SYLMAR, Calif.--(BUSINESS WIRE)--PPG (NYSE:PPG) today announced that the PPG Foundation recently invested $31,000 in five California organizations to support youth education. The grants were made in the fourth quarter of 2018 on behalf of PPG’s aerospace business, which operates an administrative office and manufacturing facility in Sylmar, California.
The grant recipients and funding purposes were:
- Olive Vista Middle School: $10,000 for a Model United Nations program, which will provide middle school students with leadership training, debate and public speaking skills.
- Girls Inc. of Orange County: $10,000 to support Eureka!, which aims to increase underserved girls’ interest in science, technology, engineering and math (STEM) subjects so they pursue higher education and consider STEM careers as a means to self-sufficiency.
- California State University Northridge Foundation: $5,000 to support Rally in the Valley, which is an annual robotics competition and science, technology, engineering, arts and math (STEAM) exposition.
- Society of Hispanic Professional Engineers: $5,000 to support the Noche De Ciencias (Night of Science) event, which increases awareness of STEM fields among Hispanic, African-American and Asian students and their parents.
- Burbank Coordinating Council: $1,000 to provide children from low-income families the opportunity to attend summer camp programs designed to foster leadership skills, self-confidence, socialization and more.
“PPG is committed to helping young people make informed decisions about their future and fostering the necessary skills for students going into the manufacturing industry,” said Tim Behmlander, PPG general manager, aerospace, Americas.
PPG and the PPG Foundation aim to bring color and brightness to PPG communities around the world. We invested more than $9 million in 2018, supporting hundreds of community organizations across 28 countries. By investing in educational opportunities, we help grow today’s skilled workforce and develop tomorrow’s innovators in fields related to coatings and manufacturing. Plus, we empower PPG employees to multiply their impact for causes that are important to them by supporting their volunteer efforts and charitable giving. Learn more at www.ppgcommunities.com.
PPG: WE PROTECT AND BEAUTIFY THE WORLD™
At PPG (NYSE:PPG), we work every day to develop and deliver the paints, coatings and materials that our customers have trusted for more than 130 years. Through dedication and creativity, we solve our customers’ biggest challenges, collaborating closely to find the right path forward. With headquarters in Pittsburgh, we operate and innovate in more than 70 countries and reported net sales of $15.4 billion in 2018. We serve customers in construction, consumer products, industrial and transportation markets and aftermarkets. To learn more, visit www.ppg.com.
We protect and beautify the world and Colorful Communities are trademarks and the PPG Logo is a registered trademark of PPG Industries Ohio, Inc.