FRAMINGHAM, Mass.--(BUSINESS WIRE)--Worldwide shipments of hardcopy peripherals (HCP) increased 1.7% to nearly 23.8 million units in the first quarter of 2018 (1Q18), according to the International Data Corporation (IDC) Worldwide Quarterly Hardcopy Peripherals Tracker. This was the sixth consecutive quarter of year-over-year growth for the overall market. Both inkjet and laser unit shipments contributed to the positive momentum, expanding 2.1% and 1.0% year over year, respectively.
Notable highlights from the first quarter include:
- Five out of eight IDC regional markets recorded year-over-year growth in the first quarter with the Middle East & Africa leading the pack with a 19.6% increase and 1.6 million units shipped.
- Inkjet delivered year-over-year growth for the sixth consecutive quarter in 1Q18 with a 2.1% increase to 14 million units shipped. Strong growth in the business inkjet market (9.7% year over year) was the key contributor to overall inkjet market growth.
- Both A4 and A3 multifunctional printers (MFPs) in color and mono laser markets continued to grow, recording year-over-year gains of 1.9% and 4.0%, respectively.
- HP Inc. enjoyed 4.2% year-over-year growth in global shipments with a particularly strong performance in the U.S., China, and India. Due to the requirement to print bills, there is still a strong demand for low-end laser printers in India since the implementation of GST. In China, there continues to be strong demand for print devices with the ongoing expansion of the small and medium business segment and tier 3 channels.
- Canon overtook Epson for the top position in the Asia/Pacific (excluding Japan) region in 1Q18 with 9.1% year-over-year growth and its highest regional shipment total ever with 1.17 million units in the quarter. Its strong performance was largely due to the new G and TS series devices launched last quarter that are starting to gain traction.
|Worldwide Hardcopy Peripherals Market, Unit Shipments, Company Share, and Year-Over-Year Growth, Q1 2018 (based on unit shipments)|
|1. HP Inc||9,733,802||40.9%||9,345,545||40.0%||+4.2%|
|2. Canon Group||4,443,154||18.7%||4,206,139||18.0%||+5.6%|
|5. Kyocera Group||546,610||2.3%||524,978||2.2%||+4.1%|
|Source: IDC Worldwide Quarterly Hardcopy Peripherals Tracker, May 2018|
- IDC tracks A2-A4 devices in the Quarterly Hardcopy Peripherals Tracker.
- Hardcopy Peripherals include single-function printers, multifunctional systems (MFPs), and single-function digital copiers (SF DC). Data for all vendors are reported for calendar periods.
In addition to the table above, a graphic illustrating the worldwide market share of the top 5 hardcopy peripherals companies over the previous five quarters is by viewing this press release on IDC.com.
For more information about IDC's Worldwide Quarterly Hardcopy Peripherals Tracker, please contact Phuong Hang at email@example.com.
About IDC Trackers
IDC Tracker products provide accurate and timely market size, vendor share, and forecasts for hundreds of technology markets from more than 100 countries around the globe. Using proprietary tools and research processes, IDC's Trackers are updated on a semiannual, quarterly, and monthly basis. Tracker results are delivered to clients in user-friendly excel deliverables and on-line query tools.
International Data Corporation (IDC) is the premier global provider of market intelligence, advisory services, and events for the information technology, telecommunications, and consumer technology markets. With more than 1,100 analysts worldwide, IDC offers global, regional, and local expertise on technology and industry opportunities and trends in over 110 countries. IDC's analysis and insight helps IT professionals, business executives, and the investment community to make fact-based technology decisions and to achieve their key business objectives. Founded in 1964, IDC is a wholly-owned subsidiary of International Data Group (IDG), the world's leading media, data and marketing services company that activates and engages the most influential technology buyers. To learn more about IDC, please visit www.idc.com. Follow IDC on Twitter at @IDC and LinkedIn.
All product and company names may be trademarks or registered trademarks of their respective holders.