READING, Pa.--(BUSINESS WIRE)--It’s May. Unfortunately, along with our love of spring can come a resurgence of allergies and asthma attacks. Just don’t blame it all on the pollen. It could be the pests. May is National Asthma and Allergy Awareness Month, and with it comes a little-known fact that pests and rodents can also emit allergens—miniscule particles that can produce mild to severe allergy symptoms. So what’s the best defense? The Rentokil Companies (Ehrlich Pest Control, Western Exterminator and Presto-X Pest Control) offer simple, strategic advice that can help keep your home or office pest-free. Safely.
First, the facts:
- Roaches. Rats. Mice. And more. These unwanted critters can creep into your space, leaving allergen particles in their wake, and when these are inhaled, your immune system can overreact, leading to sneezing and wheezing—all those reactions symptomatic of allergies and asthma.
- Insects and rodents not only can help set off an asthma attack, they can even introduce the disease. According to the Center for Disease Control (CDC), over 25 million people (including more than 7 million children) suffer from asthma, a chronic, often life-threatening illness. Eliminating allergen-carrying pests in your vicinity can keep those numbers at bay, and may even help prevent them from increasing.
- After spring comes summer, and with it the stingers: Bees, wasps, fire ants—venom-producing bugs that can leave you with itching, hives and shortness of breath.
IPM: Common-sense defense
The Rentokil Companies strongly urge using Integrated Pest Management (IPM), the approach recommended by the Environmental Protection Agency (EPA), particularly where asthma and allergies are concerned. IPM makes sense because it is highly effective and eco-friendly. The method combines a common-sense combo of practices, from prevention and the application of environmentally sensitive pesticides, to mechanical trapping devices. Some Rentokil pointers:
Keeping pests out. Part of IPM involves doing a detailed check of your home or facility, scouting out any areas that could be a “welcome” sign for pests:
- Where are the holes, the gaps, the cracks? Check window and door screens, entryways, openings around pipes, drains, HVAC devices, etc. Then seal, repair or replace.
- Pests like food and sweets. Remember to wipe up spills, tightly wrap up and store anything edible.
- Pests thrive in unsanitary conditions. Seal and dispose of dirty diapers. Close garbage bags and garbage cans tightly. Clean litter boxes often. Pick up after the dog—even if it’s in your own yard.
Getting pests out. No two situations are going to be the same. The best approach to pest control is to focus on eliminating the root cause of pest problems, while still using the safest, most effective methods available to get rid of active, harmful infestations. IPM uses common sense practices in a manner least hazardous to people, property, and the environment to eliminate the threats these unwanted creatures pose.
Insects and rodents are not the guests we want in or around our homes at any time of the year. Now that you know their connection to allergies and asthma, it is even more important to take the right steps to prevent and control any possible infestation.
For more information, advice or assistance on implementing an IPM program, contact the Rentokil company nearest you: In the Eastern states, contact Ehrlich Pest Control at (888) 976-4649; in the Central states, contact Presto-X Pest Control at (800) 759-1942; and in the Western states, contact Western Exterminator at (877) 507-9459.
About Rentokil North America
Ehrlich Pest Control (www.jcehrlich.com), Western Exterminator (www.westernexterminator.com), and Presto-X Pest Control (www.prestox.com) are all part of the Rentokil family of companies in North America. They provide commercial and residential pest control, bioremediation, bird control, vegetation management, deer repellent services, wild-animal trapping and termite control from more than 150 local offices in the U.S., Canada and Mexico. Rentokil is the world’s largest commercial pest control company, operating in 49 countries worldwide. For more information, visit www.rentokil.com/us.