CAGW President Tom Schatz said in a statement:
“The White House’s bold reorganization plan is a generational opportunity to downsize and streamline the federal government. These proposals represent the most aggressive such effort since the Grace Commission under President Reagan. Many ideas match recommendations that CAGW has championed for years in our annual Prime Cuts database. Others come from the annual Government Accountability Office reports on duplication, overlap, and fragmentation. President Trump should be commended for crafting such an ambitious plan to make the federal government run more like a business.”
- Merge the Departments of Labor and Education to streamline the needs of American workers from the classroom to a career setting.
- Move Nutrition Assistance Programs, like food stamps, from the Department of Agriculture (USDA) to the Department of Health and Human Services (HHS), renamed Health and Public Welfare.
- Consolidate food inspection services under a single department in USDA instead of the current fragmented system between USDA and the Food and Drug Administration.
- Sell assets inside the Department of Energy (DOE) owned by the Tennessee Valley Authority and Power Marketing Administrations, which would save taxpayers $9.5 billion over 10 years.
- Privatize the United States Postal Service, thereby lowering its cost structure and placing it on sound fiscal footing.
- Privatize Fannie Mae and Freddie Mac to lower the risk of a taxpayer bailout, create competition, and increase accountability to taxpayers.
- Downsize the amount of land leased by the federal government by disposing of old facilities and renovating those that are functional, thereby lowering total lease costs.
- Merge the myriad of financial literacy programs across more than 20 agencies to ensure accountability and lessen duplication.
- Shift all recordkeeping in federal agencies to an electronic environment and end the collection of paper records after 2022.
CAGW is the nation’s largest nonpartisan, nonprofit organization dedicated to eliminating waste, fraud, abuse, and mismanagement in government.