PHILADELPHIA--(BUSINESS WIRE)--Comcast Corporation (Nasdaq: CMCSA, CMCSK), one of the world’s leading media, entertainment and communications companies, announced today that Comcast and NBCUniversal have been designated among the nation’s “best places to work” for lesbian, gay, bisexual and transgender (LGBT) people, and has earned a 100 percent score on the Human Rights Campaign’s 2013 Corporate Equality Index. This recognition represents a first for the combined companies, and is considered a trusted benchmark measuring America’s top workplaces and their inclusion of LGBT employees.
With a million members, the Human Rights Campaign is the nation’s largest civil rights organization working to achieve equality for LGBT Americans. A complete list of the 2013 Corporate Equality Index rankings can be found at www.hrc.org.
“This milestone mirrors our corporate values and practices in a very meaningful way,” said Maria G. Arias, Executive Director of Diversity and Inclusion, Comcast Corporation. “Comcast and NBCUniversal are deeply proud of our dedication to creating a respectful, inclusive and equal workplace for all, and we are honored to receive this recognition for our commitment to the LGBT community.”
“HRC’s Corporate Equality Index has long stood as a leading indicator of the overall culture of a company,” said Craig Robinson, Executive Vice President and Chief Diversity Officer for NBCUniversal. “While the HRC’s work is focused on achieving equality for the lesbian, gay, bisexual and transgender community, our perfect score sends a strong message about our company’s respect for all communities.”
Comcast has had a longstanding commitment to diversity since its founding nearly 50 years ago. Comcast and NBCUniversal support the LGBT community through many initiatives, including:
- Comcast and NBCUniversal have LGBT affinity groups to help attract, develop and retain LGBT employees by providing volunteer and networking opportunities and allowing people to make the most of their benefits, while advocating for policies that promote an inclusive work environment.
- Comcast’s and NBCUniversal’s external Joint Diversity Council includes members that reflect the LGBT community.
- We have created a partnership with the National Gay and Lesbian Chamber of Commerce, and provide support for their programs and services aimed at LGBT small business owners.
- We support the Horizons Foundation, a philanthropic social justice organization that serves the LGBT community by making grants, strengthening LGBT organizations and leadership and increasing philanthropic giving.
- We are proud supporters of Gay & Lesbian Alliance Against Defamation (GLAAD) and their annual Media Awards around the country. We also provide airtime for their “Be an Ally and a Friend” public service announcement campaign, which encourages tolerance.
- We sponsor the Trevor Project — a 24-hour suicide prevention hotline for LGBT teens — and teamed with them and MINDTV to televise their original filmography.
- NBCUniversal has a rich history of showcasing groundbreaking LGBT content from Broke Back Mountain, The Kids Are All Right, Milk and most recently The New Normal, SMASH, Chicago Fire and Watch What Happens Live with Andy Cohen.
- NBCUniversal has increased its commitment to creating the next generation of storytellers by working with and supporting LGBT youth. In April 2012, the creation of the NBCUniversal Point Foundation Scholarship for an LGBT student pursuing a degree in film/TV production or broadcast/digital journalism was announced.
- In October, Comcast and NBCUniversal supported GLAAD’s Spirit Day by going purple on-air, online and behind-the-scenes to show support for LGBT youth and speak out against bullying in our schools.
- NBCUniversal attracts new employees by being a visible employer of choice in the LBGT community by participating in events such as the National Lesbian & Gay Journalists Association and the Out & Equal Workplace Summit.
- Xfinity TV customers have access to a year-round On Demand pride offering that includes award-winning and nominated movies, biographical films, documentaries, popular TV series and specials.
About Comcast Corporation
Comcast Corporation (Nasdaq: CMCSA, CMCSK) (www.comcast.com) is one of the world’s leading media, entertainment and communications companies. Comcast is principally involved in the operation of cable systems through Comcast Cable and in the development, production and distribution of entertainment, news, sports and other content for global audiences through NBCUniversal. Comcast Cable is one of the nation's largest video, high-speed Internet and phone providers to residential and business customers. Comcast is the majority owner and manager of NBCUniversal, which owns and operates entertainment and news cable networks, the NBC and Telemundo broadcast networks, local television station groups, television production operations, a major motion picture company and theme parks.