SAN RAMON, Calif.--(BUSINESS WIRE)--24 Hour Fitness, a proud sponsor of the United States Olympic Committee (USOC) and Official Fitness Center Sponsor of the U.S. Olympic and Paralympic Teams, announced its partnership with “Team 24,” three athletes who will represent Team USA at the PyeongChang Olympic and Paralympic Winter Games 2018. With less than 150 days until the historic event, 24 Hour Fitness will offer content and programs in the months ahead that explores the lives, physical training, and mental preparation of each of the Team USA athletes.
“Our celebrated athletes each have thrilling and very personal stories that inspire and motivate us to always deliver our best effort—in our own lives, careers, and fitness journeys,” said Chris Roussos, Chief Executive Officer, 24 Hour Fitness. “We have an incredible opportunity to introduce these athlete stories to our members in the weeks ahead and cheer them on as they shape their own Olympic and Paralympic dreams. More importantly, it also reaffirms our responsibility to help people—whether they are everyday athletes or U.S. Olympic and Paralympic hopefuls—reach their own fitness goals.”
Members of Team 24 include:
- Gus Kenworthy: Silver medalist in men’s slopestyle skiing at the 2014 Olympic Winter Games in Sochi. A well rounded free skier, his specialties are slopestyle and halfpipe. In addition, Gus is also a 2017 world championship silver medalist and a five-time X Games medalist. As a catalyst for change off the slopes, Gus is the first openly gay action sports athlete, advocating and inspiring others to be confident about themselves. He will also star on the upcoming Olympic edition of Top Chef.
- Elana Meyers Taylor: Two-time U.S. Olympic medalist and current world champion in bobsled. Elana is the first person to win two Olympic medals in both bobsled positions (driver and brakeman); her 2015 gold medal was the first world championship title in women’s bobsled for the U.S. She has competed since 2007, making the national team in her first season. She holds a Bachelor of Science in Exercise Science, master’s degree in Sports Management and an MBA in Finance, putting her knowledge to good use when she interned in the finance department for the IOC in Switzerland.
- Rico Roman: 2014 Paralympic Winter Games gold medalist in sled hockey. Rico is a 2012 gold and 2013 silver medalist, International Paralympic Committee World Sledge Hockey Challenge and is a six-time IPC World Sledge Hockey Challenge medalist. A retired Army Staff Sergeant, Rico had his left leg amputated above the knee when wounded by an improvised explosive device (IED) while serving his third tour in Iraq, February 2007. A Purple Heart recipient, he was introduced to sled hockey by Operation Comfort, an organization dedicated to assisting injured U.S. service personnel.
Since 2004, 24 Hour Fitness has proudly partnered with the U.S. Olympic and Paralympic Teams to support Team USA’s top competitors as they work tirelessly to bring home the gold. More than 100,000 athletes have passed through the Olympic Training Centers and utilized equipment provided by 24 Hour Fitness in their quest to compete at the Games. 24 Hour Fitness also helped design and outfit the High-Performance Training Centers (HPTC) in Beijing in 2008, London in 2012, and Rio in 2016.
The Team USA relationship also offers interesting opportunities for club members and consumers to engage with the U.S. athletes as they prepare for the PyeongChang Olympic and Paralympic Winter Games including:
- Train Like An Olympian: 24 Hour Fitness will launch a Team USA Bootcamp into all club markets beginning January 2018. The eagerly anticipated program is offered exclusively during the Olympic Winter Games and delivers mind and total body conditioning; a fast-paced interval strength workout packed into 50 minutes that also features some of the favorite exercise movements of the Team 24 athletes. Participants will finish feeling like champions, motivated by the challenging training regimens of Team USA athletes.
- Behind-the-Scenes With 24Life™ Magazine: In the months leading up to the PyeongChang Games, the award-winning monthly magazine will bring the “Team 24” athlete stories to life, including the delicate balance of professional and family commitments—a challenge that we all share. The magazine is free to members and consumers alike at 24Life.com.
- The View Inside: 24 Hour Fitness members will have the opportunity to be entered to win a trip to the PyeongChang Olympic Winter Games via its Fit:Perks® rewards program. Their “view from the inside,” will be shared through 24Life media channels for members to enjoy as the Games unfold.
About 24 Hour Fitness
As an industry leader for more than 30 years, 24 Hour Fitness changes lives every day through fitness. Conveniently located clubs, furnished with a wide variety of strength, cardio and functional training equipment, are the perfect environment for fitness professionals to deliver dynamic personal and group training programs. GX24® and cycle studios feature a popular array of live studio classes included with membership. Combined with a welcoming community, the compelling TV and magazine content of 24Life™, Fit:Perks® Rewards and the innovative My24® app, there are a multitude of offerings to engage and inspire every member to lead a full and healthy life both inside and outside of the club. Opening new clubs on average at the brisk pace of one every few weeks, 24 Hour Fitness is headquartered in San Ramon, CA and serves nearly 4 million members in over 420 clubs nationwide.
To learn more about us and to find the club nearest you, visit 24hourfitness.com