BURLINGTON, Mass.--(BUSINESS WIRE)--Edgewise Networks, the first provider of Trusted Application Networking to secure the modern data center and cloud, emerges today from stealth. Edgewise provides a fresh perspective on network security which transcends limitations of available address-centric controls — to protect where firewalls fail.
Founded by Peter Smith, cybersecurity entrepreneur, and Harry Sverdlove, former CTO of Carbon Black (formerly Bit9), Edgewise Networks offers a new approach that prevents compromise and attack progression of network-borne threats by allowing only trusted applications to communicate over approved network paths. Edgewise secures critical business applications running in the cloud and data center by eliminating 98% of network attack surface and protecting the rest.
Trusted Application Networking allows network communications based on the trustworthiness of communicating application software. This fundamentally new technology is the first of its kind to embrace the zero-trust networking model. It works by looking beyond network addresses, instead validating the secure identity of applications, users, and hosts controlling the addresses.
John Arsneault, CIO of Goulston & Storrs, said, “While firewalls are vital to any security strategy, address-centric controls expose many security gaps while making policy management more complex. Edgewise’s revolutionary security product for Trusted Application Networking enables Goulston & Storrs’ IT organization to protect our most valuable asset — our client’s data — simply and effectively.”
In addition to investment from top New England venture capital firms .406 Ventures, Accomplice, and Pillar, Edgewise Networks is backed by some of the most successful cybersecurity CEOs in the industry, including Patrick Morley, CEO of Carbon Black; Omar Hussain, former CEO of Imprivata; Brian Ahern, CEO of Threat Stack; and Bob Brennan, CEO of Veracode. This groundswell of investment and industry support is propelling Edgewise Networks to the forefront of network security.
“With modern application architectures becoming more complex and attacks becoming increasingly sophisticated, today’s address-centric firewalls are no longer adequate,” said Peter Smith, CEO of Edgewise Networks. “We need to look beyond traditional network constructs to focus instead on protecting applications. At Edgewise, we’ve reimagined network security with Trusted Application Networking, which removes the need for address-centric controls and simplifies network security.”
With Edgewise Networks, security teams will truly enable business agility and velocity, while protecting mission-critical cloud and datacenter applications:
- Protects Applications Simply: Edgewise extends the zero-trust networking model by ensuring that only trusted applications communicate, unlike firewalls which cannot positively identify communicating software. Trusted Application Networking prevents malicious actors from propagating through internal networks and compromising business applications.
- Builds Accurate Policies Automatically: Edgewise uses machine learning to model application communication patterns and generate optimal protection policies for the business. In contrast to address-centric micro-segmentation, the Edgewise policy engine generates the smallest policy set to provide the broadest protection. Tens of thousands of policies now compress to a recommended handful to reduce complexity without compromising security.
- Simplifies Policy Enforcement: Edgewise protects applications with one click on the application flow diagram. Even non-experts can apply protection with no knowledge of application architecture or experience in building policies. For experts who need advanced flexibility, the application-centric policies are described in natural language, making enforcement fast and intuitive.
- Reveals Risk, Recommends Protection: Edgewise measures the visible network attack surface, quantifies risk exposure, and recommends policies to maximize protection. Each policy is modeled to show risk reduction, enabling organizations to prioritize where protection is needed.
- Enables Business Agility: Edgewise protects application services regardless of where they are deployed — on-premises or in the cloud. Edgewise policies, unlike firewalls, adapt to application changes by remaining independent of network constructs to provide the agility required by modern applications.
“Peter and Harry have the ideal and very rare blend of vision, experience and drive that we look for in entrepreneurs to address the large and complex problem of securing cloud and data center networks. Edgewise’s patent-pending technology — Trusted Application Networking — goes beyond today’s network security models to provide radically new and simpler protection for the cloud and data center,” said Maria Cirino, Co-Founder and Managing Partner, .406 Ventures.
“We are thrilled to partner with Peter and Harry as they fill a void in the network security market to protect applications in the cloud and data center, where existing firewall technology lacks visibility and control. In addition to creating an outstanding security company, they are advancing a thriving community of technology startups in the Boston region,” said Jeff Fagnan, Founder and General Partner, Accomplice.
“As soon as Pillar met Peter and Harry, we knew they were onto something that could totally change the face of enterprise security. Together, they have decades of industry experience, but manage to remain unencumbered by traditional thinking. Edgewise approaches enterprise security from an entirely new angle, taking a Trusted Application Networking approach, something no other company is poised to do as well,” said Jamie Goldstein, Founder & Partner, Pillar.
- Sign up for a private beta here.
- Attend an exclusive book signing at Black Hat 2017 to receive an autographed copy of O’Reilly’s Zero-Trust Networks and meet authors Evan Gilman and Doug Barth. Reserve your limited edition book now.
About Edgewise Networks:
Edgewise Networks is the first company to provide Trusted Application Networking for the cloud and data center to protect where firewalls fail. Edgewise prevents progression of network-borne threats by allowing only trusted applications to communicate over approved network paths. Using machine learning, Edgewise recommends and prioritizes optimal policies to eliminate 98% of network attack surface and protect the rest.