ARLINGTON, Va.--(BUSINESS WIRE)--Airlines Reporting Corp. (ARC) announced today that the consolidated dollar value of airline tickets sold by U.S.-based travel agencies increased nearly 4 percent in June as compared to June 2017, totaling $7.9 billion vs. $7.6 billion.* The average U.S. roundtrip ticket price for June 2018 was $502, or $2 cheaper than the same time in 2017.
The total number of passenger trips settled by ARC for U.S. travel agencies decreased less than 1 percent to 23,703,696 compared to 23,834,133 in June 2017. U.S. domestic trips decreased approximately 2 percent while international passenger trips increased nearly 2 percent.
Electronic Miscellaneous Document (EMD)** sales in June 2018 comprised nearly $6 million, a 5 percent decrease compared to June 2017. EMD transactions increased 12 percent to 99,106 in June 2018 vs. 88,519 in June 2017.
New this month, ARC has updated the method used to calculate passenger trips both for new and historical data. The change will have a small effect on several of the metrics ARC reports, such as number of passenger trips and agency segmentation. This is an example of how ARC continually strives to present more accurate industry information through data analytics best practices.
More detailed information is available on ARC’s website.
The Airlines Reporting Corporation (ARC) is the premier driver of air travel intelligence and commerce in the travel industry with leading business solutions, travel agency accreditation services, process and financial management tools and high-quality data. In 2017, ARC settled $88.5 billion worth of airline ticket transactions for more than 7,000 travel agencies with 12,000 points of sale. Established in 1984, ARC is an ISO 27001 certified company headquartered in Arlington, Virginia, with offices in Louisville, Kentucky, Tampa, Florida and San Juan, Puerto Rico. For more information, please visit www.arccorp.com and www.twitter.com/arctalk.
Notes for Editors:
- Results are based on monthly sales data ending June 30, 2018, from 12,257 U.S. retail and corporate travel agency locations, satellite ticket printing offices and online travel agencies. Results do not include sales of tickets purchased directly from airlines.
- Average ticket price (in USD) for a roundtrip ticket settled through ARC for an itinerary that included only U.S. domestic travel.
- Passenger trips include the total number of passengers taking a trip from one airport to another using either direct or connecting flights. Newly-issued trips are added and refunded trips are deducted to provide a net view of traveling passengers.
- U.S. Domestic passenger trips include the total number settled through ARC where the itinerary is wholly within the U.S. International passenger trips include the total number settled through ARC where some or all of the travel occurs to airports outside the U.S. or originates outside the U.S.
- Total sales are equal to the total amount paid for a ticket, which includes taxes and fees.
**Electronic Miscellaneous Documents (EMD)
- Includes fees for products and services such as upgraded seats, checked luggage, an unaccompanied minor, pet-in-cabin, etc.
©2018 Airlines Reporting Corporation (ARC). All rights reserved.