Inter Valley Health Plan Celebrates 35 Years in Business
Pomona-based Non-Profit Medicare Health Plan Continues to Make Community Impact and Takes Looks Back at Medicare Over Three Decades
POMONA, Calif.--(BUSINESS WIRE)--From the bell bottoms and disco era of the 70’s to the digital world of today, Inter Valley Health Plan (www.IVHP.com), a Pomona-based not-for-profit, federally qualified, Medicare Advantage health plan celebrates 35 years providing highly personalized Medicare Advantage health plans to meet the distinct needs of older adults in the Southern California community.
“It’s those Medicare milestones that have given us the opportunity to make a strong impact on the health and vitality of older adults and allowed the company to sustain success in the Southern California community”
“Over the last three decades, Inter Valley has been present for not only momentous changes in history but also the evolving healthcare climate,” says Ronald Bolding, president, chief executive officer, Inter Valley Health Plan. “The changes in today’s Medicare landscape have made our community-driven personal approach to Medicare even more important. It’s critical that we continue to understand the needs of the older adult population and provide them with educational tools and resources so they can make the best decision right for them and their health - the same way Inter Valley has been doing it for 35 years.”
Medicare has come a long way since President Johnson signed the Medicare program into law in 1965. Now for Inter Valley’s 35th anniversary, and one year shy of Medicare’s 50th anniversary, Inter Valley looks back at Medicare history and acknowledges key milestones. “It’s those Medicare milestones that have given us the opportunity to make a strong impact on the health and vitality of older adults and allowed the company to sustain success in the Southern California community,” notes Bolding.
Here are some of those Medicare and Inter Valley Health Plan milestones:
- 1965: With former President Harry S. Truman at his side, President Lyndon B. Johnson signs the Medicare bill into law.
- 1966: Medicare, authorized by the Social Security Act, offered health insurance to almost all Americans age 65 or older.
- 1970: 20.4 million older Americans were enrolled in Medicare.
- 1979: Inter Valley began enrolling members for the first time. There were 3 employees and 1575 members.
- 1982: Medicare begins contracting with HMOs on a risk-basis.
- 1986: Inter Valley had 75 employees.
- 1998: www.medicare.gov launched to provide updated information about Medicare on the Internet.
- 1991: Inter Valley expanded its service area to the High Desert and added eight more hospitals and physician groups.
- 1995/1996: Inter Valley expanded to most of Southern California to include Los Angeles, Ventura, San Bernardino, and Riverside County.
- 2000: Medicare served 39 million seniors and disabled Americans.
- 2010: President Barack Obama passes Health Care Reform legislation into law. Medicare recipients can receive new protections and benefits under the new law that strengthen Medicare and provide more coverage.
- 2014: Inter Valley has 20,881 members, 117 Employees and 11 Medicare and Information Centers across Southern California stretching from Los Angeles to Orange County to Palm Springs, Riverside, Hemet, Victorville, Temecula, and virtually every city and town in between.
“After nearly 20 years with Inter Valley, I could not be more proud of where we are today,” says Cyndie O’Brien, vice president, sales, marketing and member service, Inter Valley Health Plan. “I have seen the company adapt to the changes and come out strong, always with the community’s best interest as its sole mission.”
For more information regarding Inter Valley’s Medicare Advantage Plans, visit www.IVHP.com.
About Inter Valley Health Plan
Inter Valley Health Plan is a not-for-profit, federally qualified, HMO contracted with Medicare and dedicated to providing the best value in senior health care coverage. Headquartered in Pomona, Calif., Inter Valley Health Plan strives to improve the quality of life for seniors throughout its service area and is one of the oldest managed care plans in Southern California with 35 years in business. Entrusted by 20,881 individuals stretching from Los Angeles to Orange County to Palm Springs, Riverside, Hemet, Victorville, Temecula, and virtually every city and town in between, Inter Valley Health Plan is dedicated to keeping its members healthy and strong, while maintaining non-profit and real service values. For more information, please visit www.IVHP.com or call Cyndie O’Brien, VP Marketing & Communications, (909) 623-6333. Also, please become a fan of us on Facebook at www.Facebook.com/InterValley.