SEATTLE--(BUSINESS WIRE)--(NASDAQ:AMZN) – With Valentine's Day just around the corner, Amazon.com today announced its list of the Top 20 Most Romantic Cities in the U.S.
The cities were determined by compiling sales data of romance novels and relationship books (both Kindle and print); romantic comedy movies (digital and DVDs); a collection of romantic music, including Dean Martin, Barry White, Luther Vandross, Maxwell and Miguel (CDs and MP3s); as well as the sales of sexual wellness products, among cities with more than 100,000 residents. Sales were tabulated from Jan. 1, 2013.
The Top 20 Most Romantic Cities in the U.S. are:
|1. San Antonio||11. Columbia, S.C.|
|2. Seattle||12. San Jose, Calif.|
|3. Knoxville, Tenn.||13. Murfreesboro, Tenn.|
|4. Miami||14. Round Rock, Texas|
|5. Alexandria, Va.||15. Sioux City, S.D.|
|6. Orlando, Fla.||16. Las Vegas|
|7. Vancouver, Wash.||17. Pittsburgh|
|8. Cincinnati||18. Everett, Wash.|
|9. Spokane, Wash.||19. Erie, Pa.|
|10. Dayton, Ohio||20. Clearwater, Fla.|
Some of the interesting findings in Amazon’s romantic data unveiled that:
- Love is in the air in San Antonio and Seattle! In the five years that Amazon has announced its most romantic cities, this year marks the first time ever San Antonio has made the top 20 list. It also marks the first time since 2010 that Seattle has ranked among the top 20.
- The big movers and shakers this year were San Antonio, Seattle, Spokane, Wash., San Jose and Sioux City, S.D., all of which didn’t make the top 20 list last year.
- Knoxville, Tenn., fell from its love perch after a two year reign as the most romantic city in the U.S., slipping to No. 3. But don’t worry Knoxville – you still beat out your old archrival Alexandria, Va.
- Washington State is for lovers! Four Washington cities – Seattle, Vancouver, Spokane and Everett – ranked among the top 20 most romantic cities.
- On the other end of the spectrum, San Buenaventura, Calif., New York and El Monte, Calif., need to turn up the heat. These three came in as the least romantic cities in the U.S. based on Amazon customers’ purchase habits.
- Cities that unfortunately didn’t make the list include Loveladies, N.J.; Handsome Eddy, N.Y.; Loveland, Colo.; Loving, Ky.; Valentine, Neb.; Sweet Lips, Tenn.; and Romance, W.Va.
Customers looking for a little romance can view Amazon Book Editors picks of 150 love stories and Amazon Music Editor’s picks of 50 great romantic albums for every romantic mood. From first love to love gone wrong, this list offers a dozen kinds of treats, each filled with some of their favorite romantic books and music. To see these editorial lists, visit http://www.amazon.com/150lovestories and http://www.amazon.com/50romanticalbums.
Amazon.com, Inc. (NASDAQ:AMZN), a Fortune 500 company based in Seattle, opened on the World Wide Web in July 1995 and today offers Earth’s Biggest Selection. Amazon.com, Inc. seeks to be Earth’s most customer-centric company, where customers can find and discover anything they might want to buy online, and endeavors to offer its customers the lowest possible prices. Amazon.com and other sellers offer millions of unique new, refurbished and used items in categories such as Books; Movies, Music & Games; Digital Downloads; Electronics & Computers; Home & Garden; Toys, Kids & Baby; Grocery; Apparel, Shoes & Jewelry; Health & Beauty; Sports & Outdoors; and Tools, Auto & Industrial. Amazon Web Services provides Amazon’s developer customers with access to in-the-cloud infrastructure services based on Amazon’s own back-end technology platform, which developers can use to enable virtually any type of business. Kindle Paperwhite is the world’s best-selling and most advanced e-reader. It features new display technology with higher contrast, the next generation built-in light, a faster processor, the latest touch technology, and exclusive new features designed from the ground up for readers. Kindle, the lightest and smallest Kindle, features improved fonts and faster page turns. The new Kindle Fire HDX features a stunning exclusive 7” or 8.9” HDX display, a quad-core 2.2 GHz processor, 2x more memory, and 11 hours of battery life, as well as exclusive new features of Fire OS 3.0 including X-Ray for Music, Second Screen, Prime Instant Video downloads, and the revolutionary new Mayday button. The all-new Kindle Fire HD includes an HD display, high-performance processor and dual speakers at a breakthrough price.
Amazon and its affiliates operate websites, including www.amazon.com, www.amazon.co.uk, www.amazon.de, www.amazon.co.jp, www.amazon.fr, www.amazon.ca, www.amazon.cn, www.amazon.it, www.amazon.es, www.amazon.com.br, www.amazon.in, www.amazon.com.mx, and www.amazon.com.au. As used herein, “Amazon.com,” “we,” “our” and similar terms include Amazon.com, Inc., and its subsidiaries, unless the context indicates otherwise.
This announcement contains forward-looking statements within the meaning of Section 27A of the Securities Act of 1933 and Section 21E of the Securities Exchange Act of 1934. Actual results may differ significantly from management’s expectations. These forward-looking statements involve risks and uncertainties that include, among others, risks related to competition, management of growth, new products, services and technologies, potential fluctuations in operating results, international expansion, outcomes of legal proceedings and claims, fulfillment and data center optimization, seasonality, commercial agreements, acquisitions and strategic transactions, foreign exchange rates, system interruption, inventory, government regulation and taxation, payments and fraud. More information about factors that potentially could affect Amazon.com’s financial results is included in Amazon.com’s filings with the Securities and Exchange Commission, including its most recent Annual Report on Form 10-K and subsequent filings.