RALEIGH, N.C.--(BUSINESS WIRE)--Red Hat, Inc. (NYSE: RHT), the world's leading provider of open source solutions, today announced the general availability of Red Hat OpenShift Container Platform 3.6, the latest version of Red Hat’s enterprise-grade Kubernetes container application platform. Organizations across the globe, like Copel Telecom, are turning towards cloud-native applications as a pathway to digital transformation, but critical IT needs like greater application security, compliance and service consistency must still be answered. Red Hat OpenShift Container Platform 3.6 helps to address these challenges with a new PCI-DSS applicability guide and fine-grained network policy and control, as well as the introduction of new features designed to deliver consistent applications across hybrid and multi-cloud deployments.
Red Hat OpenShift Container Platform 3.6 offers an enterprise-ready container platform based on Kubernetes 1.6, Red Hat Enterprise Linux and the integrated docker container runtime. By combining these open source technologies, Red Hat, as a leading contributor to both the docker and Kubernetes projects, helps customers to more quickly roll out new services with the support of a stable, reliable and more secure enterprise container solution powered by the world’s leading enterprise Linux platform.
Greater security and compliance
Modern, cloud-native applications require the same level and sensitivity to security as traditional applications, regardless of the broader innovation that they present. To help enterprises drive more secure operations at both the container and the host operating system level, Red Hat OpenShift Container Platform 3.6 introduces several new and enhanced features designed to further extend enterprise security and compliance procedures including:
- A PCI DSS product applicability guide, which helps organizations that accept, process, store or transmit credit card information understand how the Payment Card Industry Data Security Standard (PCI DSS) impacts Red Hat OpenShift Container Platform and understand what considerations they should make in adopting the solution
- Secrets encryption and image signing allows for the encryption of secrets at rest in backend storage. OpenShift 3.6 offers an ability for platform administrators to enforce signature usage on image content in projects, helping to provide greater assurance that the software tenants running on specific systems is actually allowed to run there.
- Enhancements to NetworkPolicy (Technology Preview) for greater and more nuanced control for how applications can talk to each other and what network resources they expose. NetworkPolicy enables users to make services available while limiting who can access a given application on the network.
Consistency for hybrid and multi-cloud footprints
The enterprise mix of public and private cloud services and physical resources is not static, as it evolves frequently to meet business need and new customer demands. Running cloud-native applications across these footprints requires consistency - these applications are built from services, which must be accessible across a wide variety of platforms. Red Hat OpenShift Container Platform 3.6 is helping to make these services findable and consumable through the introduction of:
- Service Broker and Service Catalog (Technology Preview) helps users to search for, provision and bind application services to their OpenShift applications, whether those services run in their data center or public cloud.
- OpenShift Template Broker (Technology Preview) enables users to select OpenShift Templates through the new Service Catalog user interface, to deploy multi-container application services in OpenShift.
- Ansible Playbook Broker (Technology Preview) enables the use of Ansible Playbooks for deploying application services on OpenShift and to help bind applications together, regardless of whether the services come from within the OpenShift cluster or elsewhere, including the public cloud.
- Integrated install of Container Native Storage built with Red Hat Gluster Storage delivers highly available, three way replicated storage for the OpenShift registry as well as ready-to-consume persistent storage on initial installation of OpenShift.
Red Hat OpenShift Container Platform 3.6 is available now via the Red Hat Customer Portal.
Ashesh Badani, vice president and general manager, OpenShift, Red Hat
“Cloud-native applications are not immune from the ‘mundane’ needs of traditional applications, including greater security and compliance, and face an additional challenge in providing a consistent developer experience across cloud footprints. The latest version of Red Hat OpenShift Container Platform adds new tools and resources to help meet security and compliance needs, including network controls for detailed control of networked resources, along with the emerging capability to deliver services across cloud offerings consistently.”
Nilceu Romero Silva, CIO, Copel Telecom
“OpenShift gives us a flexible, automated platform to increase application control and management. It facilitates the tracking of resources used and the costs related to each department, and also helps to accelerate the delivery of applications. With Red Hat, we built a development and production environments that can handle even the most critical application, with higher availability and lower operational costs. Now, we currently plan to migrate 100 percent of our applications and have all new applications developed in our Red Hat OpenShift and Red Hat JBoss Enterprise Application Platform (JBoss EAP) infrastructure.”
- Read more about Red Hat OpenShift Container Platform 3.6 on the OpenShift Blog
- Learn more about Container Native Storage
- Sign up for OpenShift Online
- Learn more about Red Hat OpenShift Container Platform with the OpenShift Interactive Learning Portal
Connect with Red Hat
- Learn more about Red Hat
- Get more news in the Red Hat newsroom
- Read the Red Hat blog
- Follow Red Hat on Twitter
- Join Red Hat on Facebook
- Watch Red Hat videos on YouTube
- Join Red Hat on Google+
- Follow Red Hat on LinkedIn
About Red Hat, Inc.
Red Hat is the world's leading provider of open source software solutions, using a community-powered approach to provide reliable and high-performing cloud, Linux, middleware, storage and virtualization technologies. Red Hat also offers award-winning support, training, and consulting services. As a connective hub in a global network of enterprises, partners, and open source communities, Red Hat helps create relevant, innovative technologies that liberate resources for growth and prepare customers for the future of IT. Learn more at http://www.redhat.com.
Certain statements contained in this press release may constitute "forward-looking statements" within the meaning of the Private Securities Litigation Reform Act of 1995. Forward-looking statements provide current expectations of future events based on certain assumptions and include any statement that does not directly relate to any historical or current fact. Actual results may differ materially from those indicated by such forward-looking statements as a result of various important factors, including: risks related to the ability of the Company to compete effectively; the ability to deliver and stimulate demand for new products and technological innovations on a timely basis; delays or reductions in information technology spending; the integration of acquisitions and the ability to market successfully acquired technologies and products; fluctuations in exchange rates; the effects of industry consolidation; uncertainty and adverse results in litigation and related settlements; the inability to adequately protect Company intellectual property and the potential for infringement or breach of license claims of or relating to third party intellectual property; risks related to data and information security vulnerabilities; changes in and a dependence on key personnel; the ability to meet financial and operational challenges encountered in our international operations; and ineffective management of, and control over, the Company's growth and international operations, as well as other factors contained in our most recent Quarterly Report on Form 10-Q (copies of which may be accessed through the Securities and Exchange Commission's website at http://www.sec.gov), including those found therein under the captions "Risk Factors" and "Management's Discussion and Analysis of Financial Condition and Results of Operations". In addition to these factors, actual future performance, outcomes, and results may differ materially because of more general factors including (without limitation) general industry and market conditions and growth rates, economic and political conditions, governmental and public policy changes and the impact of natural disasters such as earthquakes and floods. The forward-looking statements included in this press release represent the Company's views as of the date of this press release and these views could change. However, while the Company may elect to update these forward-looking statements at some point in the future, the Company specifically disclaims any obligation to do so. These forward-looking statements should not be relied upon as representing the Company's views as of any date subsequent to the date of this press release.
Red Hat, Red Hat Enterprise Linux, the Shadowman logo, Ansible, Gluster and OpenShift are trademarks or registered trademarks of Red Hat, Inc. or its subsidiaries in the U.S. and other countries. Linux® is the registered trademark of Linus Torvalds in the U.S. and other countries.