LOUISVILLE, Ky.--(BUSINESS WIRE)--Power management company Eaton today announced that an optimized version of its Fuller Advantage Series Automated 10-speed transmissions will be available on select PACCAR trucks with the MX-13 engine in order to maximize fuel efficiency in linehaul applications. This powertrain package is lighter in weight, provides professional drivers with smooth, automated shifting, and is designed to enhance the time spent in a diesel engine’s most efficient RPM zone to help reduce fuel consumption.
“We are excited to partner with North American truck manufacturers to deliver integrated powertrain solutions,” said Tim Sinden, president – North American Truck Operations. “Providing our fleet customers with enhanced, optimized powertrain choices such as this one with PACCAR is what Eaton believes benefits the marketplace, and we are confident this new offering will be well received by professional drivers.”
For PACCAR, the MX-13 engine will be paired with the new Eaton Fuller Advantage 10-speed transmission and available for Kenworth and Peterbilt trucks in long-haul and regional applications. By sensing the vehicle load and selecting the best shift points to match vehicle weight and road grade throttle position, this powertrain package can save up to 2 percent in fuel economy.
“The transmission is very intuitive – the optimized performance gets the absolute most out of the truck when it comes to shifting and fuel economy,” said Kurt Swihart, Kenworth marketing director.
A new Precision Lubrication system represents one of the most important upgrades in the Fuller Advantage Series. The system reduces the oil churn energy losses found in traditional transmissions by nearly 33 percent. With less heat being generated, the Fuller Advantage Series transmissions do not require a cooler and corresponding lines and fittings. The result is less preventative maintenance is required while engine fans cycle less, further reducing horsepower demand.
In addition, small-step technology enables downspeeding in overdrive and efficiency in direct drive. Optimized shifting is based on grade, vehicle weight, engine torque and throttle position.
Significant weight savings – up to 82 pounds with no sacrifice to strength – has also been achieved with the new Fuller Advantage Series transmissions. A thin-wall cast-iron main case design is complemented by the strategic use of aluminum for the shift bar housing, auxiliary section cover and range cylinder. All Fuller Advantage Series transmissions have a standard warranty of 5-years/750,000 miles. The Advantage Series clutch is warranted for 3 years/350,000 miles (563,270 km). Extended protection plans are also available.
Additional Fuller Advantage Series Automated features include:
- Error-free, automated shifting due to the use of an Electronic Clutch Actuator (ECA) which offers unprecedented performance, including gradeability and low-speed maneuverability
- Auto Neutral automatically switches into neutral once the parking brake is engaged to prevent potential movement
- Hill Start Aid which prevents roll back or roll forward. When grade exceeds 3 percent, foundation brakes hold truck for up to three seconds for a controlled launch
- Extended oil drain interval - 500,000 miles before the first scheduled transmission oil drain service, for linehaul applications rated at 80,000 lbs. or less.
- Oil level sight glass for reduced preventative maintenance downtime
- Standard eight- and six-bolt Power Take-Off (PTO) openings.
- Ten forward speeds and two reverse.
- Gross Combination Weight (GCW) ratings up to 80,000 lbs. (36,287 kg.); 110,000 lbs. (49895 kg.) pending.
- Torque capacities from 1150 (1559 Nm) to 1,850 lb./ft. (2508Nm).
All Eaton products are backed by the Roadranger network, which includes more than 200 drivetrain professionals throughout North America. For more information visit www.eaton.com/roadranger, where the latest product information is available, as well as service, parts and training assistance, 24 hours a day. Experts are available in the Roadranger Call Center by dialing 1-800-826-HELP (4357) in the U.S. and Canada. In Mexico, dial 01-800-826-4357.
Eaton is a power management company with 2013 sales of $22.0 billion. Eaton provides energy-efficient solutions that help our customers effectively manage electrical, hydraulic and mechanical power more efficiently, safely and sustainably. Eaton has approximately 102,000 employees, and sells products to customers in more than 175 countries. For more information, visit eaton.com.