SANTA CLARA, Calif.--(BUSINESS WIRE)--NetBase, a global leader in enterprise social analytics, today released its 4th Annual NetBase Brand Passion Report: Top 100 Global Brand Love List. The report leveraged NetBase’s social analytics technology to examine more than 708 million global social media mentions, ranking the most loved brands in social media, technology, consumer goods, automotive, food and beverage and telecommunications.
“The health of a brand is much more than how often it is mentioned on social media. The report looks at brands with the most passion and connections, highlighting each brands’ true health. The brands in our Top 100 Global Brand Love List represent a variety of brands old and new that are successfully connecting with their customers through unique and innovative social engagement,” said Paige Leidig, chief marketing officer at NetBase. “It’s no surprise that social media brands topped the list this year, snagging four of the top ten spots on the list. These brands effectively connect consumers and encourage a passionate connection with them.”
The Top 10 Most Loved Global Brands
- Instagram (1)
- YouTube (2)
- Facebook (3)
- Amazon (4)
- Google (5)
- Apple (6)
- Disney (7)
- Snapchat (8)
- Spotify (9)
- Netflix (10)
Show Me the Love: Five Companies that Showed the Greatest Change
- Nikon (16), Moved up 46 spots
- Chevrolet (35), Moved up 36 spots
- Subaru (47), Moved up 31 spots
- Lexus (64), Moved up 31 spots
- Burger King (59), Moved up 28 spots
Rookies of the Year (The Top 10 Debuts):
- Instagram (1)
- YouTube (2)
- Spotify (9)
- Samsung (21)
- Twitter (22)
- United Airlines (36)
- Prada (45)
- L’Oreal (53)
- Yves Saint Laurent (58)
- Land Rover (70)
NetBase’s advanced technology can measure the strongest emotions shared about brands. Brands that know how their customers feel can cultivate strong relationships to set a foundation for future brand growth. This insight is invaluable as the more passion for the brand, the less the consumer relies on price as the deciding factor.
The NetBase Brand Passion Report 2018 is based on brand conversations across social networks, review sites, blogs, forums and news sites worldwide such as Fortune. The brands originate from 16 countries across 11 different industries. The food and beverage industry evokes the most love with 15 different brands in the top 100. The food and beverage, automotive and consumer goods industries top the list.
Additional Findings from the Report Include:
- Consumers love their social media. Despite making up only 5 percent of the brands on the list, they account for over 50 percent of the brand love measured in the report. The top three loved brands, Instagram (1), YouTube (2) and Facebook (3), are all social media brands. Snapchat (9) brings the total of social media brands in the top 10 to four. YouTubers loved Ed Sheeran and mentioned him on YouTube more than any other person.
The most popular brands by category are:
- Automotive – BMW (23) and Mercedes (24)
- Consumer Goods – Nikon (16) and Louis Vuitton (33)
- eCommerce – Amazon (4) and Etsy (11)
- Entertainment – Spotify (9) and Netflix (10)
- Food and Beverage – McDonald’s (18) and Starbucks (20)
- Retail – Target (17) and Ikea (46)
- Social Media – Instagram (1) and YouTube (2)
- Technology – Google (5) and Apple (6)
- Telecommunications – AT&T (43) and T-Mobile (54)
- Transportation – Uber (14) and United Airlines (36)
- McDonald’s narrowly beat Starbucks as the most loved food and beverage brand in 2018, accounting for 22 percent of all mentions for food and beverage brands. Fries and all-day breakfast are among the most discussed items.
- 70 percent of the most loved brands originated from three countries: United States, which accounts for 52 percent of the brands, Japan with 9 percent and the UK with 9 percent. The list became increasingly international this year with the additions of Mexico (Corona) and Holland (Heineken).
The NetBase Brand Passion Report 2018 is based on brand conversations across the social web inclusive of Twitter, Facebook, Instagram, Tumblr and millions of other sources during the one-year period from May 2017 through May 2018. Using NetBase’s patented technology, the report measures the strongest consumer emotions towards a brand. NetBase maps a category using four dimensions:
- Volume – measuring the number of earned and owned mentions and conversations.
- Passion Intensity – indicating how strong consumers feel about a brand or company based on a scale of 0-100.
- Net Sentiment – measuring the overall direction of how consumers feel about a brand’s marketing, customer service and products on a scale of -100 to +100.
- Brand Passion Index (BPI) – a brand’s net sentiment to passion ratio provides a look at how the brand is favored. For example, a brand with a low Net Sentiment but a high Passion Intensity is hated, whereas a brand with a high Net Sentiment but low Passion Intensity is liked, but not loved.
The NetBase Brand Passion Report 2018: Top 100 Global Brand Love List can be downloaded here.
NetBase is the award-winning social analytics platform that global companies use to run brands, build businesses and connect with consumers every second. Its platform processes millions of social media posts daily for actionable business insights for marketing, research, customer service, sales, PR and product innovation. NetBase is a trusted partner to American Airlines, Arby’s, Coca-Cola, Ogilvy, T-Mobile, Universal Music Group, Walmart and YUM! Brands. Learn more at www.netbase.com or @NetBase