KENILWORTH, N.J.--(BUSINESS WIRE)--Merck (NYSE:MRK), known as MSD outside of the United States and Canada, today announced the presentation of data at The Alzheimer’s Association International Conference taking place in London, July 16–20, 2017.
"Alzheimer’s disease remains one of the most daunting medical issues of our time –for individuals and their families, for the scientific and medical communities, and for public health,” said Darryle Schoepp, vice president, neuroscience discovery, Merck Research Laboratories. "Merck has extensive research underway to develop novel medicines for Alzheimer’s disease, and to improve understanding of the science and impact of this devastating disease."
Notable abstracts to be presented at The Alzheimer’s Association International Conference® include:
Saturday, July 15
- First Evaluation of the Neurofibrillary Tangles Radioligand [18F]MK-6240 in AD Patients (Poster presentation, Abstract IC-P-177, 12:15 p.m. – 1:30 p.m. BST)
- In Vitro Binding Studies to Evaluate the NFT-Specificity of [3H]MK-6240 and [3H]AV-1451 Binding in Subcortical Regions of Human AD Brain (Poster presentation, Abstract IC-P-207, 12:15 p.m. – 1:30 p.m. BST)
Sunday, July 16
- The Race to Diagnose: Disease Severity As a Factor of AD Diagnosis (Poster presentation, Abstract P1-565, 9:30 a.m. – 4:15 p.m. BST)
- Episode of Care Among AD Patients Newly Diagnosed in Inpatient Setting in the U.S. Medicare Population (Poster presentation, Abstract P1-590, 9:30 a.m. – 4:15 p.m. BST)
- Systems Pharmacology Analysis of the Aβ Oligomer Response Following BACE1 Inhibition: Evidence for Second-Order Aβ42 Oligomerization (Poster presentation, Abstract P1-108, 9:30 a.m. – 4:15 p.m. BST)
Monday, July 17
- Comparison of Healthcare Costs for AD Patients Diagnosed in Inpatient Versus Non-Inpatient Setting (Poster presentation, Abstract P2-558, 9:30 a.m. – 4:15 p.m. BST)
- Health Care Use Among Newly Diagnosed AD Patients in a U.S. Commercial Medicare Advantage Insurance Plan (Poster presentation, Abstract P2-557, 9:30 a.m. – 4:15 p.m. BST)
- Resilience Mechanism of the Amyloid Precursor Protein (APP) Pathway Revealed By Systems Pharmacology Modeling Following β- and γ-Secretase Inhibition (Poster presentation, Abstract P2-066, 9:30 a.m. – 4:15 p.m. BST)
- Acute Administration of a BACE Inhibitor in Healthy Humans Results in a Significant Reduction of Aβ Oligomers in Cerebrospinal Fluid (Oral presentation, Abstract O2-09-01, 2:00 p.m. – 2:15 p.m. BST)
Tuesday, July 18
- Phenotypic Screening for Novel Inhibitors of Tau Aggregation in Human iPSC-Derived Neurons (Poster presentation, P3-083, 9:30 a.m. – 4:15 p.m. BST)
- Real-World Administration of the AD Assessment Scale-Cognitive (Poster presentation, Abstract P3-253, 9:30 a.m. – 4:15 p.m. BST)
Wednesday, July 19
- Health Care Use Among Newly Diagnosed AD Patients in a U.S. Database of Employer-Sponsored Medicare Supplement Insurance Plans (Poster presentation, Abstract P4-358, 9:30 a.m. – 4:15 p.m. BST)
- An Analytic Method to Address the Non-Linearity Form of AD Modifying Model (Poster presentation, Abstract P4-204, 9:30 a.m. – 4:15 p.m. BST)
- Potentiation of Tau Pathology By the ApoEε4 Dementia Risk Allele (Poster presentation, Abstract P4-111, 9:30 AM – 4:15 PM BST)
Thursday, July 20
- Leveraging Medicare Claims to Characterize Diagnostic Pathways in AD (Oral presentation, Abstract O5-03-03, 12:15 p.m. – 12:30 p.m. BST)
For more information, including a list of abstract titles, please visit: https://www.alz.org/aaic/.
About Merck’s Commitment to Alzheimer’s Disease
For more than 10 years, Merck has been researching different ways to treat Alzheimer’s disease. In addition to our dedicated internal research efforts, we are driving innovation in collaboration with others and leveraging the latest innovations in brain imaging technology in order to help identify individuals in the early stages of Alzheimer’s disease. Merck is working to improve our understanding of the disease to help those living with Alzheimer’s and their loved ones around the world.
For more than a century, Merck, a leading global biopharmaceutical company known as MSD outside of the United States and Canada, has been inventing for life, bringing forward medicines and vaccines for many of the world’s most challenging diseases. Through our prescription medicines, vaccines, biologic therapies and animal health products, we work with customers and operate in more than 140 countries to deliver innovative health solutions. We also demonstrate our commitment to increasing access to health care through far-reaching policies, programs and partnerships. Today, Merck continues to be at the forefront of research to advance the prevention and treatment of diseases that threaten people and communities around the world - including cancer, cardio-metabolic diseases, emerging animal diseases, Alzheimer’s disease and infectious diseases including HIV and Ebola. For more information, visit www.merck.com and connect with us on Twitter, Facebook, Instagram, YouTube and LinkedIn.
Forward-Looking Statement of Merck & Co., Inc., Kenilworth, N.J., USA
This news release of Merck & Co., Inc., Kenilworth, N.J., USA (the “company”) includes “forward-looking statements” within the meaning of the safe harbor provisions of the U.S. Private Securities Litigation Reform Act of 1995. These statements are based upon the current beliefs and expectations of the company’s management and are subject to significant risks and uncertainties. There can be no guarantees with respect to pipeline products that the products will receive the necessary regulatory approvals or that they will prove to be commercially successful. If underlying assumptions prove inaccurate or risks or uncertainties materialize, actual results may differ materially from those set forth in the forward-looking statements.
Risks and uncertainties include but are not limited to, general industry conditions and competition; general economic factors, including interest rate and currency exchange rate fluctuations; the impact of pharmaceutical industry regulation and health care legislation in the United States and internationally; global trends toward health care cost containment; technological advances, new products and patents attained by competitors; challenges inherent in new product development, including obtaining regulatory approval; the company’s ability to accurately predict future market conditions; manufacturing difficulties or delays; financial instability of international economies and sovereign risk; dependence on the effectiveness of the company’s patents and other protections for innovative products; and the exposure to litigation, including patent litigation, and/or regulatory actions.
The company undertakes no obligation to publicly update any forward-looking statement, whether as a result of new information, future events or otherwise. Additional factors that could cause results to differ materially from those described in the forward-looking statements can be found in the company’s 2016 Annual Report on Form 10-K and the company’s other filings with the Securities and Exchange Commission (SEC) available at the SEC’s Internet site (www.sec.gov).