LOUISVILLE, Ky.--(BUSINESS WIRE)--Humana Inc. (NYSE: HUM) today announced that its Medicare plans for 2018 are designed with value in mind, and many plans will include new and enhanced benefits. The changes for 2018 reinforce Humana’s commitment to delivering affordable health plan options that can help people with Medicare achieve their best health.
The annual Medicare Advantage and Prescription Drug Plan enrollment period begins Oct. 15.
Highlights of Humana’s 2018 Medicare plans include:
- More Medicare plan choices in more places around the country
- More plans with fitness and wellness services
- Humana Walmart Rx prescription drug plan to help members save on medications
- Plan options with low or $0 monthly premiums
- Plans that offer preferred cost-sharing options for primary care and prescription coverage
Humana has served Medicare beneficiaries for three decades, with more than 8.5 million Medicare members in all 50 states, Washington, D.C. and Puerto Rico, as of June 30, 2017. Nearly 3.3 million of those members are enrolled in a Medicare Advantage plan, which often provides them with extra coverage, such as prescription drug coverage and dental, hearing and vision benefits.
“People with Medicare rely on their health plan,” said Alan Wheatley, president, Retail Segment at Humana. “That’s why we’re enhancing many of our plan offerings in 2018, investing more in our plans’ value and including benefits and services that offer a more personalized approach to health coverage – to help meet the unique health needs and goals of our members.”
Preserving the stability of benefits and premiums in 2018 was a priority, and a significant percentage of Humana’s current Medicare Advantage members will experience comparable or enhanced value in their 2018 plans and benefits.
During the Annual Election Period (AEP), which runs from Oct. 15 through Dec. 7, 2017, people with Medicare can choose Medicare Advantage and Prescription Drug Plans for the upcoming year. Humana’s 2018 Medicare offerings include a range of Medicare Advantage and Medicare Prescription Drug Plans. Humana also offers Medicare Supplement plans, which can be purchased year-round.
Medicare Advantage Plans
Medicare Advantage (MA) plans cover all the benefits of Original Medicare (Parts A and B) – but offer additional health and wellness benefits and services. Many Medicare Advantage offerings combine medical and prescription drug coverage into one, easy-to-use plan.
Humana offers a wide choice of Medicare Advantage plans across the country – from HMOs, to local and regional PPOs and Private Fee-for-Service (PFFS) plans – designed to meet a variety of needs. For 2018, Humana will expand HMO offerings into 127 new counties and introduce PPO plans in 81 new counties.
Many Humana Medicare Advantage plans include:
- Coverage for Medicare Parts A and B, with predictable copayments and no deductibles
- Part D prescription drug coverage (Medicare Advantage plans without Part D prescription coverage are also available)
- Benefits for services that Medicare doesn’t cover, including routine eye exams, preventive dental care and vision coverage
- Maximum out-of-pocket protection (on all Humana Medicare Advantage plans)
- Programs designed to improve health and manage chronic conditions
In 2018, most Humana Medicare Advantage members will continue to have access to Go365TM, a wellness and rewards program designed to motivate and reward members for taking steps to improve and continue their healthy behaviors. In addition, Humana has continued to expand its telemedicine program, offering eligible members phone or Web access to board-certified physicians for non-emergency medical conditions.
Medicare Prescription Drug Plans
A Medicare Prescription Drug Plan (PDP) can help lower prescription drug expenses and protect against higher costs. Humana offers a number of PDP options, including the Humana Walmart Rx Plan (PDP), with monthly premiums of $18.40 in Indiana, Kentucky and Ohio and $20.40 in all other states. The co-branded offering from Humana and Walmart is Humana’s most popular PDP option, according to enrollment data from the Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Services (CMS). It features:
- In-store copays as low as $1 on Preferred Generic drugs purchased at Walmart, Sam's Club, and Walmart Neighborhood Market pharmacies*
- Mail-order copays as low as $0 on a 90-day supply of most Preferred Generic drugs filled through Humana Pharmacy
- No deductible for most covered Tier 1 and 2 generic drugs, with more than 1,500 generic prescriptions covered by the plan to help plan members save money**
Health and Well-Being Resources
Most Humana Medicare Advantage members enjoy access to a number of programs and services that encourage healthy behaviors and foster overall well-being. For example:
- A fitness program specially designed for Medicare Advantage members through the SilverSneakers® fitness program***
- The HumanaFirst® nurse advice line that provides guidance and answers to non-emergency questions 24 hours a day, seven days a week
- SmartSummary and SmartSummaryRx – easy-to-read, personalized updates, provided after a member has a claim. These statements show how Humana members are using their health plan and what they’ve spent on health care
In addition, eligible Humana Medicare Advantage members who need help remaining independent at home have access to their own personal care manager through Humana At HomeSM. Humana At Home Care Managers will call or visit them regularly and provide personalized education and assistance in accessing resources for medications, transportation and more.
Members leaving a hospital who are at high risk to be readmitted, can get help understanding and accessing the support they need to make the transition back home as smooth as possible.
For More Information
For more information about Humana’s 2018 Medicare offerings, visit www.Humana.com/Medicare or call toll-free 1-866-836-1210 (TTY: 711). Representatives are available 24 hours a day, seven days a week.
*The ability to take advantage of $1 copays for Preferred Generic drugs may be limited in areas where preferred cost-sharing pharmacies are not easily accessible.
**A $405 annual deductible applies to Tiers 3, 4 and 5.
***Not available with all plans.
Humana Inc. is committed to helping our millions of medical and specialty members achieve their best health. Our successful history in care delivery and health plan administration is helping us create a new kind of integrated care with the power to improve health and well-being and lower costs. Our efforts are leading to a better quality of life for people with Medicare, families, individuals, military service personnel, and communities at large.
To accomplish that, we support physicians and other health care professionals as they work to deliver the right care in the right place for their patients, our members. Our range of clinical capabilities, resources and tools – such as in-home care, behavioral health, pharmacy services, data analytics and wellness solutions – combine to produce a simplified experience that makes health care easier to navigate and more effective.
More information regarding Humana is available to investors via the Investor Relations page of the company’s web site at www.humana.com, including copies of:
- Annual reports to stockholders
- Securities and Exchange Commission filings
- Most recent investor conference presentations
- Quarterly earnings news releases and conference calls
- Calendar of events
- Corporate Governance information
Humana is a Medicare Advantage HMO, PPO, and PFFS organization and a stand-alone prescription drug plan with a Medicare contract. Enrollment in any Humana plan depends on contract renewal. This information is not a complete listing of benefits. Contact the plan for more information. Limitations, copayments and restrictions may apply. Benefits may change on January 1 of each year. Members must continue to pay their Medicare Part B premium. Other providers and pharmacies are available in our network. The provider network may change at any time. Impacted members are notified when necessary.