LOUISVILLE, Ky.--(BUSINESS WIRE)--Humana Inc. (NYSE: HUM), one of the nation’s leading health care companies, announced today that it has once again achieved strong Medicare Stars Quality Ratings for its Medicare Advantage (MA) plans. The star ratings were posted at www.medicare.gov.
These Humana MA plans, available to Medicare beneficiaries during the Medicare Annual Election Period (AEP), which began on Oct. 15 and runs through Dec. 7, will take effect on January 1, 2014. In addition, many Humana MA plans that will be available in 2014 have higher Medicare Stars quality ratings than in years past:
- Humana has 18 MA plans that achieved a rating of 4.0 stars or greater, a 50 percent increase in the number of 4.0 or greater rated plans from the previous year
- 55% of 2013 Humana MA Membership is participating in 2014 plans rated 4.0 stars or greater
- Humana is offering nine MA plans that achieved a 4.5 star rating.
Humana MA HMO plans in Florida, Mississippi, North Carolina and Oregon were once again rated 4.5 stars.
“The Medicare Stars quality ratings assigned to Humana’s plans reflect our commitment to timely customer service, helping our members to complete preventive screenings and working with health care professionals to improve patient safety, health and satisfaction,” said Tom Liston, President of Humana’s Retail Segment. “We’re proud that this year’s stars ratings have exceeded our past standards for quality and service as we continue to focus on improving our members’ experience.”
Listed below is a breakdown of Humana’s 4.0 and 4.5 star rated plans:
Humana 4.5 Star Rated Plans
- H1019 CarePlus Health Plans, Inc (Florida HMO)
- H1036 Humana Medical Plan, Inc (Florida, Mississippi, North Carolina and Oregon HMOs)
- H1468 Humana Benefit Plan of Illinois, Inc. (Illinois HMO)
- H2649 Humana Health Plan, Inc (Arizona, Kansas, Missouri and New Mexico HMOs)
- H4461 Cariten Health Plan, Inc. (Tennessee HMO)
- H5216 Humana Insurance Company (Michigan and Wisconsin PPOs)
- H5525 Humana Benefit Plan of Illinois, Inc. (Illinois and Pennsylvania PPOs)
- H6609 Humana Insurance Company (Central-north PPO)
- H6622 Humana Wisconsin Health Organization Insurance Corporation (Wisconsin HMO)
Humana 4.0 Star Rated Plans
- H1406 Humana Health Plan, Inc (Illinois HMO)
- H1418 Humana Insurance Company (Illinois PPO)
- H1510 Humana Insurance Company (Indiana PPO)
- H1716 Humana Insurance Company (Kansas and Missouri PPOs)
- H1951 Humana Health Benefit Plan of Louisiana, Inc. (Louisiana HMO)
- H2949 Humana Health Plan, Inc. (Nevada HMO)
- H5415 Humana Health Insurance Company of Florida, Inc. (Florida PPO)
- H5868 Humana Insurance Company (Colorado and Iowa PPOs)
- H8145 Humana Insurance Company (National PFFS)
Medicare beneficiaries may select their Medicare coverage for 2014 during the Medicare AEP, and Medicare star ratings are available to help people with Medicare shop for MA plans.
The Medicare Stars Quality Rating system rates the excellence of Medicare plans nationally. The ratings help people compare plans based on quality and performance. A plan may receive a rating between one and five stars, with five stars representing the highest rating. Star ratings are calculated each year and may change from one year to the next.
The Centers for Medicare & Medicaid Services (CMS) uses information from member-satisfaction surveys, health plans, and health care providers to give overall star ratings to plans. The rating system uses more than 50 different quality measures in five categories, including:
- Staying healthy via preventive services
- Managing chronic conditions, such as diabetes and high blood pressure
- Evaluations of a plan’s responsiveness and service
- Complaints, appeals and voluntary disenrollments
- Assessments of the quality of customer service
For more information about Humana’s 2014 Medicare offerings, visit www.humana-medicare.com or call toll free 1-800-899-0441 (TTY: 711). Hours are 8 a.m. to 8 p.m., EDT, seven days a week.
Additional Medicare stars rating information is available at www.medicare.gov.
Humana Inc., headquartered in Louisville, Ky., is a leading health care company that offers a wide range of insurance products and health and wellness services that incorporate an integrated approach to lifelong well-being. By leveraging the strengths of its core businesses, Humana believes it can better explore opportunities for existing and emerging adjacencies in health care that can further enhance wellness opportunities for the millions of people across the nation with whom the company has relationships.
More information regarding Humana is available to investors via the Investor Relations page of the company’s web site at www.humana.com, including copies of:
- Annual reports to stockholders;
- Securities and Exchange Commission filings;
- Most recent investor conference presentations;
- Quarterly earnings news releases;
- Replays of most recent earnings release conference calls;
- Calendar of events (including upcoming earnings conference call dates and times, as well as planned interaction with research analysts and institutional investors);
- Corporate Governance information.