SUFFOLK, Va.--(BUSINESS WIRE)--The Center of Veterinary Expertise (The COVE), recently celebrated its 5-year anniversary providing 24/7 emergency and specialty care for the community’s companion animals. Located at 6550 Hampton Roads Parkway, in Suffolk, team members recently welcomed Suffolk Mayor Linda Johnson to a morning of commemoration, reflection, and recognition.
“In 2012, The COVE opened its doors to a very special hospital to provide emergency and advanced care for pets and their families. Since then, we have had over 38,000 patient visits - treating illnesses and/or injuries from kennel cough to major trauma,” said Danielle Russ, Hospital Manager. “It is an honor to serve as a partner to a community filled with incredible pet owners and primary care veterinarians who often refer their patients to us.”
Additional highlights include:
- The ONLY full time board-certified veterinary cardiologist in the region
- The ONLY board-certified veterinary surgeon in the area that sees patients nights, weekends, and on emergency
- The ONLY board-certified emergency and critical care veterinarian in Suffolk
- One of the ONLY veterinarians in the state focused solely on dental services
- Patients as far away as Kitty Hawk, NC, Emporia, Richmond, and the Eastern Shore of Virginia – and everywhere in between
- Tripled the staff size - now employing over 50 highly trained team members
- Commitment to the community by participating in events such as Bark in the Park, Move Your Mutt, K9 and Kids Camp, Passion for Paws Picnic, Mutt Strutt, and many others
As a token of appreciation for the support Suffolk has provided over the years, The COVE owners, surgeon Dr. Jeff T. Stallings, cardiologist Dr. Merrilee T. Small , and hospital manager Danielle Russ, presented Mayor Johnson with a gift of a new bench for Lake Meade Dog Park. The mayor graciously accepted and then presented a Letter of Recognition to the entire team at the practice.
“When we lost our pet, my son – who is a grown man – sat in the back for a long time. You were all so kind and compassionate. Now when anyone tells me about their sick pet, I tell them to go to The COVE…it’s right around the corner,” Mayor Johnson shared. “So on behalf of the City of Suffolk, I’d like to thank you for what you do every day for our families and our community – and for being a part of us.”
About The COVE
The COVE is Suffolk’s only 24/7 emergency and specialty veterinary hospital. With over 5,000 square feet of custom-built space, world-class care is provided via a staff of expert and compassionate practitioners and board-certified specialists in Cardiology, Surgery, and Emergency/Critical Care. The COVE works as a partner with primary care veterinarians throughout the region to provide advanced care for their patients when needed.