WASHINGTON--(BUSINESS WIRE)--Navigant (NYSE: NCI) today announced the recipients of the Generation Knowledge Service (GKS®) Plant Operational Excellence Awards. The awards represent coal-fired plants that have best demonstrated excellence in cost and operational management, as well as improved performance and reliability over the most recent five year period (2009-2013).
The awards were established in 2010 and are based on detailed analysis of cost, performance and safety data from Navigant’s industry-leading GKS® database, which contains data for more than 70 percent of the U.S. electric utility generation coal fleet—representing more than 212,000 MWs of generation and more than 620 coal-fired units. The analysis of cost and performance includes a weighted comparison of non-fuel operation and maintenance costs and availability/reliability measures during the five-year evaluation period. Award winners must also demonstrate safety performance in the top half of their respective comparison groups.
“The U.S. coal fleet has been under intense pressure over the past few years – from additional regulations and the impact of variable generation and low natural gas pricing to the aging of the US coal fleet,” said Dale Probasco, Managing Director with Navigant’s Energy practice and head of the firm’s GKS® Benchmarking team. “Each of these plant operators has kept reliability levels high and costs in check, and they deserve great credit and recognition for their achievements in today’s challenging fossil generation environment.”
Even with the increased focus on clean and renewable generation, coal generation provides 40 percent of the electricity generation in the U.S. When coal plants operate with greater efficiency and reliability, they are more likely to meet the industry’s increasingly stricter emissions regulations and standards.
Eligible coal plants were divided into three classes for evaluation purposes, based on the average unit size. The top and runner-up plants for each category are:
>500 MW Average Unit Size Range (Large Unit Category)
- Top Performer: Labadie Power Station – Ameren UE
- Runner-Up: Louisa Generating Station – MidAmerican Energy
201 – 500 MW Average Unit Size Range (Medium Unit Category)
- Top Performer: Gallatin Power Station – Tennessee Valley Authority
- Runner-Up: Walter Scott Jr. Energy Center – MidAmerican Energy
<200 MW Average Unit Size Range (Small Unit Category)
- Top Performer: Kenneth C. Coleman Generating Station – Big Rivers Electric Corporation
- Runner-Up: Charles R. Lowman Power Plant – PowerSouth Energy Cooperative
As the industry continues to evolve, Navigant will be launching GKS® Operational Excellence Awards for combined cycle, hydro and wind generation. Learn more about Navigant’s GKS® Fossil, Hydro and Wind benchmarking services here. To learn more about the GKS® Plant Operational Excellence Awards, contact Dale Probasco at email@example.com or 612.868.5955.
Navigant (NYSE: NCI) is a specialized, global professional services firm dedicated to assisting clients in creating and protecting value in the face of critical business risks and opportunities. Enhanced by senior level engagement with clients, Navigant professionals provide services that extend from expert and advisory work through implementation and outsourcing. The firm combines deep technical expertise in Disputes and Investigations, Economics, Financial Advisory and Management Consulting with business pragmatism to address clients’ needs in highly regulated industries, including Construction, Energy, Financial Services and Healthcare. More information about Navigant can be found at www.navigant.com.
* The information contained in this press release concerning awards, along with any reference to any specific commercial product, process, or service by trade name, trademark, manufacturer, or otherwise, does not necessarily constitute or imply an endorsement, recommendation, or favoring by Navigant. Please refer to the contact information provided for a complete understanding of the analysis underlying the awards and the methodologies used to identify awardees. Navigant undertakes no obligation to update any of the information contained in this press release.