FORT WASHINGTON, Pa.--(BUSINESS WIRE)--Between trick-or-treating, Thanksgiving dinner and holiday parties, keeping the weight off can be a challenge for many individuals this time of year. According to a new survey just released by Nutrisystem, Inc., (NASDAQ: NTRI) a leading provider of weight management products and services, Americans are without a doubt battling the bulge during the holiday season.
The survey, conducted online in October in the U.S. on behalf of Nutrisystem by Harris Poll, polled 2,032 Americans, both male and female, and found
- Nearly 1/3 (32%) of adults said they or their spouse/partner gained weight between Halloween and New Years last year.
- Of those that gained weight themselves, 3 in 4 (75%) said they gained 5 or more pounds and 1 in 3 (34%) say they gained 10 pounds or more.
- About 2 in 5 claim that they (39%) or their spouse/partner (44%) went up a full clothing size during this time.
“The holidays are a hard time of year for those trying to lose or maintain weight,” says Courtney McCormick, Corporate Dietitian at Nutrisystem. “Parties and holiday outings are often associated with overeating or the feeling of being stuffed, but they don’t have to be. There are simple ways to enjoy time with family and friends, but still stay on the weight loss track.”
Nutrisystem provides these holiday survival tips:
- The day of the event, start the morning out with exercise and a breakfast high in protein and fiber.
- Depriving yourself all day so you can “enjoy” the party can lead to overeating. Eat a healthy meal 2 – 3 hours prior to the event so you’re not starving when you arrive.
- Don’t go overboard on finger foods. Choose vegetables or protein like chicken skewers for an appetizer.
- Rather than filling up a large plate, use a salad or dessert plate for your meal.
- Watch your liquid calories! Choose low-calorie alcoholic beverages such as a half a glass of dry white wine, a light beer or clear liquor with water, diet or club soda.
To learn more about Nutrisystem, its plans and menu items, or to order, please visit www.nutrisystem.com.
About Nutrisystem, Inc.
Nutrisystem, Inc. (NASDAQ: NTRI) is a leader in the weight loss industry, having helped millions of people lose weight over the course of more than 40 years. The Company’s weight loss solutions include Nutrisystem® My Way®, a 28-day structured food delivery program including a digital platform, NuMi by Nutrisystem®, multi-day kits and individual products available at select retail outlets. The Company’s current product line offers customers the most meal choices, including more than 100 foods containing no artificial preservatives or artificial flavors. Nutrisystem® plans are consistent with national guidelines for dietary intake meeting targets for fat, sodium, sugar, cholesterol, fiber and physical activity and include comprehensive counseling options from trained weight loss coaches, registered dietitians and certified diabetes educators. Plans can be customized to specific dietary needs and preferences including the Nutrisystem® D® program for people with Type 2 diabetes or pre-diabetes. For more information, go to NutrisystemNews.com.
This survey was conducted online within the United States by Harris Poll on behalf of Nutrisystem from October 5–7, 2015 among 2,032 adults ages 18 and older, among which 540 say they themselves gained weight and 258 say their spouse/partner gained weight between Halloween and New Year’s last year. This online survey is not based on a probability sample and therefore no estimate of theoretical sampling error can be calculated. For complete survey methodology, including weighting variables, please contact Deanna Every, firstname.lastname@example.org
About Nielsen & The Harris Poll
On February 3, 2014, Nielsen acquired Harris Interactive and The Harris Poll. Nielsen Holdings N.V. (NYSE: NLSN) is a global information and measurement company with leading market positions in marketing and consumer information, television and other media measurement, online intelligence and mobile measurement. Nielsen has a presence in approximately 100 countries, with headquarters in New York, USA and Diemen, the Netherlands. For more information, visit www.nielsen.com.