SEATTLE--(BUSINESS WIRE)--(NASDAQ:AMZN) – On a day with incredible deals reserved exclusively for Prime members, sales on July 11 surpassed Black Friday and Cyber Monday, making it the biggest day ever in Amazon history. With hundreds of thousands of deals, this year’s Prime Day was too big for 24 hours – so Prime members had 30 hours to shop. The Prime Day 2017 event grew by more than 60 percent compared to the same 30 hours last year, and sales growth by small businesses and entrepreneurs was even higher. More new members joined Prime on July 11 than on any single day in Amazon history. Tens of millions of Prime members made a purchase on Prime Day 2017, more than 50 percent higher than the prior year.
Prime members’ most popular purchase was the Echo Dot, which was not only the best-selling Amazon device this Prime Day, but also the best-selling product from any manufacturer in any category across Amazon globally. Prime Day 2017 was also the biggest sales event ever for Amazon devices in the U.S. and around the world, including record sales for Echo, Fire tablets and Kindle devices. The all new Element 55-inch 4K Ultra HD smart LED TV – Amazon Fire TV Edition was the best-selling TV deal in Amazon history – selling through record units in less than four hours. Top sellers from around the world, excluding Amazon devices, included:
- U.S.: Instant Pot DUO80 7-in-1 Multi-Use Programmable Pressure Cooker; 23andMe DNA Tests for Health + Ancestry
- U.K.: TP-Link Wi-Fi Smart Plug, works with Alexa; Sony Playstation 4
- Spain: SanDisk Ultra Fit 64GB USB 3.0 Flash Drive; Moto G Plus (5th Generation) Smartphone; Lenovo Ideapad 310 Laptop
- Mexico: AmazonBasics Apple Certified Lightning to USB Cable; Nintendo Switch
- Japan: SAVAS Whey Protein; Happy Belly pure bottled water
- Italy: Finish All in One Max tablets; Caffe Vergnano 1882 Espresso machine
- India: OnePlus 5 phone; Seagate Expansion 1.5TB Portable External Drive
- Germany and Austria: PlayStation Plus Membership; Soda Stream
- France and Belgium: PlayStation Plus Membership; Game of Thrones - The Complete Season 1 to 6 Blu-Ray
- China: Fisher Price Soothe and Glow Seahorse; A brief history of humankind+ A brief history of tomorrow set
- Canada: Instant Pot Duo 7-in-1 Multi-Use Programmable Pressure Cooker, 8 Qt; AmazonBasics AA Rechargeable Batteries (8-Pack)
“To those customers who tried Prime for the first time and our long time members, thank you for a great Prime Day,” said Greg Greeley, Vice President, Amazon Prime. “Our teams around the world will keep working to add more and more to your membership, so Prime continues to make your life better every day. We are already looking forward to our Prime Day celebration next year.”
Global Highlights from Prime Day 2017
- A record number of Prime members shopped across 13 countries.
- Prime members purchased seven times more Amazon Echo devices globally than on Prime Day 2016.
- Members saved hundreds of millions of dollars on product discounts globally, compared to the already low prices offered to non-Prime customers.
- More than 3.5 million toys were purchased by customers worldwide on Prime Day 2017.
- Tens of millions of customers used the Amazon App on Prime Day. Customer orders on the Amazon App more than doubled this Prime Day compared to last year.
U.S. Highlights from Prime Day 2017
- Members found deals organized by more than 20 of the most-shopped-for themes – from Pet Lovers to Gardeners and more. The most popular themes on Prime Day were Home Chefs, Techies and For the Home.
- Prime members purchased more than 50,000 TP-Link Smart Plugs.
- The fastest Prime Now deliveries on Prime Day were in Sunnyvale and Berkeley, California and Kirkland, Washington to members who ordered snacks, writeable DVD packs and a Samsung Internal SSD. The orders were each delivered in 12 minutes.
- More than 200,000 women’s dresses and more than 200,000 lightbulbs were purchased by customers on Prime Day 2017.
- More than 100,000 items from Amazon Launchpad startups including the Anova Culinary Bluetooth Sous Vide Precision Cooker, Soylent Coffiest Meal Replacement Drink, Skybell Wi-Fi Video Doorbells and LIFX Wi-Fi Smart LED Light Bulb were orders by customers by on Prime Day 2017.
Prime Members Love Movies, Music and Books
In the week leading up to Prime Day 2017, Prime members enjoyed Prime Video, Prime Reading, Amazon Music and Audible, streaming and downloading more than two times compared to last year. Also in the week leading up to Prime Day, the most downloaded Kindle Unlimited book was Stillhouse Lake and the most streamed song on Amazon Music was “Something Just Like This” by the Chainsmokers & Coldplay.
Small Business and Entrepreneur Highlights from Prime Day 2017
Prime Day 2017 was another record-breaking success for small businesses and entrepreneurs worldwide who participated in the event. Feedback from small businesses and entrepreneurs includes:
“We’re absolutely thrilled – our daily sales increased by over 500 times on Prime Day. Within the first six hours, Furbo Dog Camera shot up to the No.1 Best Seller in four categories including the highly competitive pet supplies and home monitor category,” said, Victor Chang, Furbo Dog Camera, Bellevue, Washington.
“Prime Day was a huge success for us. We had a massive lift in sales last night compared to an average Monday night, and our deal sold out almost as soon as it went live. The level of demand far surpassed our expectations,” said Caron Proschan, Simply Gum, New York, New York.
“Prime Day has been another amazing success this year! Both Monday and Tuesday (Prime Day) were record days in sales for our business. It's great to have the additional sales boost during these traditionally slower summer months,” said Tyler & Courtney LeCompte, Confetti Momma, Lafayette, Louisiana.
“Overall, for the Prime Day event (all 30 hours), we saw about 20 times more overall sales. This is a huge benefit to our business, as it gives us exposure to thousands of new customers, and helps us with cash flow as we ramp up on inventory for the Holiday Season,” said Ben Arneberg, Willow & Everett, Boston, Massachusetts.
“So far, this year’s Prime Day sales increased 350 percent from last year’s. Getting the opportunity to offer lightning deals as a Handmade at Amazon artisan has been a boom to my business,” said Marcia Ricchiuti, Kahili Creations, Pahoa, Hawaii.
“LightAccents had a fantastic Prime Day. It was our best sales day in over two years,” said Lawrence Bibi, LightAccents, based in New York, New York.
Prime Member Highlights from Prime Day 2017
We spoke to several Prime members who shopped on Prime Day and this is what they told us:
“When you're a teacher, your first priority is, and always will be, your students. Thanks to Prime Day, I bought a lot of things, thinking of my students from this past year and this next year. Magnet letters to use for practicing spelling words, stools for them to sit on while working with me at a table, and many books. I also bought some Velcro “coins” to use in the class room. These are life savers!” said Laura McIntosh from Tucson, Arizona.
“After some browsing, I saw that the Fire HD 8 Tablet was on sale for $49.99. Having the newest version with Alexa capabilities, it will be perfect as I plan for my own wedding. I’m an event planner and also have three other weddings from the end of August until December. That is a lot of things to remember. The Fire Tablet can now be with me on commutes and at the airport and maybe I will start to read for fun again,” said Jade Barnes from Philadelphia, Pennsylvania.
“I could hardly believe the savings! Amazon proves time and time again that its reliability and product pricing simply cannot be beat. I am a very proud Prime member and cardholder and I cannot imagine my life without Amazon,” said Liana Babich from Warwick, Rhode Island.