoods and creating culturally enriched communities. These contributions bring the company’s giving total to more than $223 million over the past decade.
“We have a strong culture of giving and an unwavering commitment to take care of our communities,” said Marlene Ibsen, President and CEO of the Travelers Foundation and Vice President of Community Relations at Travelers. “From supporting education to creating vibrant neighborhoods through volunteerism and the arts, we provide opportunities to ensure that the places we call home continue to flourish.”
The following are highlights of the company’s 2019 community support:
- Employees logged more than 130,000 hours of volunteer time.
- The company distributed more than $7 million in support of educational initiatives.
- A total of 95 students received a direct scholarship or stipend through the company’s signature education program, Travelers EDGE (Empowering Dreams for Graduation and Employment), to help them work toward earning a bachelor’s degree.
- More than 480 representatives from women-, minority- and veteran-owned small businesses participated in free workshops about business continuity and risk management through the company’s Small Business Risk Education program.
- The company supported the building of 36 FORTIFIED Homes™ in 10 states through the company’s partnerships with Habitat for Humanity and SBP, a disaster resilience and recovery organization.
- More than $3.3 million supported organizations that create culturally enriched communities through the arts.
Travelers is continuing its philanthropic activities in 2020, including a recent pledge of $5 million to COVID-19 relief efforts to assist families and communities across North America, the United Kingdom and the Republic of Ireland.
The company’s other COVID-19-related community efforts include repurposing its kitchen facilities at its main campus in Hartford, Connecticut, to aid nonprofits in the preparation and delivery of meals; offering virtual volunteer opportunities to its employees; and creating an employee-led effort to gather donations to cover the costs of meals for health care workers in Connecticut, Maryland, Minnesota and New York. This last initiative also helps small businesses, as the meals are purchased from local restaurants.
For more information about community involvement at Travelers, visit Travelers.com/community. To learn more about the ways Travelers is helping its customers, communities and employees during this time, please visit its COVID-19 webpage.
The Travelers Companies, Inc. (NYSE: TRV) is a leading provider of property casualty insurance for auto, home and business. A component of the Dow Jones Industrial Average, Travelers has approximately 30,000 employees and generated revenues of approximately $32 billion in 2019. For more information, visit www.travelers.com.