ARLINGTON, Va.--(BUSINESS WIRE)--AvalonBay Communities, Inc. (NYSE: AVB), a leading multifamily real estate investment trust (REIT), today announced its sixth annual Spirit of Caring Month. Throughout May, AvalonBay’s 3,000 associates are encouraged to volunteer their time and talent with more than 50 partner organizations. Donation drives will also be held at the Company’s more than 284 apartment communities. Spirit of Caring Month is an important component of AvalonBay’s overall Building Strong Communities philanthropy program which, in 2016, provided $1.4 million in cash and in-kind donations to organizations focused on disaster preparedness, affordable housing and support for the disadvantaged.
“A Spirit of Caring is one of the core values that defines the culture here at AvalonBay,” said AvalonBay CEO Tim Naughton. “We believe in building strong communities, and our associates are proud to share their genuine kindness and concern for others by taking the time to give back to those who are most in need.”
While volunteering with local organizations occurs throughout the year, Spirit of Caring Month is one more way of demonstrating the Company’s commitment to giving back to the communities where it does business. Among the volunteer projects that AvalonBay associates will participate are:
- Creating donation packages for local children at the Cradles to Crayons warehouse in Boston.
- Filling backpacks full of nutritious food for kids at the Connecticut Food Bank.
- Helping create Mother’s Day cards and spa kits for Doorways and Arlington Free Clinic in the Washington DC area.
- Hosting and helping with mobile adoption events on Long Island for North Shore Animal League.
- Working with New Jersey Community Development Corporation to build a new playground.
- Taking care of routine maintenance at Lifting Up Westchester men’s & women’s shelters.
- Spending the day cleaning and painting a home for Bill Wilson Center in Northern California.
- Rolling up their sleeves and participating in Habitat for Humanity’s Women’s Build in the Seattle area.
- Cleaning up beaches in Los Angeles and San Diego, as well as spending a few days at Second Harvest Food Bank.
- Remodeling a room designed for pediatric cancer patients with Roc Solid Foundation in Virginia Beach.
About AvalonBay Communities, Inc.
As of March 31, 2017, the Company owned or held a direct or indirect ownership interest in 284 apartment communities containing 82,533 apartment homes in 10 states and the District of Columbia, of which 24 communities were under development and nine communities were under redevelopment. The Company is an equity REIT in the business of developing, redeveloping, acquiring and managing apartment communities in leading metropolitan areas in New England, the New York/New Jersey Metro area, the Mid-Atlantic, the Pacific Northwest, and the Northern and Southern California regions of the United States. For more information on the Company’s commitment to Building Strong Communities visit http://www.avaloncommunities.com/about-us/corporate-responsibility/community-investment.