Arcadia Congratulates Client Carlos Olivares, CEO Visionary of the Year
CEO of Yakima Valley Farm Workers Clinic wins Health Data Management award for visionary leadership with full-scale clinical transformation and managed analytics program
BURLINGTON, Mass.--(BUSINESS WIRE)--Arcadia Healthcare Solutions, a leading provider of data-driven quality improvement solutions for health systems and health plans, is pleased to announce that longtime client, Carlos Olivares, Chief Executive Officer of the Yakima Valley Farm Workers Clinic (YVFWC) has been named CEO Visionary of the Year by Health Data Management (HDM). HDM’s inaugural Analytics All Stars program recognizes organizations and individuals implementing analytics in innovative ways to improve the health of their patients and the financial performance of their organizations. The Analytics All Stars program showcases those providing pioneering leadership, spurring innovation and driving improvement across their organizations. The recognition program reviewed projects and achievements from the 2013 calendar year and is built upon the themes of HDM’s Healthcare Analytics Symposium and Expo, being held July 14-16 in Chicago.
“This honor is well deserved. It is a testament not only to Carlos as an executive leader, but to the team of caregivers and leaders he has assembled at Yakima.”
Yakima Valley Farm Workers Clinic (YVFWC) has been an innovation driver in the Pacific Northwest for more than 30 years. Innovation led by CEO Carlos Olivares has fueled rapid growth for the organization, with YVFWC now serving more than 125,000 patients across rural Washington and Oregon as a managed care powerhouse. By developing robust analytical tools, implementing strong data-driven change methodologies and transforming the care delivery process to leverage the tremendous data available in the community, YVFWC is a leading force in an era of national healthcare reform.
While many organizations were hesitant to invest in the managed care market, Olivares was aggressively pursuing strategies to ensure strong financial outcomes for YVFWC, while also maximizing quality care for its patients. To make this a reality, Olivares has built one of the most robust and capable data-driven ambulatory care systems anywhere in the country. “We cannot continue to ask our providers to work harder, see more patients, document more and improve patient care. We need to tap into our data to help them make the right patient care decisions, faster, and with greater accuracy,” said Olivares.
Over the past two years, Olivares has invested heavily into foundational data infrastructure and analytics systems, but has done so intelligently and aggressively:
- YVFWC built a robust data warehouse with information from more than 10 sources, including claims, EHR, hospital information systems, financial general ledger, HR systems and operational data
- YVFWC developed a comprehensive set of clinical reporting that integrates directly into the care delivery workflow and is used by care teams on a daily basis to make care decisions using benchmarks, evidence-based guidelines and organizational standards
- YVFWC outsourced informatics and brought in outside experts who could interpret the vast data and develop comprehensive improvement plans based on data-driven insights
- YVFWC invested into a full-scale clinical transformation across its 17 care delivery sites, implementing a patient-centered model of care and setting up data-driven outreach and care planning faculties in the organization
- YVFWC drove the purchase of managed care analytics that informed the organization of contract and financial performance, opportunities for revenue capture and revenue optimization, as well as cost savings opportunities that would improve outcomes on risk contracts
- YVFWC aggressively moved patients into at-risk contracts that would allow YVFWC to keep upside gains for managing the patient population effectively
- YVFWC used data to target outreach under Medicaid Expansion (AppleCare in Washington State), with a net gain in enrollment of more than 25,000 newly covered patients in risk-based performance contracts in 2013/2014 YTD
“Carlos Olivares is the type of CEO required to make healthcare reform a reality – driven to use data as the foundation for change, willing to take on risk to drive that change and always putting the well-being of his care teams and patients first,” said Todd Levin, Regional Vice President for Arcadia Healthcare Solutions. “This honor is well deserved. It is a testament not only to Carlos as an executive leader, but to the team of caregivers and leaders he has assembled at Yakima.”
About Yakima Valley Farm Workers Clinic
The Yakima Valley Farm Workers Clinic is a nonprofit 501(c)(3) organization that provides comprehensive medical, dental, and social services for more than 131,000 people throughout the Pacific Northwest. Yakima Valley Farm Workers Clinic employs 1,390 full-time staff and more than 600 part-time staff, medical residents, dental residents, students and volunteers. Facilities: 19 medical clinics, 10 dental clinics, 14 programs. Locations: Washington State clinics are located in Grandview, Prosser, Pasco, Spokane, Sunnyside, Toppenish, Yakima, Walla Walla and Wapato. In Oregon, clinics are located in Hermiston, Portland, Salem and Woodburn. Visit: www.yvfwc.org.
About Health Data Management
For more than 14 years, Health Data Management has been the leading source for news and in-depth analysis on using information technology to achieve business goals and improve the quality of care; a trusted resource for the critical knowledge that senior executives need to make the right decisions in a highly competitive market. The only I.T. magazine in the field written exclusively by a team of experienced journalists, Health Data Management has captured numerous awards for journalistic excellence. Health Data Management helps senior executives at hospitals, integrated delivery systems, group practices and payer organizations make the most of health information technology, covering the subjects that matter most. For more information, visit: http://www.healthdatamanagement.com/about/.
About Arcadia Healthcare Solutions
Founded in 2002 and headquartered outside Boston, with offices in New York, Seattle, and Nashville, Arcadia Healthcare Solutions is an innovative and nationally recognized leader in the healthcare technology and services industry. Arcadia provides services and technology for EHR Outsourcing and Consulting; Data Integration and Population Analytics; and Care Delivery Transformation and Coaching. With a focus on both healthcare provider and payer solutions, Arcadia has a unique cross-industry perspective on using data to drive healthcare transformation. For more information, visit www.arcadiasolutions.com.