CHICAGO--(BUSINESS WIRE)--Today, LafargeHolcim announced the names of the eight students who will be receiving the 35th Annual Gygi and von Wyss Foundation Scholarship, an award open to children of Lafarge, Holcim and Aggregate Industries US.
“I am delighted to congratulate this year’s scholarship winners and I wish each of the applicants success in their future academic endeavors,” said Guy Edwards, CEO of the US ACM business. “This scholarship is an investment in the future of our workforce and one of the ways that we support our employees and their families.”
This year’s scholarship recipients include:
- Marc Bergeron, son of Claude Bergeron, technical service engineer, Mid America cement sales, Michigan
- Corinna Cline, daughter of Bryan Cline, business development manager, Aggregates, Illinois
- Bridget Huber, daughter of Mark Huber, maintenance manager, Joppa Cement Plant, Illinois
- Angelle Nazareno, daughter of Evan Nazareno, process engineer, Ada Cement Plant, Oklahoma
- Anthony Schrayer, son of Eric Schrayer, serviceperson, Whitehall Cement Plant, Pennsylvania
- Madalynn Smith, daughter of Timothy Smith, market manager, Greenport Sales Office, Pennsylvania
- Nicholas Timmreck, son of Todd Timmreck, mobile equipment operator, Alpena Cement Plant, Michigan
- Valentina Urrea, daughter of Joaquin Urrea, US cement finance director, Dundee Office, Michigan
This scholarship was originally established in 1983 to recognize the accomplishments of the children of Holcim employees. Since then, the scholarship program has been expanded to include children of eligible Aggregate Industries and Lafarge employees. The award honors the memories of Hans Gygi and Marc R. von Wyss, two former leaders of Holcim and its predecessor companies.
Each winner will receive a financial scholarship worth $6,000 for the 2018-2019 academic year and will be eligible to continue receiving the scholarship for an additional three years based on continuous academic performance. Since the Foundation began 34 years ago, more than 100 young adults have been awarded the Gygi and Von Wyss Foundation Scholarship.
With a well-balanced presence in 80 countries and a focus on cement, aggregates and concrete, LafargeHolcim (SIX Swiss Exchange, Euronext Paris: LHN) is the world leader in the building materials industry. With a commitment to drive sustainable solutions for better building and infrastructure and to contribute to a higher quality of life, the Group is best positioned to meet the challenges of increasing urbanization.
In the United States, LafargeHolcim companies include close to 350 sites in 43 states and employ 7,000 people. Our customers rely on us to help them design and build better communities with innovative solutions that deliver structural integrity and eco-efficiency.