NEWTON, Mass.--(BUSINESS WIRE)--Select Income REIT (Nasdaq:SIR) today announced that proxy advisory firm Institutional Shareholder Services Inc. (“ISS”) recommends that SIR shareholders vote “FOR” the merger with Government Properties Income Trust (Nasdaq:GOV) at the Special Meeting of SIR shareholders to be held on December 20, 2018. In a separate report, ISS also recommended that GOV shareholders vote “FOR” the issuance of GOV common shares in the merger.
In recommending that SIR shareholders vote “FOR” the merger, ISS stated in its December 7, 2018 report1:
- “…the transaction has sound strategic rationale as it would allow SIR to create shareholder value by simplifying its corporate structure and unlocking ILPT's growth potential.”
- “…the combination of SIR and GOV will create a more sustainable company with manageable laddered lease expirations through asset and tenant diversification, additional capital available via asset sales to recycle and refresh its portfolio (and to reduce leverage), and a sustainable dividend payout policy going forward.”
1Permission to use quotations from the ISS report was neither sought nor obtained.
YOUR VOTE IS IMPORTANT – PLEASE VOTE TODAY
The SIR board of trustees recommends that SIR shareholders vote “FOR” the proposal to approve the GOV/SIR merger, which approval is necessary to consummate the Merger, and “FOR” the proposal to approve the adjournment of the SIR special meeting to solicit additional votes in favor of the merger if there are insufficient votes at the time of the special meeting.
If you have questions about voting, please contact Morrow Sodali, our proxy solicitor at (800) 662-5200, or at email@example.com.
Select Income REIT is a real estate investment trust, or REIT, which owns properties that are primarily net leased to single tenants. SIR is managed by the operating subsidiary of The RMR Group Inc. (Nasdaq:RMR), an alternative asset management company that is headquartered in Newton, MA.
WARNING CONCERNING FORWARD LOOKING STATEMENTS
THIS DOCUMENT CONTAINS STATEMENTS THAT CONSTITUTE FORWARD LOOKING STATEMENTS WITHIN THE MEANING OF THE PRIVATE SECURITIES LITIGATION REFORM ACT OF 1995 AND OTHER SECURITIES LAWS. ALSO, WHENEVER SIR USES WORDS SUCH AS “BELIEVE”, “EXPECT”, “ANTICIPATE”, “INTEND”, “PLAN”, “ESTIMATE”, “WILL”, “MAY” AND NEGATIVES OR DERIVATIVES OF THESE OR SIMILAR EXPRESSIONS, SIR IS MAKING FORWARD LOOKING STATEMENTS. THESE FORWARD LOOKING STATEMENTS ARE BASED UPON SIR’S PRESENT INTENT, BELIEFS OR EXPECTATIONS, BUT FORWARD LOOKING STATEMENTS ARE NOT GUARANTEED TO OCCUR AND MAY NOT OCCUR. ACTUAL RESULTS MAY DIFFER MATERIALLY FROM THOSE CONTAINED IN OR IMPLIED BY SIR’S FORWARD LOOKING STATEMENTS AS A RESULT OF VARIOUS FACTORS. FOR EXAMPLE:
- THE CLOSING OF THE MERGER IS SUBJECT TO THE SATISFACTION OR WAIVER OF CONDITIONS, INCLUDING THE RECEIPT OF REQUISITE APPROVALS BY GOV’S AND SIR’S SHAREHOLDERS. GOV AND SIR CANNOT BE SURE THAT ANY OR ALL OF SUCH CONDITIONS WILL BE SATISFIED OR WAIVED. ACCORDINGLY, THE MERGER MAY NOT CLOSE WHEN EXPECTED OR AT ALL, OR THE TERMS OF THE MERGER AND THE OTHER TRANSACTIONS MAY CHANGE.
- PURSUANT TO THE MERGER AGREEMENT, SIR HAS AGREED TO DISTRIBUTE ALL 45,000,000 COMMON SHARES OF ILPT THAT SIR OWNS TO SIR’S SHAREHOLDERS, SUBJECT TO THE SATISFACTION OR WAIVER OF CERTAIN CONDITIONS, INCLUDING, AMONG OTHER THINGS, OBTAINING THE REQUISITE SHAREHOLDER APPROVALS WITH RESPECT TO THE MERGER. SIR CANNOT BE SURE WHEN OR IF THOSE CONDITIONS WILL BE SATISFIED OR WAIVED OR THAT SUCH DISTRIBUTION WILL OCCUR.
- GOV AND SIR HAVE IDENTIFIED VARIOUS REASONS WHY THEY BELIEVE THE MERGER MAKES SENSE FOR THEIR SHAREHOLDERS. HOWEVER, THE EXPECTED BENEFITS UNDERLYING THOSE REASONS MAY NOT BE REALIZED OR SUSTAINED BY THE COMBINED COMPANY AND ITS SHAREHOLDERS.
THE INFORMATION CONTAINED IN GOV’S AND SIR’S FILINGS WITH THE SECURITIES AND EXCHANGE COMMISSION, OR SEC, INCLUDING UNDER “RISK FACTORS” IN GOV’S REGISTRATION STATEMENT ON FORM S-4, OR THE FORM S-4, AND THE JOINT PROXY STATEMENT/PROSPECTUS OF GOV AND SIR CONTAINED THEREIN, AND IN GOV’S AND SIR’S PERIODIC REPORTS, OR INCORPORATED THEREIN, IDENTIFIES OTHER IMPORTANT FACTORS THAT COULD CAUSE GOV’S AND SIR’S ACTUAL RESULTS TO DIFFER MATERIALLY FROM THOSE STATED IN OR IMPLIED BY GOV’S AND SIR’S FORWARD LOOKING STATEMENTS. GOV’S AND SIR’S FILINGS WITH THE SEC ARE AVAILABLE ON THE SEC’S WEBSITE AT WWW.SEC.GOV.
YOU SHOULD NOT PLACE UNDUE RELIANCE UPON FORWARD LOOKING STATEMENTS.
EXCEPT AS REQUIRED BY LAW, SIR DOES NOT INTEND TO UPDATE OR CHANGE ANY FORWARD LOOKING STATEMENTS AS A RESULT OF NEW INFORMATION, FUTURE EVENTS OR OTHERWISE.
ADDITIONAL INFORMATION ABOUT THE MERGER AND THE OTHER TRANSACTIONS AND WHERE TO FIND IT
In connection with the merger and the other transactions contemplated by the merger agreement, GOV has filed the Form S-4, containing a joint proxy statement/prospectus and other documents with respect to the merger and the other transactions contemplated by the merger agreement, with the SEC.
INVESTORS ARE URGED TO READ THE JOINT PROXY STATEMENT/PROSPECTUS (INCLUDING ALL AMENDMENTS AND SUPPLEMENTS THERETO) AND ANY OTHER DOCUMENTS FILED OR TO BE FILED WITH THE SEC IN CONNECTION WITH THE MERGER OR INCORPORATED BY REFERENCE IN THE JOINT PROXY STATEMENT/PROSPECTUS BECAUSE THEY CONTAIN AND WILL CONTAIN IMPORTANT INFORMATION ABOUT THE MERGER AND THE OTHER TRANSACTIONS.
A definitive joint proxy statement/prospectus has been mailed to GOV’s and SIR’s shareholders. Investors may obtain free copies of documents filed with the SEC at the SEC’s website at www.sec.gov. In addition, investors may obtain free copies of GOV’s filings with the SEC from GOV’s website at www.govreit.com and free copies of SIR’s filings with the SEC from SIR’s website at www.sirreit.com.
PARTICIPANTS IN THE SOLICITATION RELATING TO THE MERGER AND OTHER TRANSACTIONS
GOV, its trustees and certain of its executive officers, SIR, its trustees and certain of its executive officers, and The RMR Group LLC, The RMR Group Inc. and certain of their directors, officers and employees may be deemed participants in the solicitation of proxies from GOV’s shareholders in respect of the approval of the issuance of GOV common shares of beneficial interest in the merger and from SIR’s shareholders in respect of the approval of the merger and the other transactions contemplated by the merger agreement to which SIR is a party. Information regarding the persons who may, under the rules of the SEC, be considered participants in the solicitation of GOV’s and SIR’s shareholders in connection with the merger and the other transactions contemplated by the merger agreement is set forth in the definitive joint proxy statement/prospectus for the merger filed with the SEC. You can find information about GOV’s trustees and executive officers in its definitive proxy statement for its 2018 Annual Meeting of Shareholders. You can find information about SIR’s trustees and executive officers in its definitive proxy statement for its 2018 Annual Meeting of Shareholders. These documents are available free of charge on the SEC’s website and from GOV or SIR, as applicable, using the sources indicated above.
A Maryland Real Estate Investment Trust with transferable shares of
beneficial interest listed on the Nasdaq.
No shareholder, Trustee or officer is personally liable for any act or obligation of the Trust.