Mood Lifts for Medtech in First Half of 2014 While Pharma Sector Faces New Struggles
EP Vantage Releases New Half Year Reviews for the Pharma and Medtech Industries
LONDON & BOSTON & TOKYO--(BUSINESS WIRE)--An M&A frenzy that accounted for nearly $90 billion of equity set the pace for the first half of 2014 in the pharma and biotech sectors, but a slowdown in IPOs and six months of volatile market activity could tarnish the year’s shimmering start. Meanwhile, skies appear to have brightened for the medtech sector as improvements, largely fueled by multibillion-dollar deals, occurred across the board.
“The most important turnaround for the medtech sector comes in the form of mega-mergers and acquisitions”
Pharma 2014 Half-Year Review Highlights
- IPOs peaked in the first quarter at $2.1 billion, but fell back to $913 million by the end of the first half
- Companies raised more than $3 billion in venture capital in the first six months, putting the sector on track to exceed the $5.9 billion raised for the whole of 2007
- The first seven months of 2014 saw the FDA approve 27 novel agents, which are forecast to generate $7 billion in US sales over the next five years
“It’s hard to predict which direction the second half of the year will go and whether controversies over drug pricing and M&A migration overseas mean a rocky road ahead,” said Jonathan Gardner, the report’s author. “Though some investors have questioned the sustainability of the biotech bull market, we’re able to find a small amount of comfort knowing that at least for now, the NASDAQ index stands at more than two and a half times its previous peak in 2000.”
The full version of the Pharma 2014 Half -Year Review can be downloaded at www.evaluategroup.com/PharmaHalfYearReview2014.
Medtech 2014 Half-Year Review Highlights
- The combined value of acquisitions reached $27.2 billion during the first half of the year, surpassing the full-year total for 2013 with an increase of more than 40 percent
- Second quarter venture capital deals rose 33 percent over the first quarter, exceeding the billion-dollar mark for the first time since the second quarter of 2013
- The FDA awarded 17 first-time PMAs in the first half of 2014, nearly double the nine awarded in the first half of 2013. Moreover, the devices have been assessed almost twice as fast as the same period last year
“The most important turnaround for the medtech sector comes in the form of mega-mergers and acquisitions,” said Elizabeth Cairns, author of the report. “Whether this is the beginning of a recovery or the only way companies can seek growth in an industry that is still facing a lot of pricing pushback from payers and patients is not yet clear.”
The full version of the Medtech 2014 Half-Year Review report can be downloaded at www.evaluategroup.com/MedtechHalfYearReview2014.
About Evaluate Ltd.
Evaluate is the trusted source for life science market intelligence and analysis with exclusive consensus forecasts to 2020. Our services include EvaluatePharma, EvaluateClinical Trials and EvaluateMedTech. Our award-winning editorial team, EP Vantage, leverages our strategic analysis to cut through the noise, giving you daily opinion and insights. The Evaluate services enable the life science community to make sound business decisions about value and opportunity. For more information please visit www.evaluategroup.com. On Twitter: @evaluatepharma, @evaluatemedtech, @epclinicaltrial, @epvantage.