DUBLIN--(BUSINESS WIRE)--The "Age-Related Macular Degeneration: Global Drug Forecast and Market Analysis to 2028" report has been added to ResearchAndMarkets.com's offering.
Age-related macular degeneration (AMD) is an eye condition that is characterized by the gradual deterioration of the macula, which is the oval-shaped area of the retina that is responsible for central vision. AMD is the most common cause of significant irreversible vision loss among the elderly. Classified by disease severity, AMD can be divided into three distinct stages. These are the early, intermediate, and late types of AMD. Out of the late forms, there are two further subtypes: dry (dAMD) and wet (wAMD). Dry AMD is evidenced by atrophy of the cells lining the retina, the accumulation of debris and the death of photoreceptors near the center of the fundus.
There is no way to reverse the sight loss caused by AMD although the progression of the disease can be slowed through treatment with intravitreal anti-angiogenic drugs. Commonly used therapy options in the 9MM are Bayer/Regeneron's Eylea (aflibercept), Roche/Genentech's Lucentis (ranibizumab) and Roche's anti-neoplastic agent Avastin (bevacizumab), which is used as an off-label therapy for retinal diseases. These drugs inhibit vascular endothelial growth factor (VEGF) which is a protein that promotes the growth of new blood vessels, which leak contents onto the macula in the pathophysiology of wet AMD. There are no approved therapies for neither GA nor dAMD.
The report estimates that drug sales for AMD in 2018 were approximately $8.6B across the nine major markets (US, France, Germany, Italy, Spain, UK, Japan, China, and Australia). Over the 10-year forecast period, the market is expected to grow to $18.4B at a CAGR of 7.9%. This growth will be driven by the launch of 11 late-stage pipeline products. The two highest selling drugs are expected to be MacuCLEAR's therapy for dry AMD, MC-1101, and Roche/Chugai's faricimab, a monoclonal antibody for wet AMD.
Key Questions Answered:
- What were the main drugs used to manage wet AMD in 2018?
- When will the late stage pipeline products launch in each of the 9MM?
- What effect will each of the late-stage pipeline agents have on drug sales in the 9MM?
- Which unmet needs will remain unaddressed in the forecast period?
- What opportunities remain for drug developers?
Scope of the report:
- Overview of AMD, including the epidemiology, etiology, pathophysiology, symptoms, diagnosis, and the management of wet AMD.
- Annualized AMD therapeutics market revenue, cost of therapy per patient, and treatment usage patterns in patient segments including dry AMD, GA, and wet AMD in a dynamic market forecast from 2018 to 2028.
- Topics covered include a competitive assessment of key players in the market, characterization of marketed and pipeline drugs, an examination of unmet needs, and clinical trials in the 9MM.
- A comprehensive analysis of pipeline products including their mechanism of action, route of administration, the patient population(s) for which the product is being developed, and performance of each drug candidate in clinical trials. Candidates in Phase III have been profiled and innovative therapeutic approaches in the early-stage pipeline are also discussed within the report.
- Analysis of the current and future market competition in the global AMD market, with a particular focus on the new drugs being developed for dry AMD and geographic atrophy.
- The report provides an insightful review of industry drivers, barriers and challenges across the 9MM. Each industry trend in relation to AMD is independently researched to provide an extensive qualitative review of its implications.
Key Topics Covered:
- Age-Related Macular Degeneration: Executive Summary
- Disease Overview
- Disease Management
- Competitive Assessment
- Unmet Needs and Opportunity Assessment
- Pipeline Assessment
- Current and Future Players
- Market Outlook
- Stealth BioTherapeutics
- Cell Cure Neurosciences
- Adverum Biotechnologies
- IVERIC bio
- Chengdu Kanghong Pharma
- Gene Techno Science
- Alkeus Pharma
- Apellis Pharma
- Outlook Therapeutics
- QLT PhotoTherapeutics
- Molecular Partners
For more information about this report visit https://www.researchandmarkets.com/r/tbsfk7.
ResearchAndMarkets.com is the world's leading source for international market research reports and market data. We provide you with the latest data on international and regional markets, key industries, the top companies, new products and the latest trends.