DUBLIN--(BUSINESS WIRE)--The "Belgium - Telecoms, Mobile and Broadband - Statistics and Analyses" report has been added to ResearchAndMarkets.com's offering.
Belgium's telecom market is relatively small but has attracted investment from some of the region's major players, including Liberty Global and Orange Group.
There have been significant developments in the competitive landscape in recent years. In mid-2018 the regulator imposed amended conditions on market players aimed at encouraging investment in underserved areas and securing wholesale access to copper and fibre infrastructure.
The mobile market is served by the three network operators Proximus, Orange Belgium and BASE/Telenet and by a number of MVNOs. Mobile networks have been upgraded with LTE technology to support growing mobile data use among subscribers, while Proximus and Telenet have also initiated trials to develop services based on 5G. Commercial 5G services are expected soon after the auction of 3.5GHz spectrum in early 2019.
The mobile market continues to be transformed, particularly with MVNOs shifting between networks. The government is keen to set the framework which could enable a new player to enter the market in 2019. Existing operators are opposed to such a move, citing harsh competitive conditions and pressure on both revenue and investment in the sector. A characteristic of the market is customer preference for quad-play services, and to this end, MNOs are strengthening their fixed-line offerings. In this landscape the mobile-only provides will struggle to gain customers in the coming years.
- Government aiming to set up a fourth mobile operator in early 2019;
- Lycamobile Belgium switches host network from Orange Belgium to BASE;
- Proximus and Orange Belgium progress with 5G trials;
- Regulator issues Strategic Plan covering 2017-19, undergoes structural changes to meet strategic vision;
- Proximus engaged in 3 billion Fibre for Belgium' investment program to 2027;
- Regulator approves amended wholesale access conditions;
- Networks on track to reach national 30Mb/s connectivity by 2020;
- Report update includes the regulator's market data update for 2017, regulator's 2017 annual report, telcos' financial and operating data to Q2 2018, recent market developments.
- Lycamobile Belgium
- Orange Belgium (Mobistar)
- Proximus (Belgacom)
Key Topics Covered
1. Key Statistics
2. Telecommunications Market
3. Regulatory Environment
4. Fixed Network Operators
5. Telecommunications Infrastructure
6. Broadband Market
7. Mobile Communications
For more information about this report visit https://www.researchandmarkets.com/research/fs6753/the_2018?w=4