ROSEMONT, Ill.--(BUSINESS WIRE)--US Foods, one of the country’s most innovative food companies and distributors, congratulates the 2012 Austin-San Antonio Rising Stars. US Foods was a sponsor of the cooking event hosted by StarChefs.com and supplied the contestants with food items, such as sea scallops, Cabrito ribs, baby yellowtail and all natural pork, to create their winning recipes.
“The Rising Star events recognize the culinary innovators of tomorrow and we are particularly honored to sponsor the Austin-San Antonio event where 12 of the 19 talented winners are US Foods customers,” said Bill Brooks, US Foods Executive Chef. “Austin and San Antonio have thriving culinary scenes and it is a pleasure to be able to support world class Chefs like our customers with the top quality foods that fuel their imagination to make American cuisine the most exciting in the world. We congratulate the Rising Stars for standing out among the crowd with their exceptional culinary skills.”
The winners of the 2012 Austin-San Antonio Rising Stars are:
- Chef David Bull, Congress Austin
- Chef Ned Elliott, Foreign & Domestic
- Chef Aaron Franklin, Franklin Barbecue
- Chef Bryce Gilmore, Barley Swine
- Chef Rene Ortiz, La Condesa
- Chef Paul Qui, Uchiko
- Chef Quealy Watson, The Monterey
- Chef Andrew Wiseheart, Contigo
- Pastry Chef Plinio Sandalio, Carillon
- Pastry Chef Philip Speer, Uchiko
- Sustainability Chef Michael Sohocki, Restaurant Gwendolyn
- Hotel Chef Josh Watkins, Carillon
- Artisans John Bate and Brandon Martinez, The Noble Pig
- Restaurateur Tyson Cole, Uchi, Uchi Houston and Uchiko
- Restaurateur Jason Dady, Bin 555, Tre Trattoria and Two Bros. BBQ Market
- Mixologist Jeret Pena, Esquire Tavern
- Sommelier June Rodil, Congress
- Host Chef Jonathan Gelman, Driskill Grill
The 2012 Austin-San Antonio Rising Star winners were acknowledged this week during a special ceremony at the Driskill Hotel in Austin. The event was attended by approximately 300 chefs, industry professionals and food lovers from around the country. Each year StarChefs.com recognizes up-and-coming chefs and culinary professionals who represent the vanguard of the contemporary American dining scene in four American cities.
For more information on US Foods, visit www.usfoods.com.
About US Foods
With nearly $19 billion in annual revenue, US Foods is the 10th largest private company in America, and a leading foodservice distributor. Many of the entities that make up US Foods were founded in the 19th century, including one that sold provisions to travelers heading west during the 1850s gold rush. US Foods offers more than 350,000 national brand products and its own high-quality “exclusive brand” items, ranging from fresh meats and produce to prepared and frozen foods. The company proudly employs approximately 25,000 people in more than 60 locations nationwide, and provides the finest quality food and related products to more than 250,000 customers, including independent and multi-unit restaurants, healthcare and hospitality entities, government and educational institutions. The company is headquartered in Rosemont, Ill., and jointly owned by funds managed by Clayton, Dubilier & Rice Inc. and Kohlberg Kravis Roberts & Co. Discover more at www.usfoods.com.