WASHINGTON--(BUSINESS WIRE)--The Biotechnology Innovation Organization announced today that the head of the United States Food and Drug Administration, Dr. Scott Gottlieb, will be the keynote speaker at the BIO Patient and Health Advocacy Summit, October 2-3 at the Mayflower Hotel in Washington, DC. The annual event brings together attendees representing patient advocacy groups, health care providers, academia, government, think tanks, professional societies and the biotechnology industry and provides a forum for lively discussions on timely health policy issues and best practices.
“Dr. Gottlieb’s perspective on drug regulation is shaped by his background as a patient, a physician and as a biopharmaceutical advisor,” noted BIO President and CEO, Jim Greenwood. “His practical experience as a hospital physician and his many years in government overseeing how drugs are reviewed, tested and approved will inform his tenure at the FDA. We look forward to hearing about his approach to the FDA, particularly how the patient perspective will be incorporated into a science-based approval process.”
The Summit will also offer workshops and panel sessions that explore the role of patients in drug development. On Monday, the “Pre-Summit Workshop” will be a hands-on interactive exercise, engaging participants in the intricacies of determining the value of a new medicine. Attendees will have the opportunity to vote on and discuss the key questions that must be considered when investing in a new therapy and bringing it to market.
A first for the summit, the “Personalized Medicine Workshop” will close out the event on Tuesday, Oct. 3. This workshop will offer a unique opportunity for patient groups to engage with other stakeholders to learn more about this emerging field of medicine that aims to get the right treatment to the right patient at the right time.
Other program elements include:
- A luncheon round table discussion. Table hosts will help steer the conversation on selected topics to engage the various stakeholder groups in attendance.
- Educational panels will be held on patient-centric clinical trials, planning a Patient-Focused Drug Development (PFDD) meeting, best practices in state advocacy and the science of caregiving.
- One-on-One Partnering™. New this year, the BIO partnering program will allow attendees to search and identify potential partners and request meetings. The system will then schedule the meetings prior to the event, making planning easy and accessible.
- Monday evening networking event will be hosted at the Teddy and the Bully Bar.
The full program and speaker lineup may be found here. Join and follow the conversation around the Summit on Twitter with #BIOSummit17.
The BIO Patient and Health Advocacy Summit is possible thanks to the generous support of our sponsors, including:
- Champion Sponsors – Astellas, Biogen, Bristol-Myers Squibb, Eli Lilly and Company, and Shire
- Ally Sponsors – Alkermes, and Amgen
- Advocate Sponsors – Pfizer, and Vertex
BIO is the world's largest trade association representing biotechnology companies, academic institutions, state biotechnology centers and related organizations across the United States and in more than 30 other nations. BIO members are involved in the research and development of innovative healthcare, agricultural, industrial and environmental biotechnology products. BIO also produces the BIO International Convention, the world’s largest gathering of the biotechnology industry, along with industry-leading investor and partnering meetings held around the world. BIOtechNOW is BIO's blog chronicling “innovations transforming our world” and the BIO Newsletter is the organization’s bi-weekly email newsletter. Subscribe to the BIO Newsletter.
Upcoming BIO Events
Patient and Health Advocacy Summit
October 2-3, 2017
October 18-19, 2017
One-on-One Partnering™ @ JPM
January 7-11, 2018
CEO & Investor Conference
February 12-13, 2018
New York, New York
Asia International Conference
March 19-20, 2018