ROCHESTER, N.Y.--(BUSINESS WIRE)--Today the Eastman Kodak Company and Bullitt Group announced the availability of a U.S. GSM version of the KODAK EKTRA Smartphone. The U.S. launch coincides with a software update addressing requests from our photo-enthusiast consumers—including RAW support, improved auto-focus performance, and optimizations to auto-white balance and color saturation.
“As the camera-first smartphone, the KODAK EKTRA reimagines the traditional camera as an always-on, connected device,” said Jeff Clarke, Kodak Chief Executive Officer. “Our users tell us that EKTRA is reawakening their passion for photography once again.”
“Driven by the enthusiasm from customers in the UK, we are thrilled to bring KODAK EKTRA to photo enthusiasts in the U.S.,” said Peter Stephens, CEO Bullitt Group, a Kodak licensee for mobile devices. “We are introducing new features and performance adjustments with today’s software update to help drive our customers’ creativity at an incredible value.”
In 2016, the KODAK EKTRA Smartphone won the Silver Award in the New York Design Awards for its classic style and iconic design. The KODAK EKTRA has a look-and-feel similar to a DSLR camera experience with a wrist-strap, a dedicated dual-press shutter button, and a large-glass cover on the 21 megapixel/f2.0 aperture lens. The KODAK EKTRA is ergonomically-weighted to feel like a camera in horizontal or vertical orientation, and the lens glass is coated to improve light absorption by the sensor. The KODAK EKTRA is preloaded with curated apps including the SNAPSEED photo-editing tool, prints, and the Super 8 app featuring filters and vignettes including EKTACHROME and KODACHROME Films.
Powered by a Media-Tek Helio X20 core processor running the GOOGLE ANDROID system, the KODAK EKTRA also features a 13-megapixel front-facing camera, and a rear-facing camera with the ability to capture 4K video. Scene selection modes ensure great images based on the context including HDR, Landscape, Portrait, Macro, Sport, Night-time, Panorama and Bokeh. Manual mode gives access to additional advanced settings and sophisticated controls, allowing adjustments to exposure, ISO, focus, white balance and shutter speed, and enabling considered photography. GOOGLE SNAPSEED is also pre-loaded for additional image editing and enhancement features. See examples of images shot with the KODAK EKTRA on Instagram tagged with #KodakEktra.
The KODAK EKTRA unleashes creativity and makes a visual statement with a range of high-touch accessories including over-the-shoulder camera-styled leather cases in Black & Scarlet and Tan & Ochre. In collaboration with Poppy Jamie and Suki Waterhouse, the case is also available in Pop & Suki’s signature millennial pink.
The KODAK EKTRA Smartphone is available for $399.99, sold unlocked and SIM free at retailers including B&H Photo Video, Best Buy, Amazon and kodakphones.com.
To find out more visit www.kodakphones.com.
What’s new in Version 2.009.00 /_A
- Enhanced single handed camera functionality; when the camera app is enabled the Android touch buttons are now disabled to avoid an accidental press when using the camera with one hand
- Added RAW file support in manual mode; shooting in RAW records all the data from the sensor enabling more sophisticated image processing options
- Improved auto focus making in quicker and more accurate
- Improved Face Detection performance for better portrait photos
- Optimisations to the Auto White Balance and colour saturation
- Improvements to shutter speed performance
- New option to disable Auto Scene Detection in smart auto mode
- New shutter effect to provide visual indication of when a picture is taken
- Enhanced low light performance
- Optimisations to the noise reduction algorithm from ISO 100-6400
- Introduces a new ‘How To’ camera tutorial on the new functionality
KODAK EKTRA Smartphone key features:
- ANDROID 6.0 (Marshmallow)
- Professional results from a 21MP fast focus camera sensor with F2.0, PDAF, OIS, Dual LED Flash
- 13MP phase detection auto focus front-facing camera with F2.2 PDAF
- Helio X20 2.3GHz Decacore processor with 3GB RAM
- 32GB memory, expandable with MicroSD cards
- Advanced Manual Mode – adjustable on Exposure, ISO, Focal Length (Manual/Auto), White Balance, Shutter Speed, Aperture (fixed f2.0 main camera)
- Familiar scene selection dial experience – includes scene modes Smart Auto, Portrait, Manual, Sports, Bokeh, Night-time, HDR, Panorama, Macro, Landscape, Film / Video
- Integrated high quality printing app
- Super 8 Video Recorder
- Integrated social media sharing
- 3000mAh, with USB 3.0 Type C fast charger
About Bullitt Group
Bullitt Group enables the world’s leading brands to enter into rapid growth consumer technology categories creating broader appeal and new, long-term income streams in the process.
Since its formation six years ago Bullitt Group has designed, manufactured and distributed millions of mobile phones, audio products, other connected devices and related peripherals to more than 60 countries across the globe.
Bullitt Group’s Head Office is in Reading, England with additional office locations in Taipei (Taiwan), Shenzhen (China), New York (USA).
Kodak is a technology company focused on imaging. We provide – directly and through partnerships with other innovative companies – hardware, software, consumables and services to customers in graphic arts, commercial print, publishing, packaging, electronic displays, entertainment and commercial films, and consumer products markets. With our world-class R&D capabilities, innovative solutions portfolio and highly trusted brand, Kodak is helping customers around the globe to sustainably grow their own businesses and enjoy their lives. For additional information on Kodak, visit us at kodak.com, follow us on Twitter @Kodak, or like us on Facebook at Kodak.
Kodak and Ektra are trademarks of Kodak, licensed to Bullitt Mobile Limited (UK). Kodak phones are manufactured, sold and distributed by Bullitt Mobile Limited (UK), under license from Eastman Kodak Company.