LOUISVILLE, Ky.--(BUSINESS WIRE)--With a U.S. Supreme Court ruling on the Affordable Care Act – also known as the federal health care reform law – expected later this month, Humana Inc. (NYSE: HUM) issued the following statement:
Humana has long said that all Americans deserve affordable, quality health care and that our nation needs a health care system that works for everyone. Regardless of how the U.S. Supreme Court rules on the federal health care reform law, Humana is committed to keeping in place important patient protections contained in the law, including health care reform’s restrictions on lifetime limits, rescission standards, appeals and external review processes, coverage for dependents on family plans to age 26, and preventive services with no cost sharing.
Humana believes its health plan members should have the peace of mind of knowing the company embraces and will maintain these common-sense provisions that add stability and security to health care coverage.
Specifically, Humana will maintain these health care reform provisions:
- Humana will not impose lifetime dollar limits on policies. Humana believes that health plan members should not have to worry that their coverage might run out when they need it most.
- Humana will maintain the health care reform law’s rescission standard for its individual insurance policies. The company will not rescind (retroactively cancel) individual health insurance policies except in cases of fraud or intentional misrepresentation of material facts by an applicant for insurance. Humana has long believed that when you buy an individual health plan, you should not have to worry that it might be cancelled. Individuals whose policies are rescinded will continue to have available independent third party review of the rescission decision.
- Humana will continue to provide a clear and simple process for appealing claims decisions, as well as the option for health plan members to have their cases reviewed by independent review organizations. Humana believes in providing a clear, timely and accessible avenue for health plan members to appeal and resolve disagreements.
- Humana members will continue to receive important preventive care services with no out-of-pocket cost sharing. Humana believes preventive care is a valuable investment in the health and well-being of its members.
- Humana will continue to permit dependent family members to remain covered on their parents’ policies up to age 26. Humana has long believed in giving families the coverage options they need and deserve.
Humana’s pledge to preserve these protections applies to its fully insured commercial health insurance policies. The company will also work with its employer clients that self-insure their health benefits to emphasize the importance of the continuity of policies and coverage.
Humana Inc., headquartered in Louisville, Kentucky, is a leading health care company that offers a wide range of insurance products and health and wellness services that incorporate an integrated approach to lifelong well-being. By leveraging the strengths of its core businesses, Humana believes it can better explore opportunities for existing and emerging adjacencies in health care that can further enhance wellness opportunities for the millions of people across the nation with whom the company has relationships.
More information regarding Humana is available to investors via the Investor Relations page of the company’s web site at www.humana.com, including copies of:
- Annual reports to stockholders
- Securities and Exchange Commission filings
- Most recent investor conference presentations
- Quarterly earnings news releases
- Replays of most recent earnings release conference calls
- Calendar of events (including upcoming earnings conference call dates and times, as well as planned interaction with research analysts and institutional investors)
- Corporate Governance information