PHILADELPHIA--(BUSINESS WIRE)--It may be early in the fall season, but PECO says now is the best time for customers to take the necessary steps to save electricity, natural gas and money this winter. By following a few simple tips and making a few easy energy efficiency improvements, customers could save 20 percent or more on their winter heating bills.
- Keep it sealed. A drafty house lets warm air escape and is much more costly to keep warm – especially during cooler weather. Use caulking around doors, windows and any openings for utility services. Locks on your windows can make them tighter and more resistant to drafts. Keep your fireplace damper closed when the fireplace is not in use.
- Upgrade your insulation. Insulating your home can significantly reduce your heating costs, while increasing the comfort of your home. Reducing air leaks – in floors, walls, ceilings, ducts, fireplaces, doors, windows and vents, and around plumbing – could cut 10 percent from an average household's monthly energy bill.
- Check ducts for air leaks. Look for joints that should be connected but have separated. Leaky ductwork can increase your utility bill significantly.
- Warm up your system. Service your heating system at the beginning of each heating season. A well-maintained system will last longer, operate more efficiently and save you money.
- Manage your thermostat. Keep thermostats set at a constant, comfortable level. You can save about 2 percent on your heating bill for every degree you lower your thermostat.
- Be prepared for cooler weather. Remove screens and air conditioners from windows and install storm windows.
- Shorter days and longer lights. Don’t forget to adjust outdoor lighting timers as the nights grow longer. Take the time to replace older incandescent bulbs with new PECO discounted energy efficient LED bulbs.
Looking for customized solutions to help you save energy and money? With a PECO energy assessment or energy audit, a PECO energy advisor will visit your home, provide a personal energy assessment and offer energy-efficient upgrades on the spot that could save you up to 20 percent on your monthly energy bill. Learn more about this and many other ways to save energy and money at peco.com/smartideas or call 1-888-5PECO-SAVE.
Based in Philadelphia, PECO is an electric and natural gas utility subsidiary of Exelon Corporation (NYSE: EXC). The company’s 2,400 dedicated employees provide advanced, innovative energy solutions to 1.6 million electric and more than 511,000 natural gas customers in southeastern Pennsylvania. In 2015 PECO delivered 86.9 billion cubic feet of natural gas and 38 billion kilowatt-hours of electricity. The company also has an estimated annual economic impact of $4.5 billion in Pennsylvania, supporting more than 9,600 local jobs and producing $760 million in labor income. Founded in 1881, PECO is one of the Greater Philadelphia Region's most active corporate citizens, providing leadership, volunteer and financial support to numerous arts and culture, education, environmental, economic development and community programs and organizations. For more information visit PECO.com, and connect with the company on Facebook and Twitter.
If you are a member of the media and would like to receive PECO news releases via email, please send your email address to PECO.Communication@exeloncorp.com.