MONTREAL--(BUSINESS WIRE)--EDF EN Canada Inc., a subsidiary of EDF Energies Nouvelles Group, and Énergie Renouvelable de La Mitis announced today that the 24.6 megawatt (MW) La Mitis Wind Project declared commercial operation on October 17, 2014. The project represents a joint-ownership undertaking formed by EDF EN Canada and Énergie Renouvelable de La Mitis, a company wholly owned by the RCM (Regional County Municipality) de La Mitis which is an association of 16 municipalities.
Located in the unorganized territory Lac-à-la-Croix in the RCM of La Mitis, administrative region of the Bas-St-Laurent, La Mitis Community Wind Project is comprised of 12 turbines supplied by Senvion. The electricity generated is delivered to Hydro-Quebec Distribution under a 20-year Power Purchase Agreement.
Énergie Renouvelable de La Mitis owns 30% of the project while EDF EN Canada holds the remaining 70%. The project created more than 150 jobs during the peak construction phase. In addition to the electricity generation’s revenues shared with the 16 municipalities, an annual financial contribution of $61,500 will be paid by the project during the 20-year operational phase to the RCM of La Mitis. The commissioning further triggers a unique contribution of $200,000 into a Community Development Fund.
According to Marcel Moreau, CEO of the RMC of La Mitis, "The wind of La Mitis now is of great importance for the economy of the region with the commercial launch of our community wind project. For 20 years, we will produce green energy that respects sustainable development and meet the needs of our society. This marks our second investment in wind energy following our involvement in the Lac Alfred Wind Project. These projects together allow municipalities to take advantage of new financial resources that they have been anticipating for a long time. A big thank you to our partner EDF EN Canada who built this park masterfully and with great collaborative trust.”
“La Mitis Wind Project holds a special place in our project portfolio. Along with the Le Granit Wind project, which was built and commissioned simultaneously, the project represents our first experience in community projects in Quebec and in Canada,” commented Al Kurzenhauser, Chief Operating Officer for EDF EN Canada. “The projects are also a practical example of our company's philosophy in action - achieving sustainable development through a harmonious public and private partnership. We look forward to many years of continued collaboration and success.”
La Mitis is one of seven wind energy projects awarded to EDF EN Canada in 2008 and 2010 through Hydro-Quebec Distribution call for tenders. It is one of three projects developed by EDF EN Canada to be held in partnership with a RCM, the other two wind projects being Le Granit (24.6 MW) and Lac Alfred (300 MW). By the end of 2015, EDF EN Canada will have placed into service 1,374 MW of wind and solar projects in Canada.
|Location||Region of Bas-St-Laurent|
|Installed Capacity||24.6 MW|
|Turbines||12 Senvion MM92 turbines|
|Power Off Taker||Hydro-Quebec Distribution|
|Peak Work Force||
More than 150 persons during peak
ABOUT EDF EN CANADA INC.:
EDF EN Canada, a subsidiary of EDF Energies Nouvelles, is a market leader in renewable energy, with more than 1,300 MW of wind and solar power facilities in service or under construction. Headquartered in Toronto and Montreal, EDF EN Canada employs an integrated approach to project development covering all aspects from conception to commissioning through to generation and long term operations. The subsidiary offers financial strength, technological innovation and an emphasis on service. EDF EN Canada draws on the market expertise of EDF Renewable Energy, EDF Energies Nouvelles' U.S. subsidiary. EDF Energies Nouvelles is 100% owned by the EDF Group. www.edf-energies-nouvelles.com www.edf-en.ca