ATLANTA--(BUSINESS WIRE)--Amerigroup Community Care of Georgia is launching new efforts to help families with school-aged youth across the state by providing free back-to-school clothing and grooming. Amerigroup’s Style Tour will travel through the entire state of Georgia and distribute thousands of clothing items to help jump start back-to-school wardrobes. Each event stop will also feature pampering stations that offer various grooming services, such as haircuts and manicures. This tour follows Amerigroup’s Back-to-School Supply distribution tour, which offered tens of thousands of free school supplies to families across the state, and is an additional effort to break down barriers that can hinder academic success.
“As a leader in coordinating Medicaid services across our State, Amerigroup understands the needs of Georgia’s youth and families, including the supports families need during back to school season,” said Mel Lindsey, Amerigroup Georgia’s health plan president. “We are committed to helping families and individuals across Georgia to access resources that can help improve health and lives, and we are proud to play a role in helping thousands of children and teens to succeed in school.”
School officials have reported that youth who do not have appropriate clothing or supplies, tend to miss school more often than their peers. With one in five students living in poverty across Georgia, access to clothing becomes a significant barrier to academic success. Statistics also show that on average, it costs a family approximately $500 per child to prepare for the upcoming school year. Since this expense may not be feasible for many Georgia families with limited incomes, Amerigroup is stepping in to help.
Amerigroup Style Tour events are scheduled for the following dates and locations:
- Athens – Friday, Aug. 4: East Athens Community Center, 400 McKinley Dr., Athens, GA 30601; 2 – 4 p.m.
- Atlanta – Wednesday, Aug. 9: Oak Hill Child and Family Adolescent Center, 2805 Metropolitan Pkwy., Atlanta, GA 30315; 5 – 7 p.m.
- Macon – Thursday, Aug. 10: Buck Melton Community Center, 150 Sessions Dr., Macon, GA 31204; 3 – 5 p.m.
- Augusta – Friday, Aug. 11: Henry Brigham Center, 2463 Golden Camp Rd., Augusta, GA 30906; 5 – 7 p.m.
- Dalton – Saturday, Aug. 13: Delray Farms 2518 E Walnut Ave Dalton GA 30721 12 – 2 p.m.
- Atlanta – Tuesday, Aug. 15: South Cobb Recreation Center, 875 Six Flags Dr., Austell, GA 30168; 5:30 – 7:30 p.m.
- Albany – Tuesday, Aug. 15: Kut N Edge Barber Shop, 1513 Radium Springs Rd., Albany, GA 31705; 5:30 – 7:00 p.m.
- Valdosta – Tuesday, Aug. 15: Winn Dixie, 3200 N. Ashley St., Valdosta, GA 31601; 4 – 5:30 p.m.
- Brunswick – Thursday, Aug. 24: Brooklyn Homes “B” Park, 70 Brooklyn Homes, Brunswick, GA 31520; 6 – 8 p.m.
- Savannah – Friday, Aug. 25: Savannah Gardens 515 Pennsylvania Ave Savannah, GA 31404; 6 – 8 p.m.
Each event is open to the public and will offer a family-friendly celebration with entertainment, games, prizes, snacks, refreshments and health information at no charge. Every child will have the opportunity to select a popular-fashion t-shirt or a uniform polo shirt. They will also receive a pair of stylish socks to complete their look.
ABOUT AMERIGROUP COMMUNITY CARE OF GEORGIA
Amerigroup Community Care of Georgia helps improve health care access and quality for more than 380,000 low-income Georgians by developing innovative care management programs and services. Members are assured care that is not only accessible, but also accountable, comprehensive, integrated and patient-centered. Amerigroup Georgia provides ongoing community relations and outreach to encourage members to become active participants in their health care. Through health education programs, members are empowered to choose and sustain a healthy lifestyle. For more information about Amerigroup Community Care of Georgia, visit www.myamerigroup.com/ga.