MILPITAS, Calif.--(BUSINESS WIRE)--Efficient Drivetrains, Inc. (EDI), a global leader in advanced high-efficiency zero emissions hybrid and electric drivetrain solutions, today announced a collaboration with leading bus manufacturer in Taiwan, Master Transportation. Together the companies are working to develop an industry-first, zero-emissions, all-electric bus program--created to significantly reduce emissions by replacing diesel buses for the Taiwanese government.
The collaboration integrates the Efficient Drivetrains EDI PowerDrive EV™ all-electric drivetrain and EDI PowerSuite™ vehicle control software into a Master Transportation passenger bus utilizing battery packs from local supplier, Yiding, and LFP cells from Shenyang. The initial bus will be completed in Q4 of 2017, and is the first of its kind to meet the “made in Taiwan” policy—a government initiative created to establish local supply chain, requiring that at least 70% of the components be from manufacturers in Taiwan. The modular architecture, and inline form of the EDI PowerDrive™ product family has enabled Master Transportation to meet the “made in Taiwan” policy and allows for easy optimization into a wide range of bus types, making rapid market introductions possible, while providing full OEM vehicle performance.
Efficient Drivetrains moved to established partnerships with local suppliers in response to the recent introduction of a green transportation plan in Taiwan. The stringent anti-idle and emissions reduction mandates, require that the 10,000+ diesel buses operating in cities across Taiwan are replaced with all-electric in ten years. The company has extended its EDI PowerDrive™ EV OEM vehicle developers kit and support program offering for bus manufacturers in Taiwan to enable the rapid creation of all-electric vehicle solutions that meet industry regulations.
With planned completion of the initial bus in Q4 of this year, the vehicle will operate in normal passenger transit duty and will eliminate harmful particulate and nitrogen oxide (NOx) emissions. With this latest delivery, EDI has now integrated its EDI PowerDrive™ and EDI PowerSuite™ technology into over 100 PHEV and EV buses throughout the Asia Pacific region. The collective fleet has performed well in multiple terrains and climates—accumulating over 2 million miles in road-tested service around the world.
- EDI has collaborated with leading bus manufacturer, Master Transportation in Taiwan to deliver an industry-first all electric bus that meets the “made in Taiwan” government policy
- The company has expanded its Asia Pacific footprint into Taiwan in response to the growing market opportunity for electrified mass transit applications. To ensure successful market entry, EDI has partnered with local bus OEMs, technology, and component suppliers.
- To enable rapid market entry for vehicle OEMS, EDI is offering EDI PowerDrive EV™ electrification kits and support programs for vehicle manufacturers, including control software and optional telematics for vehicle analytics and real-time fleet monitoring.
- Other large OEMs focused on creating electrified work, logistics, refuse, port trucks, and bus applications are highly interested in EDI’s electrification kit given the company’s proven background with major vehicle platforms like Ford, Freightliner, GM, International, Peterbilt, Shaanxi, Ankai, and others
“EDI strives to lead the effort in bringing zero-emissions, clean transportation solutions across the globe. To successfully expand our footprint in the APAC region, and into Taiwan, we have aligned our company with market-leading industry partners with a strong acumen for local business practices. To date, EDI is the only PHEV and EV drivetrain solution provider to offer a full range of cost effective, reliable, and efficient systems for commercial truck and bus applications. We’re very much looking forward to delivering another industry-first in the commercial vehicle space.
-Joerg Ferchau, CEO, Efficient Drivetrains, Inc.
“The Asia Pacific region continues to lead the world in rapid adoption of PHEV and Electric vehicles. Their strong focus in electrifying public transportation and commercial vehicles in the next decade will drive significant reduction in emissions and restore clean environment. EDI is excited to play a large role in making this happen with our zero-emissions drivetrain offering.”
-CW Chen, Vice President Asia Pacific Business, Efficient Drivetrains, Inc.
- Bluebird announces All-New electric School Bus Solutions news release
- EDI Selected by Four Major OEMS in China to Rapidly Deploy Electrified Buses news release
- EDI PowerDrive™ 6000 Surpasses the Million-Mile Mark news release
- EDI CNG PHEV City Bus Receives Government Certification news release
- EDI on LinkedIn
- EDI on Facebook
- EDI Vehicle Project Videos
Efficient Drivetrains, Inc. (EDI) develops and markets a range of state-of-the-art PHEV and EV drivetrain solutions worldwide. EDI’s leading-edge hybrid-electric drivetrain systems and technologies enable OEMs to meet zero-emissions requirements while providing significant cost and efficiency advantages for parallel and series hybrid, and electric drivetrain architectures across nearly all platform classes and configurations. EDI is active in commercial automotive projects throughout North America and the APAC region. Visit www.efficientdrivetrains.com for more information.